Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 561060 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick: 951 Helping Hand
« Reply #840 on: May 06, 2014, 05:36:31 pm »

I think it's just one of those things you have to just not look too closely at.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 06, 2014, 07:43:51 pm »

To be fair, OoTS has, in the past, not had those. It seems like you hardly ever see a throwaway character who doesn't sneak back to be a major plot point.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 06, 2014, 11:17:31 pm »

It was a hollywood breakaway wall obviously.

Though for some reason I have a vague memory of some kind of giants strength belt variant that actually set your strength to a certain level instead of just increasing it.  I remember it being in a video game and looting it and thinking yay! belt of giant's strength, giving it to my fighter and being disappointed when it actually lowered his strength to 19 from his 20 base.

Maybe it's that kind?  Though I can't imagine why Roy would be using it in that case since his natural strength would clearly be higher than 19, cept in maybe 2.0 rules.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:21:40 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 06, 2014, 11:20:45 pm »

I should get back into this.
Surprisingly, it looks like I'm only ten comics behind. :o
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 06, 2014, 11:25:29 pm »

There was an end of a book recently I understand he takes a month or two break every book transition.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 06, 2014, 11:47:55 pm »

Eh, bull rush check with creative license from the DM. Wolf rolled a 1 to resist, Mr. Scruffy a 20. The spread on that dwarfs the actual range of likely bonuses - remember, an average kitten just needs to roll 11 higher than an average commoner to shove him out a window.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 07, 2014, 05:19:33 am »

Though for some reason I have a vague memory of some kind of giants strength belt variant that actually set your strength to a certain level instead of just increasing it.  I remember it being in a video game and looting it and thinking yay! belt of giant's strength, giving it to my fighter and being disappointed when it actually lowered his strength to 19 from his 20 base.

Maybe it's that kind?  Though I can't imagine why Roy would be using it in that case since his natural strength would clearly be higher than 19, cept in maybe 2.0 rules.
I think there's something like that in Baldur's Gate.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 07, 2014, 07:22:26 am »

There are Bracers of Dexterity that set it to 18 in Baldur's Gate.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 07, 2014, 09:14:33 am »

5E works that way, too, or did last time I looked. I believe it may also have worked that way in past editions, although it's inane either way.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 07, 2014, 12:01:59 pm »

There are Bracers of Dexterity that set it to 18 in Baldur's Gate.
In the original, there are bracers that set the dexterity to 18 and gauntlets that set the strength the 18.

In the sequel, there are also a range of belts that set the strength to different values from 19 to 24.

Given that attribute values in BG only went up to 25, simply adding to an attribute would cause massive overflow problems.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 07, 2014, 01:58:17 pm »

Okay, on the BoGS:
Standard BoGSs cannot provide a bonus greater that +6. Mr. Scruffy, an alleged cat, was able to knock a large wolf through a brick wall while under the affects of the belt. Cats have a strength of 3. His strength would then have been boosted to 9. I doubt, then, that this is a standard BoGS.
I'm fairly certain that Mr. Scruffy is a ranger companion, actually. If it's 3.5 rules, he probably has 4 hit dice and a +2 strength bonus. That's still a little hard to believe even if the cat took Improved Natural Weapon and has 12 strength though.
Weren't the arena's walls pretty crappy? At least, according to Roy's cross-class ranks in Knowledge(Architecture)?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 07, 2014, 02:11:27 pm »

Okay, on the BoGS:
Standard BoGSs cannot provide a bonus greater that +6. Mr. Scruffy, an alleged cat, was able to knock a large wolf through a brick wall while under the affects of the belt. Cats have a strength of 3. His strength would then have been boosted to 9. I doubt, then, that this is a standard BoGS.
I'm fairly certain that Mr. Scruffy is a ranger companion, actually. If it's 3.5 rules, he probably has 4 hit dice and a +2 strength bonus. That's still a little hard to believe even if the cat took Improved Natural Weapon and has 12 strength though.
Weren't the arena's walls pretty crappy? At least, according to Roy's cross-class ranks in Knowledge(Architecture)?
No, I think he just used those to identify the loadbearing pillars and bait Thog into smashing them. 

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 19, 2014, 12:24:44 pm »

Meh, he'll just have to claim that he cannot commune with Thor anymore or something. Which is of course true.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 19, 2014, 12:40:08 pm »

Something like that, yeah
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 313