Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30

Author Topic: Heirship: A Suggestion Game  (Read 29402 times)

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Heirship: A Suggestion Game
« Reply #315 on: September 21, 2013, 08:36:31 am »

To speed up a bit, I'm going to skip the separate post about searching the castle and just fold it into the next roleplay on preparing to visit a ye olde faire. The resolution to that exchange above could be by PMs, so I locked the thread till I could put something constructive here, which is inbound as you read this. I'd point out that speedy and 3man had the exact same exchange in Lordship, and it ended with speedy being sincere, as he probably was this time, so that's hilarious. He does have a way of giving an unintended sarc vibe. At any rate...
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 21, 2013, 08:48:04 am »

Roleplay IV -- All's Fair

Spring slinks away under the stern yellow glare of the sun ascending to its solstice. For most youth in the city, the mischief and merriment of a mild spring have given way to the sweaty languor of an oppressive summer; but for the chosen band of young castle boys, which you call the Knights of the Keep, or "The Keepers" as the term soon devolves, the summer yields no respite. They spar and drill enthusiastically in the heat and thick humid air of the season. The thought that they might accompany their young lord on a journey outside the castle walls, nay incalculably farther, beyond their entire world to a prestigious gathering in Feroshire, full of new sights and heroic feats, gives them a sense of wonder and a commitment to the task at hand.

And the task at hand is being coached by Luther and Symeon to make a good mummery. After the announcement, the two parcelled out harmless wicker weaponry and shields to all the boys and then set to crafting a proper exhibition from what originally had been an impromptu wrestling match. To say that Luther and Symeon diverge a little in their styles and tastes would be an understatement in search of a knowing chuckle. And they had different visions for the exhibition.

Symeon extolls the need to incorporate theatrics and derring-do, bright costumes and drama, if the crowd is to be kept enthralled. You are to be cast as the ancient hero, Lodovech, facing the ancient nemesis, Goemagot. Your boys will skirmish with the giant in a most droll fashion by throwing dirt clods (and in situ probably horse pies) at him and then scampering away from retaliation. When this has played out long enough, you will enter, give a grand speech and charge toward the giant on your pony, striking him a mortal blow with your wicker lance, designed to snap with satisfying loudness. After receiving this wound, the giant will give a despairing speech about the inconquerable puissance of the kingdom's knights. Finally you will jump atop his shoulders from the pony and strike the coup de grace.

Luther, on the other hand, does little but train you all in marching and holding a formation of pikes, or reforming one after being broken. He has little interest in speeches or motifs, or even helping you practice with the lance.

One day, Symeon comes down from the Keep with a small entourage to survey the practice, his servants and hangers-on setting out a chair under the shade of a parasol to spare his complexion, meanwhile Luther's face has turned apple-red from the sun and exertion among the boys. "Luther, whatever are you hoping to accomplish here, because this incessant infantry drill is boring. This will never excite a crowd. Has his Lordship been taught the lance yet? Are we attending a tournament of knights, or a Baabar war dance with all these spears?" His followers titter behind their kerchiefs.

To such flippant remarks from the sidelines, a tired Luther snorts in irritation, "Drill and discipline are the proper way to fight an overwhelming opponent, not foolish personal combat."

"Yes. Quite right. One wouldn't wish to witness personal combat at a tournament, I suppose. Still, I would have expected more zeal for lance and horsemanship, since others do call you Sir Hobby Horse, you know."

Luther, perhaps for the first time in your memory, appears truly nettled; and he rounds hotly on his observer. "Men acquainted with real battle, Milord Daffinois, not the pageantry of these tournaments, would appreciate a well-held line of pikemen that the giant cannot breach. The power of cavalry came to naught at Mumsford Hill, Milord. I was there in the slaughter. If there must be a demonstration, let it be of discipline, rather than of clownish antics and gaudy colours and knightly heroics. Tourneys are a relic, Milord Daffinois, a bright and flashy nothing! Perhaps that is why you presume to know so much about them!"

Symeon shakes in rage, his pale face now flush, and he claps his hands. Servants hastily fetch his furniture and join his procession back to the Keep. You meanwhile are confounded by a different conflict. In a shock to your conceptions of knighthood, Sir Luther appears to belittle the importance of mounted combat and personal duels, the very stem from which the flower of knighthood grows!

