Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 562056 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #2640 on: December 07, 2017, 05:48:24 pm »

I thought it was a wall being built? Odin was convinced by Loki to accept a deal whereby if the giant could complete the wall within a certain amount of time, he could have Freyja as his wife (or maybe it was the moon, not too sure anymore.) When it looked like, with the help of his horse, the giant was gonna win, Odin was not pleased. To salvage the situation, Loki turned himself into a mare and distracted the horse.

Slepnir, Odin's six legged horse, is the result. He's both his mount and his nephew.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: December 07, 2017, 05:51:01 pm »

With a dm that is just straight fed up with his behaviour. Hence stuff like horse rape.

Also, to be fair, he didn't rape a horse. It was consensual, as Loki was the mare, and the stallion mounted him (her?).

I'm pretty certain scriver meant rape by horse here, as a "dm punishment" for the Chaotic Neutral Loki.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: December 07, 2017, 05:57:07 pm »

Oh right, my bad. Dunno whether it's rape, though, given what else was Loki expecting? When the stallion starts sniffing your nether regions, it's either time to run or shapeshift the hell out of there.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: December 07, 2017, 06:50:29 pm »

I thought it was a wall being built? Odin was convinced by Loki to accept a deal whereby if the giant could complete the wall within a certain amount of time, he could have Freyja as his wife (or maybe it was the moon, not too sure anymore.) When it looked like, with the help of his horse, the giant was gonna win, Odin was not pleased. To salvage the situation, Loki turned himself into a mare and distracted the horse.

Slepnir, Odin's six legged horse, is the result. He's both his mount and his nephew.

It was a wall. Specifically, a wall around all of Asgard. Odin was the one who made the deal in the first place, because he did not intend to pay up. Loki distracting the magically fast and strong horse was just the first attempt to cheat the giant. Eventually the giant succeeded despite having lost his magic pony - so Odin sent Thor to void the deal.

And I think you know what I mean by "void the deal".

Oh right, my bad. Dunno whether it's rape, though, given what else was Loki expecting? When the stallion starts sniffing your nether regions, it's either time to run or shapeshift the hell out of there.

Running was part of the distraction ;)
Love, scriver~

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: December 09, 2017, 03:32:11 am »

Well, if you can count blood brothership as enough to make their children your nephews.

But the funny thing is, that Sleipnir is the least bad of Loki's children that I know of.

Fenrir, the Wolf has already eaten Tyr's hand and will eat the sun.
Jormundgander, the Midgardsormr (Worldsnake) will eventually kill Thor, who will kill him.
Hel is the ruler of Helheim and goddes of sickness and death.

Sleipnir just carries Odin.

Running was part of the distraction ;)

Unfortunately for him (her?), Loki could not run fast enough.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: December 09, 2017, 05:42:17 am »

I've always loved that the life-ending troubles of the Norse pantheon could always be traced to their own incredibly terrible and douchey actions. I recall even Surtr's problem with them being that they stiffed another giant on a deal and then murdered him (maybe even this same one?), absolute dickheads that they are.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: December 09, 2017, 05:54:43 am »

Would Fenrir really want to kill the gods so badly, had they not tied him with a ribbon made of weird stuff?

And yes, this sounds exactly like that. I remember, that they even sent Thor disguised (but NOT shapeshifted) as Freya. How was the giant not able to tell the difference, I have no idea.

Edit: And Freya was supposed to be the price for the Giant making the wall in time.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 05:57:33 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: December 09, 2017, 08:59:16 am »

Would Fenrir really want to kill the gods so badly, had they not tied him with a ribbon made of weird stuff?

And yes, this sounds exactly like that. I remember, that they even sent Thor disguised (but NOT shapeshifted) as Freya. How was the giant not able to tell the difference, I have no idea.

Edit: And Freya was supposed to be the price for the Giant making the wall in time.

the bit where they sent Thor dressed as Freya is a completely different myth, about the theft of Mjolnir, if I'm not mistaken.

edit: and as for the wall story, I've usually found it written as "the man with a horse, who was secretly a giant, made the deal/offer to Odin, who said "no thats an awful deal for us", but was persuaded by Loki, who bet his life that it was impossible for the giant to finish the wall and therefore would not need paying"
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:01:23 am by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: December 29, 2017, 06:10:41 am »

Why is this called the order of the stick?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: December 29, 2017, 07:27:20 am »

Why is this called the order of the stick?
That question is forbidden. To the magma pits you go.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: December 29, 2017, 07:35:59 am »

It's a pun based on the name of their evil twins, the Liner Guild, Guild becomes Order and Sticks are pretty Liner. Roy named them that to show defiance to their evil way.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: December 29, 2017, 09:04:13 am »

It is explained in one of the prequel books. Elan named the ground after a stick on the ground.

Also, they're stick figures.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: December 29, 2017, 03:35:17 pm »

Coincidentally, the thread came back just in time for a new strip: Boys Don't Scry.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: December 29, 2017, 03:47:27 pm »

Coincidentally, the thread came back just in time for a new strip: Boys Don't Scry.

Oh hey, the 'trace amounts works for the spell' argument. Will Save World for Gold did that over two months ago. I know from discussion on the DND thread (or maybe here) that it works for raise dead spells, but I have no idea about the scrying stuff. Although Rich Burlew is using some homecooked rules I believe.

Also, I love how Hilgya jumps right to assumptions, lol.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:55:28 pm by smjjames »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: December 29, 2017, 03:52:13 pm »

Funny, I checked for a new strip earlier today, and didn't see this. Just off timing?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 313