Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 558731 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #3495 on: January 21, 2019, 08:33:21 pm »

Aww, that's sweet.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: January 21, 2019, 08:33:50 pm »

"If I worried about all the things I don't worry about, I'd never stop worrying!"

I feel that way all the time, Roy.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 08:35:33 pm by Egan_BW »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: January 21, 2019, 09:11:15 pm »

Mundane Utility at its absolute best. Really, you've got a spell that can pass information to literally anyone you know in the entire multiverse, with only a 5% chance of the call failing if they're on a different plane(some planes worse, I assume planes with Wild, Impeded, or Limited Magic traits. Dead Magic planes impossible), and all it takes is a 10 minutes to make the call(and a bit of wire if you're an arcane caster).

Of course you're going to let Mom know you're okay from time to time. And I feel dumb because I never considered that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: January 21, 2019, 10:07:43 pm »

"If I worried about all the things I don't worry about, I'd never stop worrying!"

I feel that way all the time, Roy.

23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: January 22, 2019, 12:19:50 am »

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: January 22, 2019, 07:52:08 am »

This is why I love Durkon
Love, scriver~

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: January 22, 2019, 12:45:08 pm »

I got a strange idea. Could Sending be used to speak with dead people?
It has listed fail chance for interplanar Sending, that means that the target can be on a different plane.

Which is related to another question. Do dead clerics still get their spells? If yes, one could Send to someone living.
Dead Arcane casters would be limited by their lack of spellbook and material components.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: January 22, 2019, 12:51:16 pm »

This is why I love Durkon
I thought it was just your midget fetish...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: January 23, 2019, 04:00:02 pm »

I got a strange idea. Could Sending be used to speak with dead people?
It has listed fail chance for interplanar Sending, that means that the target can be on a different plane.
Don't see why not.
Which is related to another question. Do dead clerics still get their spells? If yes, one could Send to someone living.
Dead Arcane casters would be limited by their lack of spellbook and material components.
No idea.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: January 23, 2019, 06:52:40 pm »

Actually, it's only Wizards specifically limited by a lack of spellbook. Sorcerers can simply cast it if they know it and have a 5th-level(or higher) spell left and have the Eschew Materials feat.

That said, can a dead spellcaster regain spells on their afterlife plane? Eugene Greenhilt(a sorcerer) seems to have no problem, but while Eugene can and regularly does talk to his living son, there are apparently rules in place - only at night, while Roy is alone(or everyone else is asleep), and only by channeling through the Greenhilt ancestral sword. Also the "pass information only through cryptic bullshit" rule.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: January 23, 2019, 06:57:40 pm »

I'm going to guess that Eugine could use something like sending to get around those limitations, but doing things the non-magic-caster way is a convenient excuse to be unhelpful and spiteful.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: January 23, 2019, 07:52:27 pm »

I had to look this up to be sure, but Eugene was (is?) a wizard according to the wiki.  That matches my expectations since he was an apprentice, studious to a fault, and tried to get Roy to study magic.

More like V than, say, that sorceress in the bandit camp arc.  Charisma as a casting stat instead of intelligence.

...Speaking of which, Xykon is a *sorcerer* not wizard.  That really shouldn't have surprised me, he's pure chutzpah and pretty meh about long-term-planning.  That makes the spell list O-Chul worked out far more important than I realized.  I thought they were working out Xykon's spellbook contents, which would probably be "everything he wants", but he's actually limited to a relatively small and static list of spells known.

That's the advantage wizards have over sorcerers, and why they're "always prepared".  If they don't utilize their greater flexibility, by basically predicting the day's encounters, they're just worse than sorcerers.  But a sorcerer can be outmaneuvered once you know their tricks.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: January 23, 2019, 08:06:35 pm »

I've been playing a 5e low-level sorcerer and most of what I do is blast enemies with the same cantrips and 1st level damage spells repeatedly. :P
Well, until I picked up a carbine. Technologically advanced ruins are fun~

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: January 25, 2019, 10:52:26 am »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: January 25, 2019, 11:04:18 am »

Disarmed by mama there, heh.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 313