Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30

Author Topic: Heirship: A Suggestion Game  (Read 29378 times)

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Heirship: A Suggestion Game
« Reply #360 on: September 28, 2013, 08:42:03 pm »

All's Fair -- Part IIIe

"Mother, why do you have so much paperwork next to you? Isn't that where daddy use to sleep?"

Marna stretches with a tired yawn. "Oh! If only daddy were here, little one, I should be able to rest! We leave tomorrow, and these papers tell me the people and things that we will be taking. There is much to prepare, and not enough daylight." She fishes through the papers and pulls out one. "Come here. Since you are here, you may as well decide this."

You totter over and sit on her bed, and she sniffs at you. "Ugh. Starting so early. You didn't get that fondness for the cup from my side! Do try and be moderate about it, my dear." She hands you a report written in a messy unskilled hand, which would challenge a boy much more well-lettered than you, and you merely stare blankly at it for half a minute. She sighs in exasperation and pulls you closer to her, snatching the paper from your hands. "Would that you had your father's curiosity for books, at least! Your truancy from school has reached me, young sir! Here, I will help you read this. This is the roster that Sir Luther has kept of your delightful little acting troupe."

You snuggle up against Mother and work through the list with her. You realise how little the time you spend with her, and suspect the culprit is the pile of papers that she has just pushed to one side, not the mysterious voice in the dark. She finishes the long list and explains, "I can spare your little troupe only two carriages holding five children and a chaperone, the rest must go on the common carts. Who will go in your carriage, who in the other carriage, and who among the supplies and provisions? If you are old enough to souse your brains in cider, you are old enough to begin using them for the real business of Lordship!"

You should be aware when taunting my updates that, as a Game Master, I have at my disposal a dizzying array of fiendish torments to unleash upon impertinent players. Vilest of these by far is assigning you bureaucratic paperwork, which in order to teach you some sympathy for Marna, I'll now inflict. (Actually, Cheesecake requested this list long ago.) And 3man, he's 6 years, 8 months.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heirship: A Suggestion Game -- Now with Gratuitous Bureaucracy
« Reply #361 on: September 28, 2013, 08:55:32 pm »

Briefly: we ride our horse, the boys with the fewest combined absences and demerits get the carriages.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 28, 2013, 09:46:58 pm »

All's Fair -- Part IIIf

Marna responds to your quick answer with a bit of embarrassment for the ways of the world. "Yes, that is very fair. Very fair indeed. And may one day things be so simple as that, my dear. However, I see that little Thomas Scale is among the list. He is of excellent family. I'm sure he meant to attend more rehearsals. And as for the rest..."

She squints in the candlelight and rubs her temples in weariness. "Fine! I am sick of worrying about preparations for tonight! Take the paper, check the names as you wish, and see that it is handed to Luther in the morning. Goodnight, Isaac."

Riding the pony is a good tactic to remove the added dignity of riding with the Count himself and equalise the carriages. However, we forgot about Gervaise. Common carts, too? Those things are very jouncy and filled with bulky and heavy goods. Fair warning.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Plato Play-Doh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 29, 2013, 06:35:56 am »

We have to take Hammy, of course, and Cadmon would be offended were we not to take him. Don't want any trouble at the fair, do we? We should bring Thomas Scale as well. As for the others...surely we have gotten to know these boys, after drilling with them and being their leader and brother in arms. Could we get a list telling us how close we are to each of our men? That might help.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 29, 2013, 10:09:40 am »

*kiss mommy in the cheek and scamper of to the list workings*

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 29, 2013, 12:17:37 pm »

Sure, Playdoh. Drill down as far as you like. Although the assigning of seats doesn't need to be based on inscrutable details--a few general insights could do the trick without a hitch--still I like to think the background is decently fleshed out.

Additional Notes

The Roster

You can assume that Luther sat down and began writing names on paper as the names came to him, in order of which children he knew best; and as a knight, he is more familiar with nobles and their children than cooks and theirs. Hammy is far down the list, but nearer to your own heart, perhaps.

Spoiler: Court Boys (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Barracks Boys (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Kitchen Boys (click to show/hide)

Further notes: naming conventions and military structures

The roster is well worth a peek if you are interested in medieval naming customs. It is not a load of gibberish like so many lists of fantasy names. This list was filled out over a month. There's a certain amount of historical depth if one is of the mind to dig. Luther's last name, Muchel, for example, means in the vernacular of middle english the Big Guy. Some names are descriptive like this, others are occupational, and quite a few are patronyms of their fathers. A few surnames are becoming hereditary, but not most of them.

However, the terms I use in the list often can't be found online, or even have the wrong definitions, which adds to the confusion. I would recommend the full version of the Oxford English Dictionary, which retains entries for words that long ago became obscure and disused. This is particularly a problem with the guardsmans' ranks.

I have used a rank called vintener, which modern online dictionaries will tell you meant wine-maker once. That shows how superficial the internet sources that claim to be authorities really are.  In fact, a vintener is a soldier who commands twenty other soldiers, which are known as a vintaine of troops. Here are the OED entries.

