Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 561173 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick: 948 Behind the Eyes
« Reply #765 on: April 13, 2014, 12:40:03 pm »

I really have no problem imagining that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 13, 2014, 12:53:43 pm »

Me neither. As far as I remember, he's cursed on Thor a lot of times, even if it was other attributes than balls.
Love, scriver~

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 13, 2014, 12:57:20 pm »

Of course, inside the Mountain is a totally different story. Dwarven Culture is obviously very homogenized (it's so homogenized it transcends individual stories), so when he gets there he may rapidly have a problem. Of course, he may not plan to go into Dwarven civilization proper at all.
Spoiler: WMG (click to show/hide)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 13, 2014, 05:03:57 pm »

Of course, inside the Mountain is a totally different story. Dwarven Culture is obviously very homogenized (it's so homogenized it transcends individual stories), so when he gets there he may rapidly have a problem. Of course, he may not plan to go into Dwarven civilization proper at all.
Spoiler: WMG (click to show/hide)

Yeah.  And then he'll be locked up in a room, and forced to become a Book keeper
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 13, 2014, 05:51:24 pm »

References aside, I think the prophecy was a bit more apocalyptic in it's meaning. Very possibly having to do with the Snarl.
Love, scriver~

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 13, 2014, 10:32:38 pm »

I'm wondering exactly how this is going to interact with the prophecy of him going home in a coffin.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 13, 2014, 10:36:22 pm »

I'm wondering exactly how this is going to interact with the prophecy of him going home in a coffin.
He'll have them smuggle him in it since he expects they'll attack on site if they see him as a vampire.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 13, 2014, 10:39:46 pm »

The prophecy specified no such thing, only that he'd return posthumously.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 10:41:18 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 13, 2014, 10:49:51 pm »

Technically, "posthumous" means "after burial" not "after death." This is the kind of pedantry that the GitP forum gets by obsessively picking apart every little word in the comic, although nothing Durkon-related is in the same league as the Belkar Loopholist movement.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 13, 2014, 11:36:25 pm »

Belkar loopholist movement...?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 14, 2014, 12:22:12 am »

I suppose that's a pet name of mine. I'm referring to the folks that will twist the English language to any lengths in order to find an interpretation where Belkar doesn't die.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:04:12 pm by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 14, 2014, 01:35:50 am »

Arguably, then, he can hardly fail to enter the underground land of the dwarves posthumously.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 14, 2014, 10:07:05 am »

Huh. Weird. I thought it had very specific wording, but I guess not.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 14, 2014, 02:18:33 pm »

Technically, "posthumous" means "after burial" not "after death." This is the kind of pedantry that the GitP forum gets by obsessively picking apart every little word in the comic, although nothing Durkon-related is in the same league as the Belkar Loopholist movement.
Current dictionary definitions:
Quote from: Merriam-Webster
3:following or occurring after death <posthumous fame>
Quote from: World English Dictionary
1.happening or continuing after one's death
Quote from: dictionary.com
1.arising, occurring, or continuing after one's death: a posthumous award for bravery.
The original latin roots might have translated to mean "after burial" (postumus: last born/born after the death of the father + humus: ground/earth, referring to burial), but the modern definition is "after death".

And for Belkar's death I'd like to point out that we already have one character walking around despite having died, and another that has died and been revived. I don't see the death of Belkar being that big of a problem personally.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 14, 2014, 02:48:01 pm »

The 'humus' part is actually folk etymology on part of people back in whenever the spelling was standardized. It used to be 'after death', then someone though 'Well, dead people get buried. In the ground. Or 'humus'. So it obviously means 'after being put in ground'!'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 313