Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 560897 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #2295 on: August 17, 2017, 05:06:56 pm »

Nice reversal of Elan's "uplifting" speech at Azure City.
Interesting update regardless.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: August 22, 2017, 09:53:24 am »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: August 22, 2017, 10:03:48 am »

No surprise that any remaining clerics are on alert.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: August 22, 2017, 04:35:31 pm »

*puts on analysis hat*

Searing Light and Daylight are both 3rd-level spells, meaning those clerics are at least 5th-level. Probably not too bad for night-duty guards, but certainly by-and-far inadequate to repel a vampire. Especially one of Durkon's level. Or four >10th-level vampires. They also misunderstood Daylight's effects, since it apparently does not actually affect vampires(it doesn't count as actual daylight and vampires aren't weakened by bright light).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: August 25, 2017, 09:25:13 pm »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: August 25, 2017, 11:31:56 pm »

*puts on analysis hat*

Searing Light and Daylight are both 3rd-level spells, meaning those clerics are at least 5th-level. Probably not too bad for night-duty guards, but certainly by-and-far inadequate to repel a vampire. Especially one of Durkon's level. Or four >10th-level vampires. They also misunderstood Daylight's effects, since it apparently does not actually affect vampires(it doesn't count as actual daylight and vampires aren't weakened by bright light).
Seeing as they talked about "definitely having more" divine power, I'm going to guess that they're not actually full-fledged clerics—just regular priests who've acquired a few spells through diligent study, or because of the current situation, or whatever.

Or maybe they just used up all their spells earlier, I dunno.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: August 25, 2017, 11:41:48 pm »

It's a good point that daylight wouldn't actually work.  And at the same time, they might have been attempting to Intimidate.  I and GMs I know would give a bonus for casting Daylight with the intimidate, even though it doesn't have mechanical effect.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: August 25, 2017, 11:49:13 pm »

Not sure how daylight would help the intimidate, though I guess being backlit by a really bright light helps?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: August 25, 2017, 11:52:26 pm »

Because the light-as-like-day would invoke a primal fear in the vampire, perhaps.
Maybe I've played too much Vampire the Requiem recently...  There's certainly no *rule* about that, just saying.
She/they

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: August 25, 2017, 11:58:02 pm »

I'd rule that if the vampire in question wasn't familiar it would cause normal fear because...you know...it might work. But certainly not the primal fear of actual sunlight and fire. The spell is no different than a UV bulb, it's just that the vampire wouldn't know that.

Though that actually opens the hilarious possibility of them panicking and then realizing it's just normal panic instead of the supernatural panic of unlife.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: August 26, 2017, 12:00:11 am »

Could someone come up with a spell that shoots ACTUAL sunlight? Like, open a lens to space right next to a star kinda thing.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: August 26, 2017, 12:07:59 am »

Ah, but you see, sunlight does not gain the power to destroy vampires until it is refracted through the holy firmament above the skies of the world.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: August 26, 2017, 12:10:12 am »

Fine, optic portal to the sky just below the holy firmament, on whichever side of the planet is currently in daytime.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: August 26, 2017, 12:15:33 am »

Fine, optic portal to the sky just below the holy firmament, on whichever side of the planet is currently in daytime.

Or you could cast Wall of Iron a lot in space and get a golem to polish the plates until they shine. Given a set of Decanters of Endless Water to act as a reaction control system, you could have a functioning heliobeam for around 8 million gp.

Come to think of it, if vampires were the only thing such a system was intended to destroy, a set of smaller mirrors in geostationary orbit would allow for localized daylight anywhere on the planet.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 12:22:03 am by Trekkin »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: August 26, 2017, 04:09:26 am »

Could someone come up with a spell that shoots ACTUAL sunlight? Like, open a lens to space right next to a star kinda thing.

Sunbeam and Sunburst! Sadly only the domain of druids, sun clerics and (only for Sunburst) wizards, but it's definitely around.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 313