Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30

Author Topic: Heirship: A Suggestion Game  (Read 29368 times)

Plato Play-Doh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heirship: A Suggestion Game
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 02:52:33 pm »

So the battle was won? It sounds like the king still rules, at least, well at least as far as Samuel Stone knows...

That's what it looks like, yeah.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 03:15:32 pm »

Fair warning but I want isaac to be an emotionally unstable adult with wicked plots for sea raiders AND his enemies! Sorry if its drastic but the goody too shoes is too simple for me.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 03:51:45 pm »

I think Sam Stone would, as his health fails, tell his retainers to protect and serve Isaac and to help forge him into a might man and warrior. I also think Sam Stone would tell his squire (whose name i forgot) to protect Marna, Isaac and the unborn child in Marna's womb.

I think, as a child, We should cry.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 03:58:40 pm »

I think Sam Stone would, as his health fails, tell his retainers to protect and serve Isaac and to help forge him into a might man and warrior. I also think Sam Stone would tell his squire (whose name i forgot) to protect Marna, Isaac and the unborn child in Marna's womb.

I think, as a child, We should cry.

Squire's name is...Joral?

Anyways yeah i think we can all agree that isaac loved his father being the town champ that he was.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 04:01:54 pm »

Luther was the squire.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 07:04:13 am »

PTW.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 07:13:32 am »

I should probably allow most things to be explored in character, but since Isaac is little and everyone is anxious, I'll just reveal that the King did survive. Anything else... well, there are characters who know more, and children love asking questions.

What Sam Stone told his retainers is anyone's guess, kahn, but that sounds reasonable and in-character. As you develop, there will be people with agendas silently watching over you, perhaps unnoticed, in order to protect you and to... otherwise.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 07:32:01 am »

Turn I -- Summer, Age 5

Lady Marna started to lead you away, but you reached out for Father's hand. "No! Don't leave me, Father!"

Father took your hand in his as you were being pulled from his bedside, and after clasping for a brief moment, your little hand came away damp with his cold sweat. "Father needs to rest, little one."

The courtiers closed their ranks around Father once again. Your tears welled up, and you whispered, "Goodbye, Daddy..." toward the throng. Mother shot you a pained look, realising that you understood what was happening. She picked you up and hurried you back to your room before her strength could shatter in front of you. Returned to your own chamber, your surveyed the aftermath of the carnage. The battle had been won--or perhaps it had been lost, since you had quite forgot that detail by now--but, at any rate, a great quantity of wooden knights and horses lay scattered across the floor. Sobbing in the solitude of your room, you recovered Father from the battlefield and hugged him as your threw yourself down on your bed.

A bell tolled in the darkness, and you finally awoke from your long sleep. It was the Cathedral of Saint Theobald nearby. Its massive bell produced a deep booming that split asunder the peace and stillness of the night, which then returned momentarily between strokes, as the great bronze beast swung itself ponderously around to strike again with another resounding roar. In between the slow beats of this pealing, other bells began to chime and take up the call in diverse rhythms and tones till the night was all a-clamour. It seemed like every bell in the city, from Saint Mary-a-Cheap in the wharf district to Saint Mary-a-Gate outside the walls, was ringing now. Mother entered your room holding a candle, and the shadows of the candlelight had carved out a theatre mask of grief on her face. Father was truly gone.

The day of the funeral was bright and sunny. A few puffy white clouds scudded across the blue sky, occasionally casting their quick flits of dark shadow on the funereal procession. Yet soon they would pass over. Mother, too, was warm grateful smiles to well-wishers and unhappy frowns in private moments. Fortunately, the well-wishers were many, so mother was mostly happy today. Percy was there, Father's oldest friend and a very brave knight; and the youthful Denny, who knelt down to look you in the eye, smiled at you wistfully, and said he owed your father his life that day. You almost asked him who owed him a new face, so much was your shock at seeing the livid red scar that had buried half of it beneath swelling. You hoped to see Uncle Erran, who always brought a wonderful new toys from Torchester with each visit, but you looked the entire day in vain. Only an assemblage of other minor nobles and functionaries of the County. You learned a dozen times over how much you resembled your father, and managed to smile each time.

The fields were still wet from the morning rains, and the crops were beginning to push up from the earth in thick verdant rows. You sat on your bed, holding brave Sir Samuel Stone in your hands. You had chipped his wooden face on the day of... on that day. Fortunately, you were spared further recollection, when the door flew open and Nanna burst into the room in an outrage.

"Young Lord Stone! Is this any way for a proper boy to act! The summer is almost over, and here you fritter it away in your room! Your mother would be most displeased. Go! I don't care what you do, but I won't have you spending the day in this room!"

"But Nanna, the ground is still muddy!"

Nanna scowls at your logical and yet deeply insufficient answer, "And do you think we give Nella threepence haypenny a week just to flounce around in front of the guards? If clothes are stained, then clothes will be washed. Now go! Off with you!" She takes the wooden knight from you and propels you out the door.

Outside your chamber, you ponder the things that you usually like to do around the castle and its environs. You could try to go find Mother in the Great Hall or the Council Chamber, but she is often worn-out and unhappy these days, either surrounded by courtiers whose smiles discomfort you, or surrounded by physicians who give her foul-smelling physic for her growing belly and unborn child. Or you could go down to the barracks, where sometimes there's a good training scrum to watch. Or to the kitchens, where the cook usually gives you a treat. There are young children a-play in the field, ample opportunity to avenge yourself on Nanna by muddying your clothes. Visit Saint Theobald, where your father is interred. Find people to pester with annoying questions. Explore the nooks and crannies of castle...

Your young mind races ahead at all the possibilities, your room suddenly forgotten. You pass by a lancet arch, and stop to look out over the sights of the wider city that is still off-limits to you. One day you will see it all, like Father!

But until then... how does the young Lord Stone usually pass his days?

Spoiler: Acquaintances (click to show/hide)

These suggestions are not only what you plan to do today, but more broadly, what you will do for the next year. We want to get through childhood sooner than later, after all. Some suggested actions might happen once, others might be habitual over a year. Depends on context. For each suggestion, I will give a vignette of how that develops your character and leads to discovery and interaction with other characters. More agreement for something means that thing is done more often or with higher priority than other things. Don't feel constrained by the given choices. Now you are five years old, next turn, six years.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 10:01:04 am by Gervassen »
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 07:52:08 am »

Go to the barracks and watch them train. Maybe we'll learn to fight like father. If we have time, go play with children to ease our minds from Father.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 07:55:13 am »

For future reference, did our family move to Curbiston permanently, or are we back in Feroshire?

Agree with going to the barracks and playing with other children.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 08:12:29 am »

Marna, while strong in many ways, lacks the force of personality and logistical flair that Sir Stone could have used to relocate the capital. She took her advisors' counsel to remain in Curbiston as the established hub of the County.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 08:22:36 am »

+1 for playing and watching people poking their sticks at each other.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 08:25:34 am »

Go learn to fight.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 08:45:49 am »

Squire's name is...Joral?
Wasn't Joral that one Sea Raider woman who spoke...whatever language Stone's kingdom speaks?

One thing I'm interested in and almost certain we'll never find out is the fate of the Rat.

Hm...I suppose watching the people in the barracks fight would be a mixture of productive and something a little boy would do. Why not?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 08:52:30 am »

I think we'll see the Rat eventually.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30