Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 558524 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #3315 on: September 21, 2018, 07:53:03 pm »

Isn't this exactly what the Dark One wants? Being treated as an equal by the other pantheons?

I remember Redcloak once mentioned of an Elven Pantheon that ascended to godhood like the Dark One but can't find any real info about them. My guess is that they're just the same color as some other pantheon for some unknown reason.
Judging from #999, the Elven Pantheon is red, just like the Western Gods. Worth noting that in #680, the Elves have had the northern chunk of the Western Continent for centuries(the rest are the BST empires), so that's probably why they're red. I would guess that goblinoids are more widely spread than other species, yet all (mostly) follow the same god, The Dark One can't rightly be lumped in with any of the other pantheon colors. And being treated like XP fodder by all of them probably doesn't help - or maybe actually does now.

I would also guess that Thor calls the Eastern Pantheon the Eastern Pantheon, rather than by their color, it's possible that one of the gods' agreements throughout the cycle has been sticking to specific corners of the world - North(Thor, etc), South(The Twelve), and West(Nergal, Elves, etc).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: September 21, 2018, 08:54:28 pm »

You know, I wonder if Minrah will actually come back or she'll be somehow supporting the cast from the Afterlife.

Then again I have no idea how they expect to revive Durkon since the guy just disintegrated.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: September 21, 2018, 08:59:57 pm »

A single particle of dust is enough for a Resurrection spell. It is one of the things that makes it better than Raise Dead (which also wouldn't work on Durkon because he turned undead).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: September 21, 2018, 09:10:54 pm »

I guess we have an answer to "How do you convince Redcloak to resurrect Durkon, being that he is confirmed as the only living caster powerful enough for this job".

My guess is that Thor is going to do some minor cheating on the injunction against divine intervention to get this info to the party.

Side bet: The world inside the Snarl was created by the Eastern Pantheon, who still exist within it.

Double side bet: Xykon doesn't give a shit about world conquest or anything else too small for someone with a secret astral fortress - his real goal is the highest goal any evil wizard could hope for. The extermination of the gods.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: September 21, 2018, 09:39:56 pm »

Not only Redcloak and Durkon can cast that spell, I think. At the least the High Priest of Thor can cast it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: September 21, 2018, 09:49:51 pm »

I guess we have an answer to "How do you convince Redcloak to resurrect Durkon, being that he is confirmed as the only living caster powerful enough for this job".

Probably the only known caster powerful enough, there could be others. Then there is the problem of getting Durkons ashes to Redcloak or vice versa, there is the problem of what to do with Xykon... There are a whole bunch of things that have to be dealt with or reconciled with before Redcloak switches sides. If I recall, there is also the compulsion Xykon put on monster in the dark to eat Redcloak if Redcloak ever betrayed Xykon. However, Redcloak is certainly clever enough (also helps that MitD isn't too bright, pun unintended) to make it look like Redcloak didn't betray Xykon. After all, he's kept his own agenda hidden from Xykon all this time.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: September 21, 2018, 10:03:50 pm »

Not only Redcloak and Durkon can cast that spell, I think. At the least the High Priest of Thor can cast it.
Interesting thoughts: is it possible for a dead cleric to cast resurrection? and has anyone even considered tracking down a high level (although dead...) Cleric to have them cast resurrection?
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: September 21, 2018, 10:26:10 pm »

The vampire could probably cast it. Maybe even pull off some tricky timing by having the spell activate at the very same moment he gets staked, if your GM happens to be permissive.

A corpse probably doesn't retain its former spellcasting ability, no. Durkon can probably still cast from where he is in the outer planes, but Resurrection requires contact with the body.

...That makes me think of a high-level evil cleric casting True Resurrection on themselves while in hell. I guess knowing that spell gives you effective immunity to being permanently put down by murder. Provided you can find the material component in whatever place you end up. Scary.
(Unless there is some restriction on casting such things while dead that I'm not aware of?)

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: September 21, 2018, 11:24:17 pm »

The vampire could probably cast it. Maybe even pull off some tricky timing by having the spell activate at the very same moment he gets staked, if your GM happens to be permissive.

A corpse probably doesn't retain its former spellcasting ability, no. Durkon can probably still cast from where he is in the outer planes, but Resurrection requires contact with the body.

...That makes me think of a high-level evil cleric casting True Resurrection on themselves while in hell. I guess knowing that spell gives you effective immunity to being permanently put down by murder. Provided you can find the material component in whatever place you end up. Scary.
(Unless there is some restriction on casting such things while dead that I'm not aware of?)
The main problem with that, if it even works, is that you would remain in hell, and if you were capable of casting true resurrection, you probably get enough "special treatment" that you would be re-killed before you could plane shift away
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: September 22, 2018, 04:34:17 am »

Why are you all saying that Redcloak is the only character capable of casting Resurrection? Aside from the near-guaranteed case of Hilgya, there's a room full of clerics back at the Godsmoot that mostly all should be capable of casting it - it's the reason Roy went there in the first place. If you're thinking of True Resurrection*, then even assuming Redcloak has the spell, he wouldn't be alone, since the High Priest of Odin can cast it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: September 22, 2018, 09:05:36 am »

Irony: The Dark One wants the gate for the snarl to force recognition by the other gods, when merely showing up with his new color aura would have them near instantly giving him what he wants.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: September 22, 2018, 09:12:10 am »

Irony: The Dark One wants the gate for the snarl to force recognition by the other gods, when merely showing up with his new color aura would have them near instantly giving him what he wants.

How many of the other gods realize that his new color aura is exactly what they need though?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: September 22, 2018, 10:01:35 am »

Or maybe they all knew that, because Thor doesn't seem like the secret-keeping type, and the problem is that nobody wants to work with The Dark One except Thor and a few gods (probably Loki, too, since he did oppose destroying the world).
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: September 22, 2018, 10:05:15 am »

Indeed.  How many want what he offers?  Just because he offers a "more real" form of reality doesn't mean they necessarily want to shake the boat that's worked well enough so far, in the sense of them none of them dying in any of the occasional jailbreaks.  I could see concerns being thrown around about him being the wrong color for the job (hello, implications), that mixing him in might muddle the final product instead of making it stronger, or the like.  Given how the Godsmoot vote went and how many gods were so quick to throw in the towel, I can see quite a few not being willing to do anything to risk the current state of affairs even if it might result in a stronger prison purely out of the fear of the possibility of things going wrong again and consequent risk to their lives.  I can also see more conventional anti-parvenu attitudes being in play as well: these upstart ascended gods are nice and all, but they're not really true gods, so we can't trust them to help build a whole universe to imprison a god-killing being.  Besides, he's obviously not even in a proper pantheon, so he won't have the guidance of a proper god.

As well, how willing is the Dark One to cooperate: does he just want a place at the table, or does he want to be in charge?  All we know is what he's told to Redcloak so far about his side of the plot, which makes it sound like the former, but it's not impossible that it's the latter. 

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #3329 on: September 22, 2018, 02:31:45 pm »

I thought that Redcloak explained that the Dark Ones plan was that even if the gods are forced to remake the world, he'll be a part of that so can force it to be a fairer world for the new goblinoids? Incidentally that would also make the prison stronger and as real as the Snarl.

The long con is because he cares too much about the current goblinoids to see them wiped out by the unmaking of the world, but if the the other gods know the Dark One makes a difference they may just view remaking the world and building a stronger prison with the Dark One as the safer option anyway, so would not back the 'risky' option Thor and co are pushing for.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 313