Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 558585 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #3345 on: September 26, 2018, 05:49:25 am »

Huh, quiddity is a real word:
1. the inherent nature or essence of someone or something.
2. a distinctive feature; a peculiarity.

Today I learnt.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: September 26, 2018, 06:10:27 am »

I mean the word sounded funny enough that I was 100% sure Rich didn't make it up, because if he did it'd have sounded cooler.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: September 29, 2018, 03:25:19 pm »

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: September 29, 2018, 03:40:49 pm »

The plot thickens!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: September 29, 2018, 04:58:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: September 29, 2018, 07:07:59 pm »

Two color snarl? Wouldn't that be put down pretty quick by the three pantheons working together?

Sounds like despite having a framework available for mortals ascended to god/demi-godhood, they never expected it to happen on their own without the guidance or otherwise under the auspices of the gods.

Mortals ascending seems to be common enough (out of what, thousands, millions of worlds?) to set up a framework, but it shows a lack of imagination that they didn't consider the possibility that a mortal would ascend that isn't otherwise under the auspices of one of the pantheons.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: September 29, 2018, 07:21:22 pm »

If you'd read Start Of Darkness you'd already know that.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: September 29, 2018, 07:57:28 pm »

Two color snarl? Wouldn't that be put down pretty quick by the three pantheons working together?

They could seal it away really well, sure, but they couldn't really kill it. A strong enough group of mortals probably could though, since they're three-color.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: September 29, 2018, 08:06:06 pm »

Hmm. Does this mean that goblins who are born after the dark one apotheosis are four-color beings, and thus a high level party of only gobliniods may be able to destroy the snarl permanently? :P

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: September 29, 2018, 10:16:23 pm »

They could seal it away really well, sure, but they couldn't really kill it. A strong enough group of mortals probably could though, since they're three-color.
Also, it'd probably quickly kill Thor and The Dark One.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: September 30, 2018, 01:35:39 am »

Hmm. Does this mean that goblins who are born after the dark one apotheosis are four-color beings, and thus a high level party of only gobliniods may be able to destroy the snarl permanently? :P
Dark One didnt make the Goblins, and there nothing to show he is responsible for goblin fucking other goblins. So they are probablt 3 colors.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: September 30, 2018, 06:08:00 am »

If you'd read Start Of Darkness you'd already know that.

I have read SoD, but as far as I remember Thor is just used to represent the "we do not want this guy around destroy him while we can" faction in the retelling? Expecting this to be a reveal of how thor is personally responsible.

its unclear how strong the "snarl" in the fabric of reality is on an objective level. All we know is that the gods see the only option of dealing with the 4-colour snarl as being to wrap it up in the threads of reality it is made of to lock it into place. Forever. Also yeah as someone said the Baby Snarl might gank the Dark One instantly and then the gods would have to wait another couple billion universes or something

edit: just noticed that Rich misspelled aperture as aperature
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 11:35:12 am by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: September 30, 2018, 02:39:21 pm »

its unclear how strong the "snarl" in the fabric of reality is on an objective level.
Could be possible to guess. Looking at the Divine Rules SRD, we can guess that Thor and the like would fall in the range of 16-20 Divine Ranks, varying between gods. They all clearly have worshipers that number in the millions - stated here that there are 10 million dwarves alone, mostly worshiping Thor. Hel, starved of worshipers and souls, probably rates a lower Divine Rank. The Snarl could qualify as an "overdeity"(DR of 21+) - even the SRD's description of an overdeity eerily correlates to the Snarl:
These entities are beyond the ken of mortals and care nothing for worshipers. They do not grant spells, do not answer prayers, and do not respond to queries. If they are known at all, it is to a handful of scholars on the Material Plane.

It seems that when the various pantheons combine their powers, they can create something of a higher Divine Rank than any of them. It could be translated directly from the number of colors used in the process, since The Dark One is a single god with a uniquely-colored quiddity, yet alone could tip the balance against the Snarl if his power was added to the other pantheons. I suppose a two-color Snarl would rate a lower DR than the current Snarl, but still stronger than any of the other gods.

As for actual stats and abilities, a few things can also be guessed at. During Hinjo's crayon exposition it was theorized that the Snarl has an ability that gives it a bonus against Divine beings. In the same exposition, it's described as having claws, and possibly the Cleave feat since it killed two gods in one round.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: September 30, 2018, 03:24:10 pm »

What about a five-quiddity alliance between deities? Might that be capable of destroying the Snarl for good?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: September 30, 2018, 03:34:12 pm »

There aren't five unique quiddities though.
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 313