Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 561169 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick: 948 Behind the Eyes
« Reply #750 on: April 08, 2014, 09:23:08 am »

I like Durkon's better, but maybe it's just easier to make black look good.

In related news, I'm still sort of hoping this is a Durkon-specific abnormality, and not some really important constant that nobody knows about.

I don't think so, it looks like the implication is in OoTSverse vampires have this reverse-Alex Mercer thing, and since they can absorb the victim's memories completely nobody who had the opportunity managed to see through that.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 08, 2014, 12:52:58 pm »

Can't wait to see the updated art of V, Haley and Elan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #752 on: April 09, 2014, 07:02:36 am »

This is why you never appoint a vampire as your hammerer. Who will hammer the hammerers?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 09, 2014, 07:25:03 am »

This is why you never appoint a vampire as your hammerer. Who will hammer the hammerers?
That guy who just started a tantrum spiral?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 12, 2014, 11:05:59 am »

...When has Durkon ever said "Thor's nuts"?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 12, 2014, 11:15:37 am »

...When has Durkon ever said "Thor's nuts"?
Durkon hasn't, but another dwarf in the flashback did, thereby indicating that it's a reasonable exclamation for a dwarf to make.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 12, 2014, 11:59:48 am »

I thought it was the punchline: Thor is nuts/Thor's (possessive) nuts! A statement and a curse.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 12, 2014, 12:45:02 pm »

Probably, yeah. But Durkula's objective was to plumb Durkon's memories for a viable exclamation of shock and alarm, and I'm pretty sure he succeeded.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 13, 2014, 09:51:50 am »

But then Durkon never said that. So it could tip off the party members.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 13, 2014, 10:39:27 am »

But then Durkon never said that. So it could tip off the party members.
Especially because Durkon's a cleric of Thor, so ...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 13, 2014, 10:43:58 am »

Durkula's already said lines that Durkon's never said before. People often say new sentences as time goes one - what's important is to make sure that it's in-character. I don't understand why Durkon himself never saying it is relevant. It's not really clearly blasphemous, either - it's the sort of roughness that might just be Dwarven. You have to keep in mind, the best part about being a Dwarven adventurer is that nobody outside the mountains knows a damn thing about Dwarves. You pretty much have free reign to make up whatever you want about Dwarven culture. Who's going to argue with you? You're the Dwarf.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 13, 2014, 10:57:44 am »

Durkula's already said lines that Durkon's never said before. People often say new sentences as time goes one - what's important is to make sure that it's in-character. I don't understand why Durkon himself never saying it is relevant. It's not really clearly blasphemous, either - it's the sort of roughness that might just be Dwarven. You have to keep in mind, the best part about being a Dwarven adventurer is that nobody outside the mountains knows a damn thing about Dwarves. You pretty much have free reign to make up whatever you want about Dwarven culture. Who's going to argue with you? You're the Dwarf.
Of course, inside the Mountain is a totally different story. Dwarven Culture is obviously very homogenized (it's so homogenized it transcends individual stories), so when he gets there he may rapidly have a problem. Of course, he may not plan to go into Dwarven civilization proper at all.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 13, 2014, 11:30:30 am »

Even if it was blasphemous, do you really think Thor is the type to care about blasphemy? He's too drunk to even listen to prayers most of the time.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 13, 2014, 11:47:30 am »

But can you imagine Durkon saying that? It's totally OOC for him.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 13, 2014, 12:31:39 pm »

But can you imagine Durkon saying that? It's totally OOC for him.

I totally could.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 313