Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 558801 times)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #3585 on: March 04, 2019, 08:34:21 am »

I feel like he'd get petrified for that admittedly. After all, the petrification is for violating dwarf laws, not the actual spell casting. And I cant imagine that vandalising the council chamber wouldnt be against some law somewhere

That depens on 2 things.
A) Did dwarven lawgivers think about such things?
B) Is he within the chamber? He could smash the roof from the outside, where he would be unaffected by the barriers.

Which reminds me, if you get a ranged physical attacker between the barriers, they can attack through the blue barrier. V could try to Dimension Door through Orange with Roy or Haley to try it.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: March 04, 2019, 10:18:57 am »

I would assume barriers like that extend into the Astral Plane a la Dimensional Lock. Otherwise, that would be a pretty gaping hole in their defenses, considering how useful teleportation magic is. Teleport is only a 5th-level spell, Dimension Door is only 4th-level. Although it's actually ethereal travel and not astral(still blocked by Dimensional Lock), Blink is merely a 3rd-level spell and can phase through walls if you're feeling lucky.

Also, V cannot cast Dimension Door since Conjuration is one of their barred schools. Can't even use scrolls or wands with spells from the barred school.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: March 04, 2019, 10:23:14 am »

I don't know about in 3.5, but in 5e Misty Step is a 2nd level teleport that lets you travel 30ft in line-of-sight. As a bonus action. ;D
Because it only says that you need to be able to see the destination, you could presumably use it to bypass a transparent barrier. So yeah, teleportation magic is really common and obvious to guard against.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: March 04, 2019, 10:31:52 am »

Also, V cannot cast Dimension Door since Conjuration is one of their barred schools. Can't even use scrolls or wands with spells from the barred school.
I didn't know that about barred schools, wow!  I'm not sure even Use Magic Device would help, the way the rule's written (not that wizards get or typically need UMD).  So Haley's by far the party's best bet for teleportation magic, nice.  (Hm, I can't remember who actually used the teleport orb V bought)

Though this is actually just an excuse to work with NPCs for transportation, which is cool.  I love airships, teleport is too easy.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: March 04, 2019, 10:39:55 am »

I think it would be cheaper to just put an L-turn after the barrier to prevent casting from outside (that requires direct LoS at least).

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: March 04, 2019, 12:16:17 pm »

I would expect there to be a door behind the blue barrier, that could be kept open to allow firing inside.

I also wonder whether presenting holy symbols in council chambers and crushing garlic there are against the law.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: March 04, 2019, 12:48:30 pm »

No mentioning that you can't bring your lunch to the meet.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: March 04, 2019, 01:42:33 pm »

Wouldn't garlic be easy to counter with clothespins or otherwise plugging up their nose? It doesn't harm the vampires, they just hate the smell of it. Then again, it'd bother some mortals too.

I've seen one movie or show or something completely subvert the garlic thing with a vampire straight up eating garlic and loving it, so, it'd be funny to have them subvert it one way or another. AFAIK, the garlic thing isn't a DnD rule written in stone and is just a trope.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: March 04, 2019, 02:45:00 pm »

I feel like he'd get petrified for that admittedly. After all, the petrification is for violating dwarf laws, not the actual spell casting. And I cant imagine that vandalising the council chamber wouldnt be against some law somewhere

That would be OK, as the petrification only lasts as long as the meeting. As long as most of the vamps got dusted, they wouldn't be able to adapt instructions, making their plan relatively easy to foil.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: March 04, 2019, 02:57:56 pm »

I've seen one movie or show or something completely subvert the garlic thing with a vampire straight up eating garlic and loving it, so, it'd be funny to have them subvert it one way or another. AFAIK, the garlic thing isn't a DnD rule written in stone and is just a trope.

In 3.5 D&D vampires being repelled by garlic is a rule, although of course it's up to the GM if they want to enforce it. "Vampires cannot tolerate the strong odor of garlic and will not enter an area laced with it." is what it says in their stat block. So maybe plugging the nose would work. Or maybe they still won't enter an area laced with it. Depends on how you read it.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: March 04, 2019, 03:46:44 pm »

These ones don't breathe, blocking the nose does absolutely nothing if they continue to breathe through the mouth anyways.   Insert episode of vampire Durkon trying to imitate breathing.

If garlic still effects undead vampire, then just being in the presence of its aroma will do the trick and they'd need a sealed suit to ward it off.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: March 04, 2019, 04:54:39 pm »

Unless it's something that can be resisted with a will or constitution roll. As criptfeind said, it's open to interpretation and Rich uses a homebrew 3.5 for OOTS.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: March 04, 2019, 07:34:36 pm »

Wouldn't garlic be easy to counter with clothespins or otherwise plugging up their nose? It doesn't harm the vampires, they just hate the smell of it. Then again, it'd bother some mortals too.

Linked this for you
Love, scriver~

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: March 04, 2019, 09:21:05 pm »

Yeah, there's definitely some house-ruling going on with the vampires, and I'm not talking about the negative soul thing. One original rule being thrown out is the one where vampires cannot enter a place they don't have permission to enter. Otherwise, Gontor would not have been able to raid the Mechane for the teleport orb.
Unless you go heavy with the rules-lawyering and say that since the Mechane is a pirate ship, it's not bound by any laws regarding breaking & entering, and therefore anyone can enter.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: March 04, 2019, 09:25:52 pm »

Ha, I didn't realize that rule was in 3.5 but it is.  It's even "home or other building" and the inviter has to have authority to do so.
The Mechane probably isn't a building, but it's certainly a home.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 313