Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 564549 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #2985 on: July 24, 2018, 08:42:43 am »

Ah. Oooh.
Love, scriver~

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: July 24, 2018, 11:47:30 am »

Also, the cat. Look at the cat!
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: July 24, 2018, 11:51:06 am »

And also. Look at the stake that is lying right next to Belkar and cat
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: July 24, 2018, 12:28:12 pm »

If he revives, will he still be dominated?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: July 24, 2018, 12:35:09 pm »

Yeah, sorry.
To clarify, the spell lasts for days, and allows sleep/rest.  The ability acts like said spell.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: July 24, 2018, 04:32:55 pm »

Wow that spell reads as ridiculously, farcically powerful to me, having only 5es spells for comparison hahah
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: July 24, 2018, 04:41:47 pm »

It's pretty similar to the 5E version of Dominate person. The big differences that I can see are in 5E you can take direct control of their actions and they get a new save when they take damage, in 3.5 you can get sensory information and they get a new save when they are forced to "something against their nature", which is sorta a wash. And the biggest differences are that in 5E it only lasts a minute (which means it's still just about as good a combat spell, but worse for out of combat uses) and needs concentration, like most 5E spells with an ongoing effect.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: July 24, 2018, 04:47:20 pm »

I find it funny that the target gets to roll a new save each day that passes, if you don't spend one round concentrating on the spell each day. Under what circumstances would you be so busy that you don't have the opportunity to spend six seconds maintaining control in your whole day?

I guess that would come into effect if the caster dominates someone, gives them an order, then has their own memory magically wiped, so they don't remember they have to do the concentrating thing? Or a GM could use it to fuck with a player who forgot to say they spend one round concentrating on the control, I guess. :P

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: July 24, 2018, 04:49:34 pm »

I think it's probably for when your allies kill the person who cast the spell on you.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: July 24, 2018, 04:51:04 pm »

I find it funny that the target gets to roll a new save each day that passes, if you don't spend one round concentrating on the spell each day. Under what circumstances would you be so busy that you don't have the opportunity to spend six seconds maintaining control in your whole day?
"You Dominated the Whole Bloody Kingdom and you DIDN'T Expect a few of the adventurers to break free when you forgot about them? Really?"
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: July 24, 2018, 04:54:30 pm »

Wouldn’t killing the  controller break the dominate? I suppose it depends on the particular dominate/control creature/charm/<any spell with the same kind of mind control effect> spell being used.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: July 24, 2018, 05:00:52 pm »

In 3.5, no, afaik there's no rules that spell duration is tied to the life of the caster except in cases where that's explicitly the case (which it isn't for most spells of course) so spells continue on. Potentially certain self buffing spells would end as you turn from a creature into an object (what is a dead body in 3.5, creature or object, is actually somewhat debatable and an important distinction for some spells I believe) and thus no longer quallify as a target for the spell, but other then that they should just keep on past death.

In 5E almost all spells with an ongoing effect are concentration and thus will end when the dead caster can no longer concentrate. There are a few exceptions though I believe, which afaik would also continue past death.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: July 24, 2018, 05:45:08 pm »

Wow that spell reads as ridiculously, farcically powerful to me, having only 5es spells for comparison hahah

The limitation is that the Will Save isn't that hard to pass.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: July 24, 2018, 07:52:20 pm »

The limitation is that the Will Save isn't that hard to pass.
And then the Order of the Stick basically started throwing ones left and right.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: July 25, 2018, 12:00:27 am »

The OOTS universe is 3.5 though, not 5E. Of course though, Helgya, of all people, should have a high will save, and then there’s Minrah who somehow dodged it, maybe wasn’t in line of sight.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 313