Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 312

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 493811 times)

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #4560 on: April 29, 2023, 03:51:25 am »

The middle panel seems an obvious reference to the Final Supper/Passover painting.

I disagree.  Firstly, L’Ultima Cena by Leonardo da Vinci features thirteen characters, as opposed to the ten in OotS.

Secondly, the Last Supper scene is when Jesus reveals he has been betrayed and will be executed soon.  No such revelation has happened in the OotS scene.

Thirdly, the facings do not line up with the characters you have assigned.  The five apostles to the left are all facing right, John and Jesus are looking at nobody, the three apostles right of them are facing left, and the rightmost three are talking in a group of their own.  That's a big group and a small group.  In OotS, it is two equally-sized groups, though arguably Minra and Haley are not in any group at all.

If it is meant as a play on the Last Supper, then only in passing without much to read into.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: April 29, 2023, 05:12:16 pm »

I feel like something smells pretty fishy around the whole "Oh I haven't checked the vault itself in a while" line... Potentially also the bit about Serini's memory.

Now whether or not that fishiness is a red herring is another matter

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: April 29, 2023, 06:27:08 pm »

Well, the other Gates were actively maintained. Two of which were kept up more-or-less pretty well even after the deaths of their original Scribbler guardians. Serini managed the upkeep of the gauntlet leading to her Gate, but it sounds like she's just sat on her old, tattooed ass in regards to the Gate itself. In fact, it doesn't look like she any plans whatsoever for her eventual death by old age if nothing else. Girard and Soon, ironically, did plan for that one, while Lirian was probably still pretty young by elven lifespan. No idea what Dorukan had planned, but his wards were pretty durable despite his death, enough that even Xykon was afraid of tripping them.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: April 30, 2023, 03:17:16 am »

From what she says, she was really hoping to get the Scribblers back together. There's a strong hit in this strip that she would really have liked to have at least one of the others improve and fortify her protections, and she said earlier that her plan for dealing with anything that could crack through the outer dungeons was to call in the cavalry in the form of her old party.

The other thing is, her Gate is essentially invulnerable to accidental discovery - nobody is going to just accidentally clear all the dungeons out if they don't have a reason to know the final one is even there. Particularly given that the monsters are strong enough to provide a meaningful challenge to an epic level lich. Xykon is at least level 22, which means he's effectively level 26 for XP purposes. And is gaining experience in these dungeons. This suggests that most parties that tried to clear it (as opposed to the hobgoblin tribe that sees the monsters themselves as the core resource and just hunts enough to get what they need) would be swiftly destroyed.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: May 04, 2023, 08:19:11 am »

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: May 04, 2023, 09:07:04 am »

Bel-kar
or
Bel-care?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: May 15, 2023, 11:53:44 am »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: June 05, 2023, 05:15:55 am »

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: June 05, 2023, 05:58:38 am »

Ah yes, the endemic rise of Pay-to-Marsh gaming.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: June 27, 2023, 08:50:54 am »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: June 27, 2023, 10:20:15 am »

So... Did the eye change color as part of maturation, or what?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: June 27, 2023, 10:25:14 am »

Green is their eye color, but they are wearing a pink contact lens to cancel out their Antimagic Cone.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: July 25, 2023, 10:17:13 am »

My mods and forum games.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: July 25, 2023, 11:54:54 am »

Wedding reception planning is, in fact, a cleric class skill
Love, scriver~

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: August 15, 2023, 10:46:15 pm »

My mods and forum games.
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 312