Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 566536 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #3165 on: August 19, 2018, 01:56:46 am »

If you're Azazoth, your entire fan club is going to be dedicated to waking your sleepy ass up.

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: August 19, 2018, 02:02:18 am »

Personally I'd probably end up being a knock off Paladine- walk around following low level mortal heros as a deranged- forgetful- and overpowered wizard for shits and giggles.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: August 19, 2018, 02:05:59 am »

If you're Azazoth, your entire fan club is going to be dedicated to waking your sleepy ass up.

Yeah, but either I'm asleep, or I'm awake and my fan club suddenly no longer exists.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: August 19, 2018, 03:58:55 am »

Personally I'd probably end up being a knock off Paladine- walk around following low level mortal heros as a deranged- forgetful- and overpowered wizard for shits and giggles.
Ah Fizban the Fabulous.  I actually read the dragonlance trilogy first before I read Lord of the Rings and Hobbit as a kid, and I kept half expecting Gandalf to fireball a wall and blow himself off a cliff.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: August 19, 2018, 04:23:31 am »

Yeah, I read the Dragonlance Trilogy too, but I was amazed a few years ago to read on wikipedia that now there are over 200 novels set in the Dragonlance universe. Ain't nobody gonna read all of that.

Visions of Wonder, edited by David G. Hartwell and Milton T. Wolf, and published by the Science Fiction Research Association, argues that Dragonlance is published under the "omnivore theory" of publishing. In this theory, the readership is made up of teenagers, and completely replaces itself every three to five years. This allows publishers to release subpar novels and still reach a small yet profitable audience.

That's exactly what all those godawful Japanese light novels (the Sword Art Online type of things) do as well. They're actually much worse than mangas, because mangas need to compensate for their audience aging as the story continues, whereas light novels are something where you can jump in and just grab a book, so they can rehash the same stories over and over with a constant target demographic of 14 year olds, who don't realize they're being fed the same pap year after year.

Possibly, the absolute worst novel I ever read was an old TSR Forgotten Realms one. The TSR in-house writers were truly appalling authors. R. A. Salvatore was the exception, but he was really just a lucky find for TSR.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 04:33:36 am by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: August 19, 2018, 07:44:14 am »

I got immunized to that stuff by being exposed to the Barbarians of Gor at an early age, goddammit if it's gonna be cheesy crap fantasy it's gonna have slave girls in collars or I'm out!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: August 19, 2018, 09:45:14 am »

I think I'd like the Knowledge and Healing domains.  I'd be the minor deity of useful, invigorating trivia, a favorite of bards and jesters.

Possibly, the absolute worst novel I ever read was an old TSR Forgotten Realms one. The TSR in-house writers were truly appalling authors. R. A. Salvatore was the exception, but he was really just a lucky find for TSR.
Yeah I'm still reading bits of the early Drizz't books occasionally, and they seem pretty fine.  It's edgy and camp, exactly like it's supposed to be, but the characters do have personal motivations and emotions.  I was expecting the drow matriarchs to be one dimensional, instead there's some world-building intrigue.  My expectations were too low.

Now I kinda want to read the original Dragonlance Trilogy for Fizban the crazy wizard, heh.  But also, Raistlin's story sounds legitimately pretty cool from what I heard.

I got immunized to that stuff by being exposed to the Barbarians of Gor at an early age, goddammit if it's gonna be cheesy crap fantasy it's gonna have slave girls in collars or I'm out!
If my fantasy is going to have slave girls in collars, it's going to make them fully realized characters and explain in detail how they internalize their slavery and - Sorry, was just surprised to see Gorean Saga mentioned.  I only read a little because it's kinda... a lot
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: August 19, 2018, 10:21:46 am »

That reminds me of a fantasy novel I once read that had some ... very salubrious passages. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called or anything though.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: August 19, 2018, 02:53:55 pm »

I would like the Protection and Trickery domains. I would be a chaotic neutral god of annoyance.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: August 19, 2018, 04:22:20 pm »

If my fantasy is going to have slave girls in collars, it's going to make them fully realized characters and explain in detail how they internalize their slavery and - Sorry, was just surprised to see Gorean Saga mentioned.  I only read a little because it's kinda... a lot
Yeah, the only thing I really kept was an appreciation for chokers.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: August 19, 2018, 05:02:55 pm »

I couldn't even get past the covers of any of the Gor books.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: August 19, 2018, 06:30:39 pm »

Ah, so the judged the books by their covers?~
Probably not a bad choice, in this case.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: August 19, 2018, 10:38:59 pm »

Barbarians of Gor sounds familiar and looking it up I vaguely recall seeing that cover at some time in my dad's book collection but I never read it.  Growing up I loved dragons (they still have a soft spot in my heart) and I would read every book I could get my hands on involving them.  Dragonlance, Hobbit, the Temeraire and Age of Fire series, Eragon.  Couldn't get enough. 

I never did finish all the Age of Fire books.  I wonder how AuRon and Wistala are doing, Nameless can rot for all I care bout him.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: August 20, 2018, 01:31:47 am »

The Gor Novels is a science fantasy series, where some one from Earth ends up in  this strange land. They are at a point of technology or magic or whatever, that everyone is beaitful and young for ever. And there is a rigid class system of Freeman and slaves. Masters and Kajira. Its smut. Its smut with a lot of world building it.

My SO got into Gor, and was involved in a few Gor kink groups. In BDSM social groups, Goreans, folks who take Gor novels as a structure for life, are just bad folks to stay away from. Elitist, conserative, oddly a lot of TERFs like elements.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: August 20, 2018, 03:43:26 am »

Growing up I loved dragons (they still have a soft spot in my heart) and I would read every book I could get my hands on involving them.  Dragonlance, Hobbit, the Temeraire and Age of Fire series, Eragon.  Couldn't get enough. 

No Dragonriders of Pern series? Lots of dragony stuff in those.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 313