Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 560023 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #2205 on: July 10, 2017, 07:04:10 pm »

Aren't they about to go to a major temple to Thor, a god whose dwarven clerics will likely have ready access to Remove Disease because something like that would send dwarven souls to Hel rather than Thor?

This would also be very good opportunity for Durkon to rub some previously-said exact words back in the face of the vampire spirit.

Of course, this could mean that the crew of the Mechane is doomed.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: July 11, 2017, 12:36:26 am »

The thing is, from what vampire-Durkon was saying earlier, clerics are sometimes using spells from different gods. He was able to use weather controlling and said, that there is a contract between gods. If Thor refused to help the cleric of Hel, Hel might refuse to cure diseases for other clerics. She could refuse anyway, for the party.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: July 11, 2017, 12:52:06 am »

The thing is, from what vampire-Durkon was saying earlier, clerics are sometimes using spells from different gods. He was able to use weather controlling and said, that there is a contract between gods. If Thor refused to help the cleric of Hel, Hel might refuse to cure diseases for other clerics. She could refuse anyway, for the party.
If she did that, it would break the agreement, since she is not letting clerics of other gods cure diseases
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: July 11, 2017, 01:01:05 am »

Yes, but maybe she'd bank on no longer needing those powers to complete her plan.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: July 11, 2017, 03:23:53 am »

That is what I mean. If that destroys the world, giving all norse god worshippers non-honorable deaths, she will not need the agreement anymore.
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick: 1078 But If You Try Sometimes
« Reply #2210 on: July 11, 2017, 11:30:24 am »

It's faster than it was for the last six months... but it's still awfully slow isn't it?

Slow compared to some other comics, yeah, and Rich doesn't have a regular schedule, and asking 'when is the next comic?' isn't allowed on the forum there.
Usually a breeding ground for senseless arguments and shitposting.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: July 11, 2017, 11:36:12 am »

It's faster than it was for the last six months... but it's still awfully slow isn't it?

Slow compared to some other comics, yeah, and Rich doesn't have a regular schedule, and asking 'when is the next comic?' isn't allowed on the forum there.
Usually a breeding ground for senseless arguments and shitposting.

I can get 'when is the next comic?' being disencouraged, but in general, that forums rules seem pretty restrictive.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: July 11, 2017, 04:14:57 pm »

They are very restrictive, and -to make matters worse- they are very shoddily enforced as well. There are plenty of good members of the community, so it is worth visiting, but it would be much better with different rules.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: July 13, 2017, 12:38:03 pm »

Update, which addresses the agreement (well predicted y'all).

Aren't they about to go to a major temple to Thor, a god whose dwarven clerics will likely have ready access to Remove Disease because something like that would send dwarven souls to Hel rather than Thor?

This would also be very good opportunity for Durkon to rub some previously-said exact words back in the face of the vampire spirit.

Of course, this could mean that the crew of the Mechane is doomed.
I don't remember if we know exactly what "Odin and the rest" will do to the offender, but seems like it's serious enough to be a win for Hel.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: July 13, 2017, 05:16:16 pm »

That's a lot of updates in a short amount of time. Then again, the backdrop for Hel's domain(probably also called Hel) is literally four colors and simple shapes, so that's probably a good time-saver.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: July 14, 2017, 12:22:38 am »

If we go by norse mythology, the domain would be called Helheim.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: July 14, 2017, 01:51:30 am »

Nah, Hel is good.
Love, scriver~

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: July 14, 2017, 11:54:13 am »

Yes, but maybe she'd bank on no longer needing those powers to complete her plan.

I thought Hel was explicitly playing strictly by the book to shame the other gods into honouring the agreement. If she starts breaking the rules, there's no reason for them to honour the agreement either and she might lose all those souls.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: July 14, 2017, 12:31:03 pm »

I thought Hel was explicitly playing strictly by the book to shame the other gods into honouring the agreement. If she starts breaking the rules, there's no reason for them to honour the agreement either and she might lose all those souls.
Indeed.  For example, the compact is what allows clerics to cast their full range of spells.  Without it, domain restrictions become much more...ah, restrictive.  Given that the entire plan hinges on Durkula being able to dominate the voting elders, if Domination happens to fall under another god's portfolio (f'rex, the manipulative Loki), losing it would be major potential crimp in their game plan.  Moreover, if the rules of the game get thrown out, she may have to worry about the original vote itself being disqualified.  Several of the gods who happened to vote alongside her only did so as a protest vote, as Hermod indicated, or not knowing the full consequences of the act; the "no backsies" rule could easily be next on the chopping block if the compact falls apart, and if that happens, she loses her own voting base.  The plan only works because the rules benefit her right now.  If she breaks the rules, they get to do the same gratis.  If they break the rules first, they get to fall apart in recrimination between the Lawful and Chaotic wings, which keeps them busy while she gets on with the plan.

It helps that the older links above inspired me to reread the whole arc quickly; I had forgotten quite a bit of this in the interim.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that specific spell example. I just checked since it was bothering me, and Dominate Person is not a Cleric spell.  It's a supernatural ability innate to all vampires and is thus unaffected by the compact.  Ah, well, the voting point still stands. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:33:21 pm by Culise »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: July 14, 2017, 08:06:30 pm »

(f'rex, the manipulative Loki)

Loki's domains are Fire and Trickery. Fire domain is explicitly stated in the same strip we both linked, and as for Trickery, it's Loki.

Nah, Hel is good.
Pretty sure Hel is evil. :P

Whether she's Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic... I'm guessing Neutral. She's willing to play by the rules as long as the rules are necessary.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 313