Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 558560 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #3330 on: September 22, 2018, 03:47:36 pm »

Divine stubbornness probably.
Looking back at the godsmoot, a lot of what the gods said... Makes sense in new context. One of them outright said “I’m bored with this world”.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: September 22, 2018, 04:14:29 pm »

Interesting how both the Snarl and the Dark One's glow are purple.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: September 22, 2018, 04:32:41 pm »

At least Hel's plan to tip the vote makes a lot more sense now. If this world actually stays intact, then her bum deal of getting only dishonored dwarven souls is permanent.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: September 22, 2018, 05:00:12 pm »

Interesting how both the Snarl and the Dark One's glow are purple.

I think the Snarl doesn't have a purple quiddity, but an amalgam of yellow, blue, red, and green quiddities, which average out to looking purple.
So it glows the same as the dark one, but if you were to look really closely you'd see that all the snarl's threads are those four quiddities, while the dark one's quiddity is 100% purple, a color not present in the snarl.

I guess it's possible that the dark one is purple because it's a mix of red and blue or something. That would make what Thor's saying not make much sense, though.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: September 22, 2018, 05:11:58 pm »

Shouldn't the Snarl average out to yellow-white? At the same time, the organized threads of reality were the same color as the Snarl (the rifts are also the same purplish color). Maybe there is some unknown reason why it's purple, or it's a case of  the-author-did-this-way-back-when-and-doesn't-want-to-retcon-it-now. Though given how even the rifts themselves are purple, Rich Burlew probably put some thought into why it'd be purple.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 05:42:29 pm by smjjames »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: September 22, 2018, 08:05:55 pm »

Haven't we seen that different spellcasters' magics have different colors? I wonder what that has to do with it?
~~~
I've come up with a crackpot theory regarding the Monster in the Dark. I think it's an adventurer. A very high level one, brainwashed to serve Xykon.

Alternatively it's an amnesiac god.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:05:49 pm by FallacyofUrist »
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: September 22, 2018, 08:21:53 pm »

Can't find the post right now, but spell colors are a personal preference, and thus probably have nothing to do with a god's quiddity.

Quote from: The Giant
Every spellcaster has their own color; it is not based on their alignment or type of magic or anything. It is mostly a matter of choice or personality, though most clerics tend to clump into the same general color if they worship the same gods because they tend to choose the same colors and/or have similar personalities.

Elan has a similar color to the Azurite priests because it's not as if everyone in the North sits around going, "Gosh, we can't pick blue, because those people on another continent all picked blue!" Tsukiko uses the same color for her divine magic as the Azurite priests because they both worship the Twelve Gods, who are worshipped as a pantheon by all alignments in Azure City.

And as far as the girl in #730, I promise that whether she is using mind energy or fire does not affect the story in the slightest, and therefore it doesn't matter whether or not you can tell what it is.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:24:19 pm by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3337 on: September 22, 2018, 11:50:07 pm »

Maybe this is the first time they created a race of sapient punching bags?  At least to this extent?  Maybe even not just goblinoids, but the entire dungeon-crawl setup where adventurers kill designated targets for experience.  An entire world seemingly engineered for endless, morally-justified combat, DND style.

This could be related to Thor and Hel's game.  A world where one race's afterlife depends on them dying valiantly in battle naturally demands more Evil creatures for them to die valiantly in battle against.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: September 24, 2018, 07:15:37 pm »

Was dying with honor actually defined in that? Or would declaring all Dwarven deaths to be automatically honorable save them from Hel?

Also, would not dying so an eldritch creature does not escape its prison count as an honorable death?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: September 24, 2018, 07:42:01 pm »

Early on there was a joke panel of Thor and Hel fighting over the soul of a paladin who had died of mummy rot contracted saving an orphanage, so there's wiggle room, but Hel seemed pretty certain that death by world implosion was not honorable and neither Loki nor Thor made any attempt to dispute this.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: September 24, 2018, 07:49:30 pm »

The nature of Dwarven Honor is not well touched on in the strip, but the Giant has made some commentaries - suggesting that a politician getting assassinated by his enemies due to a stance he was taking, or somebody dying on a march to bring food to a starving village, or other such acts would count as honorable deaths.

I think that the key is "Did you knowingly and deliberately risk death to do this thing?", so being sacrificed to stop the Snarl would not count - no dwarf ever chose to die that way.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: September 24, 2018, 08:32:00 pm »

Then just tell the dwarves. At least then they have a chance of honor, and considering the culture they most likely have, they probably would accept death with honorable dignity.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: September 24, 2018, 08:36:00 pm »

Kinda difficult when Thor and Loki are against dissolution and Hel is for it. Besides, the whole plan verged on mindslaving the Dwarven council of clans to tiebreak, so not exactly a lot of time to make this happen.

Unless Hel's got an ace the whole thing is over anyway - the council will vote no without a level 15 vampire to brainwash them, breaking the tie in favor of fighting the Snarl.

Oh, and as Thor mentioned a few pages ago, one of the most ironclad rules of the divine interdiction is not telling mortals about the Snarl unless they already know.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:38:26 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: September 24, 2018, 08:39:07 pm »

Then just tell the dwarves. At least then they have a chance of honor, and considering the culture they most likely have, they probably would accept death with honorable dignity.

That was Eugene's solution.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: September 24, 2018, 08:45:50 pm »

Kinda difficult when Thor and Loki are against dissolution and Hel is for it. Besides, the whole plan verged on mindslaving the Dwarven council of clans to tiebreak, so not exactly a lot of time to make this happen.

Unless Hel's got an ace the whole thing is over anyway - the council will vote no without a level 15 vampire to brainwash them, breaking the tie in favor of fighting the Snarl.

You're forgetting the two vampires (the ex-exarch and an unnamed NPC vampire) that he sent ahead to prepare and wait for further instructions. They'll certainly realize that the master is dead, but whether they'll carry out the plan is unknown. I'd guess the ex-exarch would go ahead and try because he has unwavering loyalty, but he still doesn't have the level 15 (or whatever level the party is) vampire to back him up.
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 313