Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 558768 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #3600 on: March 04, 2019, 09:36:36 pm »

Yeah, there's definitely some house-ruling going on with the vampires, and I'm not talking about the negative soul thing. One original rule being thrown out is the one where vampires cannot enter a place they don't have permission to enter. Otherwise, Gontor would not have been able to raid the Mechane for the teleport orb.
Unless you go heavy with the rules-lawyering and say that since the Mechane is a pirate ship, it's not bound by any laws regarding breaking & entering, and therefore anyone can enter.

That sounds like a really dumb rule, I wonder what the rationale was behind putting that rule in there. If vampires were some sort of construct that you give orders to that they are bound by, sure, but they're supposed to be free-willed undead.

I see a logic loophole where person x didn't say 'not' to come in, therefore, they gave permission via omission.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: March 04, 2019, 09:45:42 pm »

It's an original part of vampire lore.  It didn't apply to Bram Stoker's Dracula, IIRC, but it was in many of the much older folktales which inspired that story.

Really plays up the human instinct toward paranoia.  Suddenly you don't want to invite your neighbors over, just in case they're one of *them*, you know?

Rule-wise, vampires are a frankly OP template as I think this comic has demonstrated.  Strong weaknesses are natural.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: March 05, 2019, 12:20:41 am »

It's not that much different from being repelled by garlic and hurt by running water. Vampires represent disease and things that fight disease are effective against them. Keeping a clear boundary between your home and outside, and not inviting in strangers can be one of those things.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: March 05, 2019, 04:40:37 am »

I've seen one movie or show or something completely subvert the garlic thing with a vampire straight up eating garlic and loving it, so, it'd be funny to have them subvert it one way or another. AFAIK, the garlic thing isn't a DnD rule written in stone and is just a trope.

Discworld, Carpe Jugulum
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: March 05, 2019, 10:30:13 am »

I've seen one movie or show or something completely subvert the garlic thing with a vampire straight up eating garlic and loving it, so, it'd be funny to have them subvert it one way or another. AFAIK, the garlic thing isn't a DnD rule written in stone and is just a trope.

Discworld, Carpe Jugulum

Spoiler: The Lost Boys (click to show/hide)

Also, in Dracula: The Series, inviting a vampire into your house apparently merely disables the super duper cross that shoots lasers and disintegrates vampires. But in that show, even daylight doesn't kill them, it merely depowers them so they pass as human during the day.

In Buffy, Angel tries to get into a house uninvited to save the owner, and bumps into an invisible literal forcefield, complete with mime action.

Re: D&D stuff:
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/3e_SRD:Vampire#Vampire_Weaknesses
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 10:37:40 am by Sergius »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: March 06, 2019, 06:55:43 pm »

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: March 06, 2019, 07:05:48 pm »

That came up quicker than usual for Rich Burlew.

Unless that thing has some sort of long range spit attack (which, if acid, I can see the team exploiting), theres no air cover.

edit: Those on the GitP forum identified it as a nightcrawler, which doesn't have a ranged attack, but it can summon stuff which can also fly, so, theres the air cover.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 07:20:40 pm by smjjames »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: March 06, 2019, 07:23:47 pm »

edit: Those on the GitP forum identified it as a nightcrawler, which doesn't have a ranged attack, but it can summon stuff which can also fly, so, theres the air cover.

At-will Unholy Blight, 3/day Cone Of Cold, 1/day Finger Of Death and Mass Hold Monster are fairly potent ranged attacks.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: March 06, 2019, 07:32:27 pm »

Good point, missed that. That thing looks like, and people on the GitP forum are saying, it could wreck the Order if they aren't careful.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: March 06, 2019, 07:44:30 pm »

Yep. V would have trouble with the SR, Haley isn't a big damage dealer without Sneak Attack, and the rest of the Order are primarily melee fighters, where the beast is strongest. As one of the GITP regulars put it:

Quote from: ZerglingOne
Ouch, a nightcrawler. Those things are nasty. One of those CR 18 but not actually CR 18 monsters.

Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: March 18, 2019, 01:50:15 pm »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: March 18, 2019, 01:57:17 pm »

Intelligent monsters are a pain for everyone involved. ;)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: March 18, 2019, 02:40:45 pm »

Blindsight strikes again.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: March 18, 2019, 03:10:58 pm »

Nightcrawlers don't have Blindsense. It is more likely to be the at-will see invisibility SLA.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: March 18, 2019, 10:37:16 pm »

The d20srd link I posted further back doesn't have that. It mentions spell like abilities (which I think is what you mean by SLA), but doesn't say what abilities. nvm, it's further down.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:41:41 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 313