Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 311

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 489078 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #4590 on: September 07, 2023, 04:18:53 am »

Inb4 Belkor multiclasses to healer

Technically speaking, as a high level Ranger he already is... if his dump stat wasn't Wisdom.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: September 07, 2023, 06:04:33 am »

It's Serini's Gate, which she built in honour of Kraagor. I assume that the memorial aspect doesn't extend throughout the entire Gate, since this kind of interconnectivity (literally or otherwise) is the kind of shenanigan that a rogue might do to confuse and disorient intruders. Serini does know where all of the other gates are, so it's not a big stretch to assume she would know about their defenses and design.

Yea, but it seems ridiculously stupid to design her gate in such a way as to give clues concerning the other gates' defenses.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: September 07, 2023, 08:11:04 am »

actually, a replica of each and every gate dungeon with small, but incredibly deadly unexpected changes WOULD be very effective, given getting to hers is set up to be incredibly annoying such that one would likely go through EVERY other gate first that may be exactly what she did.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: September 07, 2023, 10:03:35 am »

Yea, but it seems ridiculously stupid to design her gate in such a way as to give clues concerning the other gates' defenses.

Xykon knows where the gates are because younger Serini wrote it (encoded) into her diary. It might be stupid, but it's not out of character.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: September 07, 2023, 10:05:49 am »

Slightly different, though. An encoded message in a diary she didn't anticipate anyone ever reading
As opposed to a trap/gate designed with someone hostile entering it in mind.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: September 07, 2023, 06:02:55 pm »

I mean... If you're encoding a message, you're doing so in the anticipation that someone unwanted might end up reading it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: September 19, 2023, 09:41:10 am »

Classics
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: September 22, 2023, 04:28:01 am »

I wonder what would happen if those disenchanters hit Redcloak's Unholy Symbol.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: September 22, 2023, 07:16:56 am »

With a normal holy symbol I'd guess probably nothing. I don't think (un)holy symbols are magical in of themselves, just conductive for channeling divine power. Maybe. Although if we're talking about Xykon's phylactery... good question. Disenchanters are high enough cr that it wouldn't be too silly for them to pose a threat to even something like a lich, but I'm not sure if holding a liches soul should/would be considered a "special ability" that can be drained. Or even how phylacteries actually work, which isn't percisely spelled out in the monster manual and I'm unsure if it was ever printed elsewhere. Although it'd make sense I suppose.

The bigger issue the disenchanter would face I notice, now that I'm rereading it's stat block, is when sucking from magic items with charges it sucks 10-40% of the current charges. So if you had a wand with 10 charges it'd suck like 4, then 2, then 2, then 1, then be stuck I guess? Suckling on that last remaining charge like me trying to get the last of the peanut butter out of the jar for a 3AM sandwich?

Every year hundreds of disenchanters starve to death trying to suck out the final charge from a wand. For the low low price of an enchanted shield per month, you can save a life. Call now.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: September 22, 2023, 08:06:51 am »

Sucking out 40% of a charge means you won't be able to fully cast the spell; so for a wand of missiles you wouldn't be able to launch a full cast of Magic Missile, just a Magic Miss.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: September 22, 2023, 03:46:46 pm »

The thing I was going for with the phylactery is that, besides being both a phylactery and Unholy Symbol, it's loaded with abjurations that would make destroying(or locating) it difficult. Plus, I wonder what kind of reaction Redcloak would have to seeing it de-magicked, and if Xykon would notice that reaction and figure out why. As far as Xykon knows, the Unholy Symbol Redcloak is using isn't his phylactery.

Also, are you reading the 3.5 stat block for disenchanters? Because these look like they might be from an older edition based on what I'm seeing on the GitP forum. I don't have access to anything more than the SRD so I don't know.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: September 22, 2023, 04:59:06 pm »

Also, are you reading the 3.5 stat block for disenchanters? Because these look like they might be from an older edition based on what I'm seeing on the GitP forum. I don't have access to anything more than the SRD so I don't know.

The one I was reading was the 3.0 stat block, but the book it's in (the first fiend folio) is in that gray area before 3.5 where it's before 3.5 was published but they knew 3.5 was coming so it's basically compatible with 3.5.

Of course, it could be from any edition or even have abilities heretofore unseen altogether. I wasn't making too serious a statement.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: October 10, 2023, 05:37:56 am »

Does Xykon have knees? We've never seen them.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: October 10, 2023, 08:20:09 am »

Yes, Xykon has knees. He used to be a human, and human skeletons have knees.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: October 10, 2023, 09:03:41 am »

Well, what do we define as a "knee"? The cartilage of the kneecap itself and most of the joint has almost certainly withered away, not to mention all of the musculature and other connective tissue, so that basically just leaves us with "the space between the femur and tibia" to be called a knee. Can the absence of something be a thing?
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 311