Eventually, you will probably have to express your own preferences for the mummery. Hoever, coinciding with the creative differences of Symeon and Luther coming to a boil, the summer heat also does. Tom Bastard and Morcant Collier pass out from exhaustion that day. Even your most dedicated Knights of the Keep agree that the practices must be postponed for the hottest month.

In the return to aimless boredom, you begin to explore the dark and narrow places of the Keep. Here you uncover and defeat the best-laid plots of hundreds of rats and spiders to invade the castle, but little else of note. Until one night, thinking to escape Nanna's search at bed-time, you return to poking around in the dark of the dusty attic.

"There you are." You jump in surprise at the unexpected company in the dark attic. They found you already, it seems, but when you scan around the darkness you see nothing. Who could have found you so soon? The sweet voice intrudes again. "You always sneak in when I least expect."

Mother! Lady Marna! Here! In the dark attic! Your desertion from your bed must really have upset everyone downstair. "I've been looking for you. I can't thank you enough, my love. For your service to me, and to Sam before me. You've always been there for us. A royal page! Such an opportunity. And he'll be safe there."

The rumble of a man's voice, muffled, issues from a hole in the chimney right near where you were exploring. He can't be heard, but Marna speaks as if right next to you, apparently nearer the fireplace in her bedchamber. "Now if only you could control your son!" Laughter. Her interlocutor comes nearer, and you hear a thick underclass accent. "Now, now, me Moll, don't ring me a peel about 'im. E'll make an upright man yet. The doxy as 'e came from was a prime article, but for 'er broken ankle."

"Is that how you spoke at the royal court, Milord?" Laughter again.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 21, 2013, 09:25:33 am »

Continue eavesdropping. Try to make out who the man is.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 21, 2013, 10:11:59 am »

Also peek at the conversation carefully.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 21, 2013, 11:01:10 am »

+1

I hope we're not in her bedroom and their doing what any male would do with a widow woman looking for a break.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 21, 2013, 12:22:37 pm »

You are in the attic, near the chimney that vents smoke up from fireplace of the Lord's Bedchamber. The chimney has a missing brick, which permits fragments of conversations in the Lord's Bedchamber to be heard in the attic. You doubt that you could peek at the people below; but if you rushed down quickly, you might catch her furtive guest unawares. Else, you can stay and listen. Either-or scenario, I'm afraid.

3man, you are not, but they are in her bedroom, and he is speaking familiarly with her. However, the underclass argot in which he spoke probably doesn't have a concept of polite distance like courtly speech. Other than that, there is no evidence, pro or contra... err... yet.  :-[
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 21, 2013, 12:43:43 pm »

You are in the attic, near the chimney that vents smoke up from fireplace of the Lord's Bedchamber. The chimney has a missing brick, which permits fragments of conversations in the Lord's Bedchamber to be heard in the attic. You doubt that you could peek at the people below; but if you rushed down quickly, you might catch her furtive guest unawares. Else, you can stay and listen. Either-or scenario, I'm afraid.

3man, you are not, but they are in her bedroom, and he is speaking familiarly with her. However, the underclass argot in which he spoke probably doesn't have a concept of polite distance like courtly speech. Other than that, there is no evidence, pro or contra... err... yet.  :-[

SHUSHHH

"I wanna hear how mommy makes the horny man go way" said little Isaac to the GM

An don't sweat if they do Isaac would probably just go back to his room scared for his life. That's good for kids right?

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 21, 2013, 01:02:21 pm »

I can assure you, my dear sir, that I run a thread of repute! This establishment is not a wanton knocking-house filled with lubricity and prurient interest! All that stuff I permit to occur off-screen in your minds. Which it eagerly does.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 21, 2013, 01:34:28 pm »

I can assure you, my dear sir, that I run a thread of repute! This establishment is not a wanton knocking-house filled with lubricity and prurient interest! All that stuff I permit to occur off-screen in your minds. Which it eagerly does.

Alright gerv mommy's never lonely and is shiing example of a woman that would never leave her husband even after marriage.  ;D

BTW gerv can you put marna's words pink and his words bolded? ya'know for distinction?

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 21, 2013, 05:57:17 pm »

Posting to watch.
I read the old Lordship, but never participated, so this looks like a great time to get into it.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Plato Play-Doh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 22, 2013, 02:24:21 pm »

I say eavesdrop.

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting retarded ideals since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 22, 2013, 04:18:40 pm »

@ 3man:
I was sincere in my post earlier. from now on, I will denote all sarcastic remarks with a /sarcasm so e do not have this problem again.

