Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 558491 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #3300 on: September 21, 2018, 10:23:44 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Durkon and Redcloak are enemies, though I'm not sure how well Redcloak actually knows Durkon other than perhaps seeing him as a member of an annoying team of protagonists. Contacting him is easy enough, true, but convincing him is another matter entirely.

But where did the Dark One come from. Can they not just ask more gods from there?

I'd imagine maybe something similar to the first Dwarven king who ascended to demigodhood, some being that became legendary in their own right, got worshipped, and ascended to godhood via sheer belief. His origins however, are unknown AFAIK.

It does sort of beg the question, if ascension to full godhood like that (compared to the first Dwarven king) is possible, then why does it sound like Thor is saying that out of the millions of worlds, this is the first time some being has ascended to full godhood like that?

edit: A thought just popped into my head: Maybe the Dark One didn't appear in THIS world and is from a few worlds back and is simply now this strong. However, as I've seen talked about in the GitP forum, where are the other ascended deities? It's unlikely that this is neccesarily the first time that some being ascended to godhood.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:27:05 am by smjjames »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: September 21, 2018, 10:39:00 am »

First off, it's super weird that something is fundamentally new this time around.  But I think we need to accept that as a narrative thing.

Maybe this is the first time they created a race of sapient punching bags?  At least to this extent?  Maybe even not just goblinoids, but the entire dungeon-crawl setup where adventurers kill designated targets for experience.  An entire world seemingly engineered for endless, morally-justified combat, DND style.

The souls of intelligent beings are said to have power, and we have a situation where there are a *lot* of them who exist only to lose a fight.  Why would they worship their creators?  The twist could be that the gods created the Dark One through sheer unfairness.  Basically forcing their creations (who Thor admits are more real than gods) to summon up a new way paradigm.

Of course, it's a paradigm built of abuse and spite, so we'll see how that goes.  Redcloak, ascended, would probably just make a nicer world without fantasy racism (and with more rationality, perhaps).  But he isn't the Dark One.

Also, I can't wait to see how "Power is Power" and "Unlives in the Ethereal plane" Xykon factors into all this.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #3302 on: September 21, 2018, 10:50:48 am »

Remember that the OOTS-verse is only a few millennia old, and apparently that's still longer than the others lasted.

I expect it's simply that the other worlds didn't survive long enough to birth a new god, whilst this one (by virtue of luck and persistence from the rest of the gods) actually did hold out long enough for the Dark One to come about and fill that gap left by the dead gods.

...Holy shit, the Dark One is Talos.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:54:11 am by MorleyDev »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: September 21, 2018, 11:01:32 am »

Theres just something about the way Durkon looks at Minrah when she compares all the beings of creation to dogs that cracks me up.

I wonder if this plotline is older than the pantheon colours of the gods being defined. Did Thor and Loki have the yellow aura the first times we saw them? If so, Rich must have been so annoyed when the came up with the divine colour theory and realised he couldnt get Red, Green, and Blue as the pantheon colours
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: September 21, 2018, 11:10:28 am »

Theres just something about the way Durkon looks at Minrah when she compares all the beings of creation to dogs that cracks me up.

I wonder if this plotline is older than the pantheon colours of the gods being defined. Did Thor and Loki have the yellow aura the first times we saw them? If so, Rich must have been so annoyed when the came up with the divine colour theory and realised he couldnt get Red, Green, and Blue as the pantheon colours

They do in 0079, but that may just be retconjuration.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: September 21, 2018, 11:12:54 am »

The colors were already set in stone by 273, and I'm pretty sure it's the first appearance of the other 3 pantheons.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: September 21, 2018, 11:42:22 am »

The colors were already set in stone by 273, and I'm pretty sure it's the first appearance of the other 3 pantheons.
The absence of the Eastern Pantheon took me by surprise this update, but it wasn't just foreshadowed - it was explicitly spelled out in this (and the next).  Nice.

I'm only at all surprised that Shojo knew about them, and was willing to share that detail with the Order.  Seems unnecessary, but it's not like he was lawful.
Edit:  Which of course means that Durkon was already aware of this revelation, which is why the comic focuses on her reaction instead.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 11:44:11 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: September 21, 2018, 12:29:24 pm »

I'm reminded of that hand puppet... Banjo the Clown? Is there any chance that that's the actual secret plot contrivance? Banjo ascends to full godhood, becomes the fifth color pantheon, and that helps them destroy the snarl?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: September 21, 2018, 12:32:11 pm »

No

No, surely not.
Jeez, yeah that would actually fit with everything pretty well.  He even started a pantheon on that orc island.
She/they

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: September 21, 2018, 01:26:52 pm »

I was actually pretty convinced that Thor was referring to Banjo in 1140. If not now, I'm still quite certain that Banjo will make a grand entrance as an actual god sooner or later.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: September 21, 2018, 02:05:25 pm »

Eh, Banjo pretty clearly has a blue aura while his brother Bubbles has a red one. I'm unsure how that works when they're in the same proto-pantheon, but there it is (as far as I remember it anyway).
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: September 21, 2018, 03:01:38 pm »

They may explain, but my theory is that minor deities cannot rise to the power of greater ones, and this is the first time that a minor deity has beckme this powerful, since the gods made all goblins and orcs an underdig race, and they rose a new god to power through sheer spite and hatred.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: September 21, 2018, 06:25:26 pm »

I remember Redcloak once mentioned of an Elven Pantheon that ascended to godhood like the Dark One but can't find any real info about them. My guess is that they're just the same color as some other pantheon for some unknown reason.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: September 21, 2018, 06:47:36 pm »

It's mentioned that they vote as part of the Western Pantheon here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: September 21, 2018, 07:24:17 pm »

I like this, because it means that a true victory for the OotS probably now requires a team up with Redcloak. And I like Recloak.
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 313