Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What does war training actually do?  (Read 1909 times)

deepdowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFMigrant]
    • View Profile
Re: What does war training actually do?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 03:09:17 pm »

I always prefer ducks or geese or something flying for spotting duty. Aside from running away, they'll also go up, giving them much more use as a distraction because they usually survive longer. Similarly, a war or hunting animal on that particular spot will die fast, unless it is an elephant or cave dragon or something, and will not buy you much time

Will they settle in their pastures again after that?
"So you're staring at the Matrix while memorizing every key combination for twelve hours a day....every day?"

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 03:17:09 pm »

I always prefer ducks or geese or something flying for spotting duty. Aside from running away, they'll also go up, giving them much more use as a distraction because they usually survive longer. Similarly, a war or hunting animal on that particular spot will die fast, unless it is an elephant or cave dragon or something, and will not buy you much time

Will they settle in their pastures again after that?

Nope, someone'll come to put them back into pasture, which mean a dwarf have to come up, unless it's inaccessible.

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 08:34:25 am »

I only wish there was a better interface for animal assigning, a la therapist.

Splinterz Therapist branch has a tab for animals. Incredibly helpful. (Visual animal traits \o/  ... incredible helpful for Eugenics to only keep the strongest male in the pack and get - on average - stronger pups next generation)

https://code.google.com/r/splintermind-attributes/

Also, dfhack's autobutcher function ("Keep 2 boars and 10 female pigs + unlimited piglets, whenever we have more, automatically assign the oldest animals for slaughter")

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 03:12:19 pm »

Ohohoho man, war geese. This needs to happen.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 03:15:23 pm »

em, no, that would defeat the whole idea behind them flying away and being even harder to hit than something that runs away... But hey, whatever makes you happy, it is very easy to edit in
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Prester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 05:48:32 pm »

i heared something about making them swim all the time to grow attributes

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 02:26:59 am »

I think I read it too, and the suggestion was quickly shot down. For dwarfs it works, but animals don't gain stats. You need CAN_LEARN for that I think. I might be wrong though
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 09:31:39 am »

I think I read it too, and the suggestion was quickly shot down. For dwarfs it works, but animals don't gain stats. You need CAN_LEARN for that I think. I might be wrong though

That's just skills, not stats I think.
Pages: 1 [2]