Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 312

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 493428 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #4605 on: October 10, 2023, 09:20:45 am »

Undeath is a state of being despite being a lack of death, so I think so.  A gap can be a thing, especially a prominent gap.

I dunno if skeletons have knees though.  It feels natural to say they have arms, but there are actual bones there.  Would we say a skull has eyes?  A skull without otherworldly lights in the sockets, I mean...

A skeleton might be said to have a nose, because there's a strongly defined gap in the right place.  But does it have a butt?  I'm leaning towards no butt or knees.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: October 10, 2023, 10:57:54 am »

It doesn't have a butt. it has pelvis though.

The thing about knees is that they are joints. While a skeleton doesn't have the muscles and tendons that power it, it has dark magic instead of those.
And the important thing about joints is that they allow the body to bend. If you used necromantic magic to fuse a skeleton's leg bones (femur, patella, tibia and fibula) together, it would have quite a bit of trouble walking
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: October 10, 2023, 03:18:15 pm »

Yeah, I suppose we must surmise that there is an invisible magical *thing* located at the animate skeleton / lich's joints which acts as incorporeal connective tissue and motor. If there were no *thing* there, then the skeleton would not function. And since the *thing* is located around where a human's knee would be and fulfils the same purpose, why not call it a knee?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: October 10, 2023, 04:21:04 pm »

But are such things as skeletons and liches animated by multiple individual points of operational magic, or by a singular larger field infusing and suspending all associated bits? If the former then certainly; a given locus of connective necromancy may very well be considered a "knee". If the latter, then that space between bones is maintained by simply a certain area of the diffuse whole. Does an inanimate skeleton suspended in a gelatinous cube have a knee?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: October 10, 2023, 07:30:54 pm »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: October 11, 2023, 03:34:21 am »

It's sort of a... well, it's kind of like... You know what, don't worry about it.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: October 11, 2023, 08:05:38 am »

I guess our argument comes from different definitions of knee.

The definition I am using is "The joint between the upper leg and the lower leg."
Which means that I count any fully assembled skeleton of a legged creature as having knees. In fact, if you just had the 4 bones that connect there and put them together, you'd assemble the knee.
It doesn't matter to me what powers the knees, or even if the knees happen to be powered.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: October 11, 2023, 09:40:13 am »

It seems obvious to me that, if you have a kneecap, you have a knee. Since kneecaps are made of bone, skeletons have knees.

You can have a knee without having a kneecap - lizards don't have them, it turns out - but surely it's sufficient.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: October 11, 2023, 09:53:57 am »

Okay, but a knee cap is only a cap on the amount of knees you might have. It's not a forgone conclusion that because you have a cap on knees, you have a knee -- you might still have zero knees
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: October 11, 2023, 10:59:41 am »

This feels like it ought to be on a kneed to know basis.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: November 03, 2023, 05:55:59 pm »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: November 03, 2023, 08:04:22 pm »

Getting people to work together to solve a pending existential crisis. I wish we had that.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: November 22, 2023, 08:19:52 pm »

1291 🍦

Wait...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 08:22:02 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: November 22, 2023, 08:51:15 pm »

Wait...

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: November 22, 2023, 08:59:03 pm »

She/they
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 312