Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 560895 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #2280 on: August 14, 2017, 02:36:23 pm »

Wiggle room? The only wiggle room would be if Belkar somehow managed to stop breathing indefinitely.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: August 14, 2017, 02:37:07 pm »

Such as literally any form of construct or undead. Alternatively, time travel.

However, after this long and all of Rich's teasing, it would be more of a surprise if he just died.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: August 14, 2017, 03:14:44 pm »

In order to fulfill the prophecies without dying, Belkar would have to turn into something that cannot breathe, cannot use money, and cannot eat cake.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: August 14, 2017, 03:28:07 pm »

In order to fulfill the prophecies without dying, Belkar would have to turn into something that cannot breathe, cannot use money, and cannot eat cake.
What?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: August 14, 2017, 03:51:14 pm »

The prophecies about Belkar are that he had better savor his next birthday cake, shouldn't bother funding a retirement account, and that he will draw his last breath ever before the end of the in-comic year.

The obvious intention is that he's going to die forever within a year, so he'll have no more birthdays and no use for money.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: August 14, 2017, 04:04:41 pm »

Undead can neither taste food nor get old and retire, so it still works that way.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: August 14, 2017, 04:41:02 pm »

The only part that was actually prophecy was "Belkar will draw his last breath - ever - before the end of the year". The parts about him savoring his next cake and not funding his IRA were merely threats suggesting the prophecy is his permanent death(and does not rule out becoming undead).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: August 14, 2017, 04:41:14 pm »

The first two things weren't official prophecies, for what that's worth.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: August 14, 2017, 05:27:43 pm »

inb4 Lich!Belkar
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: August 14, 2017, 05:45:24 pm »

The only part that was actually prophecy was "Belkar will draw his last breath - ever - before the end of the year". The parts about him savoring his next cake and not funding his IRA were merely threats suggesting the prophecy is his permanent death(and does not rule out becoming undead).

Read those strips again. Or, for that matter, read one of the two or three hundred "how Belkar isn't going to die" threads over on GiTP. Most of his casual comments also proved prophetic. The only thing that was different about the "on the record" prophecy is that it would have survived the Memory Charm had that actually worked on Roy.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: August 14, 2017, 05:46:38 pm »

Where was that strip?
Sigtext

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: August 14, 2017, 06:02:08 pm »

There are two series, one starting at strip 329 and one at strip 572.

In 329 he references the birthday cake and the IRA

In 330 he makes one casual prophecy - that both Roy and Elan are headed to family reunions. This happened - Roy died and spent time with his dead family in the afterlife, and Elan met his father.

In 572 the Oracle makes two comments that can be prophetic plus the official prophecy

The first is that Belkar isn't long for this world.

The other is that he has an important client flying in.

The second one is the Ancient Black Dragon, who learned who killed her son and where that person would be from the Oracle. While this could be a sending, we don't see any Sending happen. Probably an accurate prophecy.

He also gives great detail about his next death and scheduled resurrection in 571, where he proves that his earlier answer to Belkar was not a cop-out - he knew perfectly well that Belkar was going to stab him, and how messy it would be.

With the exception of Belkar-related stuff that hasn't happened yet - every single line from the Oracle that could possibly be prophetic has come true, even when not on the record.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: August 14, 2017, 06:05:12 pm »

But casual comments give the oracle opportunity to lie, and imo it's not too far fetched to lie about the upcoming death of someone you hate.
It's a perfect opportunity to cause Belkar emotional distress if Roy tells him, and might make Roy send him on suicide missions because Roy knows he's going to die soon anyway.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: August 15, 2017, 01:44:39 am »

Not to mention the Oracle lied about his death before Belkar shanked him.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: August 17, 2017, 04:48:55 pm »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 313