@ gervassen:
I agree with Plato. Let us eavesdrop upon our mother's conversation. Something is afoot that may move us away from our castle. This could prove to be disastrous for our Knights of the Keep! If what Marna is talking about what I think she is talking about, we will be whisked away from our home to be trained in the arts of a page. before that happens, i propose these three things must be taken care of:
  • begin to work on our relationship with our future subjects as a 'man of the people' much like our father before us.
  • we should tell our peers about our eventual absence, appointing a temporary leader to act in our stead: specifically telling them that when we return to Folesden, there will be heck to pay if the 'knights' do anything unbecoming of one such as them.
  • For heaven's sakes: start looking into learning how to read and wrote so we can read Count Folesden's old diary!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 22, 2013, 04:40:13 pm »

@ 3man:
I was sincere in my post earlier. from now on, I will denote all sarcastic remarks with a /sarcasm so e do not have this problem again.
I prefer TV Tropes links. It leaves a LOT of room for interpretation, although I don't like TV Tropes at all.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 22, 2013, 06:48:25 pm »

Roleplay IV -- Part II

"To the abram coves as cop the whids, me dell. Every city 'olds its share of canters, by one name or another."

You decide to eavesdrop on the conversation further, trying to place his voice among the castle inhabitants, but already deathly certain that you haven't heard the peculiar terms that he employs so glibly; and the sounds of the accent itself are seldom heard outside the warrens of the city slums. Within the castle, servants often scandalised each other by slipping lightly into such an accent, and only a few of the more unruly boys affected to speak brazenly like little street urchins, and that mainly to disavow their otherwise respectable upbringings. You doubt you would overlook a grown man within the castle walls that openly spoke such a thick accent. Then, in an abrupt complication, the man continues speaking.

"But t' those wha ken o' it, I spek t' Upcountry amang 'em and they cleppit me a true brither." the man replies, his tenor losing pitch to become a convincing baritone; Marna giggled at the contrast. It's a daunting task, you soon discover, merely to pin down which voice is truly his.

His voice now gains a high-pitched nasally accent that you only noted on an occasional traveller. "but at se royal cour' se fashion now is to sprinkle your speech wis an absurd easteraun accen' like so. The eastern dukes grow in power there, and the king of Luce menaces the border region where they grow greedy and daring. The eastern lords are mongrels without true allegiance or true mother tongue. If those that control the throne are not careful, perhaps one day, the royal court will speak Luchais proper."

Marna snorted. "Hmph. You'd like that, love. Nevertheless your repertory is amazing. I would scarce know your real voice if you did not tell me--and that costume is ridiculous. I should know nothing of your true nature that you did not tell me. And as for that... I wonder at times. My lord husband never mentioned you."

"Not garnering mention is my stock in trade. If I could not move and converse naturally in many circles, what meagre service I should provide. And if I were so common a servant as to be named aloud, how short that service would endure the light. But doubt me not in loyalty, madame. Lord Stone always called me his Hound; for like the Hound himself, I loyally scent out every fox."

A long pause. "I shall accept your protestations of faith, Milord, but I take issue with a regrettable gap in your repertoire of covers. What of the local Hintern burr? tha ort not forget th' raight stout Hintern burr just because they're bumpkins. You could move about the countryside, and I need a light shed on Sir Denton's troubles. He seems queerly out of sorts ever since... that day. Yes, I need ears in the countryside. In fact, I shall teach you myself!"

Another long pause. "I would rather that you teach me other things with your mouth, fair madame."

A startled gasp. "You scurrilous rogue! This dell's ankle is not to be sprained, Milord Impertinence! Out, out!" The man chuckles softly, "Adieu, adieu, Milady Virtue!" Marna returns a breathless giggle as you hear the door click shut.

You are lost in a roiling sea of perplexity when you return to bed of your own volition. The enigma of the faceless voice interrupts your thoughts continually, as Luther and Symeon take turns during the hiatus of the summer's heat to influence what sort of exhibition you elect to perform.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:13:32 am by Gervassen »
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 23, 2013, 01:12:55 am »

Added more colour to fill in who the man is. I hope I'm not committing sacrilege.  ;)

Before we proceed, settle on a style of mummery. Luther's drab exhibition of good soldiery, the excessive flair of Symeon, or anything else you concoct.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:15:58 am by Gervassen »
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30