Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 575563 times)

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #4335 on: November 17, 2021, 04:49:41 am »

"See you soon, sunshine." implies Serini either has a reprisal planned to finish the Order off, or expects the pursuers to follow into the structure (as they seem to be doing).

In other words, we'll need more popcorn for the next page.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: November 17, 2021, 05:09:22 am »

"See you soon, sunshine" almost feels like she's taunting Ms. Starshine.

But I don't think she's leading the Order on purpose.  https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1243.html
It could be a bluff, but I think she really is annoyed and trying to shrug them off.

Either way, I'm concerned.  What IS Serini planning?  Does she have something in store for Xykon?
...Is Elan about to stumble over a crucial component of it?

Edit:  What's bothering me more is that Serini doesn't seem quite... right.  Maybe I'm reading too much into the first panel of this update, but I wonder if she's altogether herself these days.  A former hero in long isolation, with some unusual surgery, and whose best friends tend to cling to floors and ceilings...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 05:13:23 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: November 17, 2021, 05:17:25 am »

The color of the brick matches Serini's room. Maybe she went back to grab something more diabolical. Either way, I suspect the Order will reunite with O-chul and Lien soon.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: November 17, 2021, 05:39:17 pm »

Edit:  What's bothering me more is that Serini doesn't seem quite... right.  Maybe I'm reading too much into the first panel of this update, but I wonder if she's altogether herself these days.  A former hero in long isolation, with some unusual surgery, and whose best friends tend to cling to floors and ceilings...
She's also explicitly stated multiple times she is perfectly fine with however much death and destruction will result from Xykon ruling the world as long as him winning means the paladins and the Order don't have another chance to blow up the last gate. Not quite the most sound logic on display here.
Black lives matter.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: November 17, 2021, 09:09:11 pm »

She's also explicitly stated multiple times she is perfectly fine with however much death and destruction will result from Xykon ruling the world as long as him winning means the paladins and the Order don't have another chance to blow up the last gate. Not quite the most sound logic on display here.
That honestly makes a certain amount of cold sense, looking at the percentages and what she does (and doesn't) know.  As far as she's concerned, Xykon is just another garden-variety non-omnicidal evil overlord.  No matter how much destruction he does, as long as he doesn't literally annihilate all of creation, he's still better than the Snarl, which she believes will do precisely that.  As long as there is life, there is hope: Xykon has no objection to life because he needs something to rule over, but the Snarl is pure, elemental destruction as far as she knows. 

Of course, the problems here are manifold:
1. She doesn't know that the gates fail regularly, and that the gods have taken measures to both survive and rebuild the world.  Tough luck for any mortals living on the world, but the gods, elementals, and extra-planar entities tend to make it out alive, and if the gods blow up the world early and rebuild, they can even save the mortals' souls. 

2. She's got Xykon pegged, but she doesn't know about the ambitions of Redcloak and the Dark One.  If you want something that will panic the gods, the belated realization that someone just cast a spell that put a god-destroying, reality-destroying creature under the control of someone who both mistrusts and is mistrusted by the gods would rank highly.  Xykon and Redcloak getting anywhere near the gate would not only all but guarantee the destruction of the world once they fire off their spell, but also lead to the possibility of a god-killer actually getting loose and killing one or more of said pantheons in the collateral fire, or worse, all of them, if someone among the gods decides to either call the Dark One's bluff or go for a preemptive strike out of fear that the Dark One will release the Snarl anyways just to thin out the competition.  Or, for that matter, that the Dark One might actually release the Snarl anyways in the hopes he can control it; we have very little feel for the Dark One's personality or what he might or might not actually do if handed the reins to a god-destroying creature, just his stated intentions.

3. Even with what she does know, she hasn't thought through the consequences of evil overlords who have a single massive power source that comes with a handy self-destruct.  This may be because her party didn't have a bard, but anyone familiar with narrative causality knows that nothing gets heroes crawling out of the woodwork like evil overlords blatantly throwing their weight around, and said massive power source is inevitably going to be destroyed by a hero just in time to unleash the Snarl for the season cliffhanger. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:14:34 pm by Culise »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: November 26, 2021, 04:00:36 pm »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: November 26, 2021, 06:43:16 pm »

I really like this one!  Five stars, as that great guy would say.

Also huh - I suddenly wondered why Serini's glasses have different colored lenses, but it's her eye.  That's pretty cool, probably old information.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 06:45:20 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #4342 on: November 27, 2021, 03:03:25 am »

Serini seems impressed that Xykon managed to kill Dorukan and Lirian.  Is she aware of who killed Girard Draketooth?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: November 27, 2021, 03:51:37 am »

And thwarted Xykon!  Yes!  With a character witness who will not lie!
She/they

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: November 27, 2021, 04:04:42 am »

I'm gonna say that I think Rolan has the right idea on the topic of Serini; she seems a bit disturbed/unhinged. A healthy serving of survivor's guilt along with some assorted spices and sides, mayhaps?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: November 27, 2021, 05:18:55 am »

As mentioned at least once on the GitP, Serini, Dorukan, and Lirian(and Soon's ghost) all fought Xykon one-on-one. The Order is fighting as a cohesive unit, each member covering for the others' weaknesses.

Also, the Scribblers' fights against Xykon weren't all that one-sided. Serini was ambushed, which is why that one was.

And Soon's ghost almost won against both Xykon and Redcloak, but then Soon's entire build is pretty much a hard counter for that.

Is she aware of who killed Girard Draketooth?

Old age? Pretty sure she's starting to feel that one herself. Then again, as a halfling, she probably hasn't even hit Venerable yet.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: November 27, 2021, 07:49:41 am »

The color of the brick matches Serini's room. Maybe she went back to grab something more diabolical. Either way, I suspect the Order will reunite with O-chul and Lien soon.

Suspicions confirmed!
Love, scriver~

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #4347 on: December 13, 2021, 10:26:11 am »

Kraagor's gate is a pokémon gym.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: December 13, 2021, 11:05:11 am »

That shark's not gonna remember any of this

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: December 13, 2021, 11:06:41 am »

Okay, so inserting a shark into this situation certainly makes it more awesome, but does it actually change anything for the better?

Also, I can just picture the GM assuming that the epic rogue ambush would work on the players and planning for them to get captured, only to lose the fight and start grasping at straws to get back on the rails. Then the players point out that the ultimatum doesn't make any sense from their perspective...

That shark's not gonna remember any of this
The shark is a paladin's celestial mount, so I think that any memory loss would only last as long as the summoning? Assuming that projection is vulnerable to such things in the first place.
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 313