Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ruefully Routed Rutherers  (Read 605 times)

Nexaduro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ruefully Routed Rutherers
« on: August 06, 2013, 10:59:21 pm »

Sorry, my alliteration gland is acting up again.

The issue at hand is that I quite frankly have no idea how to tame these monstrosities. I can't find their dietary habits in the tags, and as I understand it, it's necessary to feed anything you intend to domesticate.

Currently I have five Rutherers locked up in constructed cages on spare farm grounds, and a training zone set up around them. It should also be noted that my fortress is currently suffering from a dearth of edible meat, if that's relevant.

Advice?

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: Ruefully Routed Rutherers
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 11:30:44 pm »

z-enter-scroll to rutherer-w-enter
Also, this is great.

Nexaduro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 12:24:22 am »

Also, this is great.
Thank you, and thank you.

Side question: is it worth it to allow newborn Rutherers to reach maturity? Obviously I'll want to keep some so I don't need to constantly retrain my beasties forever, but 10 years seems an awfully long wait.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 03:29:51 am »

Also, this is great.
Thank you, and thank you.

Side question: is it worth it to allow newborn Rutherers to reach maturity? Obviously I'll want to keep some so I don't need to constantly retrain my beasties forever, but 10 years seems an awfully long wait.

If you plan to run your fortress for a few more decades, it's worth it if you want to do a bit of animal husbandry or like having exotic meats.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 04:09:11 am »

don't try to train/tame animals brought in a siege. At some point it bugs out, though if it's a bug or feature I don't know.

You could slaughter them after 5 years, keeping only a breeding pair to make more young. You do need to fix the growth bug, either by doing it yourself, some dfhack trick, or using the latest LNP, or they'll be adult rutherers the size of baby rutherers
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Nexaduro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 08:55:17 am »

don't try to train/tame animals brought in a siege. At some point it bugs out, though if it's a bug or feature I don't know.

You could slaughter them after 5 years, keeping only a breeding pair to make more young. You do need to fix the growth bug, either by doing it yourself, some dfhack trick, or using the latest LNP, or they'll be adult rutherers the size of baby rutherers
I actually nabbed them in the caverns by wildly disregarding any notion of safety for my dwarves and trapping everything.