Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 558507 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #3285 on: September 13, 2018, 06:56:56 pm »

Personally I reject all inferior terms in favour of “teeth hurting juice”
oof owie my teeth
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: September 13, 2018, 08:03:33 pm »

Soda is literally synonymous with Seltzer. Seltzer is named after a German place which has naturally sodified water sources.
Love, scriver~

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3287 on: September 14, 2018, 12:23:00 am »

In some countries, "soda" is synonymous with "seltzer", but in others it can mean any fizzy drinks.  I propose a portmanteau.  Carbodrink.  Fizziquid.  Bubberage.

This episode had a surprising amount of callbacks to the very early days of the comic!  Well, two at least.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: September 14, 2018, 12:42:57 am »

Of course pizza went after milk duds first, the coward, leaving his allies to handle popcorn and liquid candy.  Milk duds may be a powerful theater candy but he's nothing compared to those other two.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: September 14, 2018, 10:02:02 am »

Given how many times the world has been destroyed, the deal with Hel seems pretty short sighted now. Either Loki didn't realize that everyone dying due to the gods unraveling creation would count as dishonorable, or he was hoping that this time the Snarl would break out and devour all the dwarf souls before Hel could collect.

...Unless his real plan was to trick Thor into an unwinnable situation and sow chaos amongst the gods, which I'll admit is pretty in-character.

I do not know about that, but I just realised something. Dwarves do not live forever. I looked it up on D&D wiki and apparently, their natural livespan is between 250 and 450 years (mountain dwarves).

The world is 1184 years old.

Assuming dwarves are fertile until they start being old (188 years), there were at least 7 generations of dwarves, including the current one, probably more. At least 4 of these generations are dead. And that is with dwarves only giving birth just before their 188th year and dying at their 450th year.

If 90% of the dead dwarves died honorably (There would be some that failed to do so, but most would, knowing that if they do not, they will belong to Hel), even Hel cashing in all the current Dwarven souls now may not make her powerful enough to beat all the other gods.

But the longer she waits, the worse it becomes for her. The number of dead keeps increasing, and most of them die honorably.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: September 14, 2018, 12:12:40 pm »

Is nobody else focused on the fact that this page is actually canon now? I don't wanna feel lonely here.
My god, there's continuity in it! The blue striped candy thing trained, grew a 5 o'clock shadow, and took revenge on Pizza for killing his pal Milk Duds.
Only a mouthless eldritch abomination wouldn't know what soda is.
I don't know what you mean! I too am a human individual that requires hydration to sustain their bodily existence.

We should meet some time and talk about our internal skeletons!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: September 14, 2018, 12:24:07 pm »

Given how many times the world has been destroyed, the deal with Hel seems pretty short sighted now. Either Loki didn't realize that everyone dying due to the gods unraveling creation would count as dishonorable, or he was hoping that this time the Snarl would break out and devour all the dwarf souls before Hel could collect.

...Unless his real plan was to trick Thor into an unwinnable situation and sow chaos amongst the gods, which I'll admit is pretty in-character.

I do not know about that, but I just realised something. Dwarves do not live forever. I looked it up on D&D wiki and apparently, their natural livespan is between 250 and 450 years (mountain dwarves).

Assuming dwarves are fertile until they start being old (188 years), there were at least 7 generations of dwarves, including the current one, probably more. At least 4 of these generations are dead. And that is with dwarves only giving birth just before their 188th year and dying at their 450th year.

If 90% of the dead dwarves died honorably (There would be some that failed to do so, but most would, knowing that if they do not, they will belong to Hel), even Hel cashing in all the current Dwarven souls now may not make her powerful enough to beat all the other gods.

But the longer she waits, the worse it becomes for her. The number of dead keeps increasing, and most of them die honorably.

The Giant has explained that souls provide a lot of power when a god first gets them, then they taper off, eventually to practically nothing as the soul merges into the plane. Each fresh soul is worth a great many old souls.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: September 15, 2018, 03:58:54 am »

Then it all makes sense.
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: September 15, 2018, 06:42:03 am »

What was the first generation of Dwarves? Or any creature really? Did the god's just spawn a bunch of dwarven babies and let them fend for themselves?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: September 15, 2018, 07:13:31 am »

I think Rich has said that the world was created with fully-formed adults and a functional society or whatever. During the endless familicide arguments or something
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3295 on: September 15, 2018, 12:50:21 pm »

I just realized something.  Given how many times the gods have created and destroyed worlds, how central the Snarl is in their general politics and state of affairs, and how much they all want to be rid of it for good, it's possible that there might be something more to Hel and Thor's deal than just a power play determining who gets to run the next world.  Maybe they have different ideas for how to deal with the Snarl and Hel is actually a well-intentioned extremist who has her own plan for dealing with it (likely less idealistic but more practical), but that will only work if she gets to run things.

Rich likes playing around with overly simplistic notions of good and evil.  I wouldn't be surprised if we get to hear Hel's whole plan, and it turns out to be something that makes sense on some level.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: September 21, 2018, 09:33:25 am »

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: September 21, 2018, 09:41:40 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:14:32 am by smjjames »

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: September 21, 2018, 10:09:03 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But where did the Dark One come from. Can they not just ask more gods from there?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: September 21, 2018, 10:13:19 am »

"There's a new color in the crayon box"

Congratulations, guys, we are all spectators of a world in which even the deities compare themselves to low-quality lumps of colored wax with a flimsy paper wrapper.

Oh, and ochre jelly.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 313