Spoiler: Vintaine (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Vintener (click to show/hide)

As you can see, an officer of one hundred men is called a centener. The retained soldiers of this particular County do not number high enough to warrant a retainer of centener rank, but whatever the size of a body of men, whether 50 or 500 men, there is always a captain or two in overall command of its parts, because every body needs a head (Latin caput). 
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 29, 2013, 12:28:25 pm »

I've forgotten, how far is it from Curbiston to Feroshire?
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 29, 2013, 12:47:49 pm »

Good question. I wanted to say 2 days, but actually it appears the length is 4 days of unhurried travel. Due to choices made, you will likely stumble upon a good map in Feroshire.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 29, 2013, 01:10:28 pm »

This idea is somewhat half-baked, but what if instead of the carts, we have the ten boys not in the carriages walk alongside us, as a bodyguard of sorts? I understand the physical limitations of children, so I know this will probably generate complaints, or worse, but it will might give our little band a feel of martial spirit, and the threat of being denied the honor of being in the Lord's personal guard should be enough to keep everyone somewhat in line.

This would have to be accompanied by the carriages being filled by a rotation, as it wouldn't do to have the same boys get/have to sit in the carriages for all four days.

EDIT: I'm unsure what we would do about Gervaise though, so let's go talk with him about why he wants into our company, and to go to Feroshire.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 01:12:03 pm by Beneviento »
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Plato Play-Doh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 29, 2013, 02:59:11 pm »

We should have a private conversation with Gervaise without the other boys around before we set off. Let him know that we wish him no ill will, but some of the other boys would be offended if we treated him like "one of the gang". He has to ride with the commoners, in order to keep order. I'm sure he'll understand. Oh, and maybe try to convince him to train with us a bit.

I say we bring all six of the kitchen boys in our retinue, and have Hammy, Cadmon, Thomas, and Armaut in the same carriage as us. The other five in the other carriage. I think we should have all the Keepers sleep near each other, however. A separate fire, around which the Keepers sit and sleep. Gervaise can come there, too.

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 29, 2013, 03:04:22 pm »

Just had an idea about Gervaise. Do you all remember how we set trials for Hammy and Cadmon to see if they were worthy to become captains, or something like that? Why don't we do the same for Gervaise, and set him a trial to prove to Cadmon and the rest that he's worthy of joining us?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 29, 2013, 03:08:11 pm »

That is an excellent idea.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Plato Play-Doh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 29, 2013, 04:24:58 pm »

Just had an idea about Gervaise. Do you all remember how we set trials for Hammy and Cadmon to see if they were worthy to become captains, or something like that? Why don't we do the same for Gervaise, and set him a trial to prove to Cadmon and the rest that he's worthy of joining us?
+1

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 30, 2013, 07:54:44 pm »

If the kids dad gives us trouble later in the future BTW we can just remove him.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 02, 2013, 12:00:32 pm »

All's Fair -- Part IV

You kiss Mother on the cheek and head off to bed, list in hand. When you awaken shortly after dawn the next morning, servants are already packing up trunks and carrying them down the narrow corridor. You seek out Luther's quarters, and he helps you assign the travel accomodations with a slight grimace.

You then look for Gervaise, wishing to explain that he isn't a full member yet before he can perform a worthy trial, and also belatedly wondering why he crawled out of his usual nest of books and papers near the scriptorium in the first place. He never expressed interest before. You find him sitting on his cot, moaning, bedraggled with seaweed and green flecks of pondscum, clutching his expanse of forehead. Apparently much continued to transpire after you left.

"Oh, this." He replies to your obvious look of inquiry, plucking a limp strand of seaweed from his still damp robes. "I can't remember, but it involved all of your friends picking me up and heaving me into the duckpond. Maybe they sought to assay my true density according to the principles of flotation established by Archimedes of Syraccio. Eureka! I am made of flesh."

You push on past his impromptu bath, and ask him why he wants to go to Feroshire. He takes a small book from under his cot and hands its over. An Epitome on the Mathematical Expression of Natural Philosophy, by Gunther Agnacious, Philosophiae Doctor apud Scholam Feroshirensem . "Careful. It's already been soaked in cider. I need to go to Feroshire more than ever now. This learned man stayed there for many years; but he died here, in the great plague. This is the only trace of his works that remain here. Fascinating."

You explain that he can't be a full member of the Knights until he proves himself. "Oh. Well, whatever it takes. If being a full member gets me to Feroshire, I am a martyr for my books."

Over the next few hours, such an inflow of men and horses, such a jumble of carriages and carts, swamp the castle courtyard that your astounded little face can only gawk out a narrow window in the keep, serious doubting whether Feroshire has not instead decided to come to you, rather than you go there.

Around noon, the horns blow two short notes, the signal for the knights to take position at the lead. Mother whisks past your vantage point and finally dispels your doubts by peeling Luther off from her train of attendants to ensure that you board the right carriage. All this chaotic scene will be on the move soon. You will be leaving the walls of the keep for the first time in your memory.

Lest you drown in the multitude as you exit the Keep, Sir Luther hoists you up on one ample shoulder. You would be quite lost and afraid if not for him, but he conducts you swiftly through the crowds as few others could. Few fail to see him; and seeing him, none seek to block his way. This spell lasts until Luther has put you in the carriage with the other chosen boys and your chaperone, when abruptly Sir Winnifred Castelain accosts him and begins berating him for placing the nobleman's young son on a creaky old cart with sacks of turnips. However, your ears are spared the invective by two short and one long steady note by the trumpeteers. The signal for the setting out. Your carriage lurches away.

Nothing much to decide yet. There's only one input I would like. A random number: 1d20. The sensitive nature of the outcome warrants having this one roll out in the open. I have a time-stamped diagram of the results. Btw, I confess that I haven't entirely been busy the past few days. I've also been playing this story game. Excellent.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:03:19 pm by Gervassen »
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30