Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 561181 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #2565 on: November 04, 2017, 08:52:40 pm »

I've never seen any way of fucking with a bag of holding that didn't end up backfiring on the person doing it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: November 04, 2017, 09:10:02 pm »

I've never seen any way of fucking with a bag of holding that didn't end up backfiring on the person doing it.
Well, it's beyond the scope of our force cage, but there's always the idea of the "Davy Crockett" arrow rigged with a bag of holding and a portable hole.  As long as you can shoot it more than ten feet away and reach a level where you can afford to blow 22.5k gp on a single shot, at least...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 09:13:34 pm by Culise »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: November 04, 2017, 09:25:43 pm »

I like how your response was the most backfire-prone application of a bag of holding possible without consciously using it as a suicide weapon.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: November 04, 2017, 09:28:24 pm »

I like how your response was the most backfire-prone application of a bag of holding possible without consciously using it as a suicide weapon.
:P

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: November 05, 2017, 02:26:12 am »

Or Haley could ready an action and once V dispells the cage, bag him. Then he could not be attacked.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: November 05, 2017, 11:15:06 am »

Or breathe.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: November 05, 2017, 11:56:53 am »

Wouldn't the players write down their inventory somewhere? Someone's gotta keep track of who has what stuff. That's what I was getting at with inventory check, not empty the dang bag of holding. Though obviously they'd need an in-character way of 'checking inventory'.

Thoughtwhiletyping: is there some sort of spell that allows telepathic communication (or some other covert method of communicating) since the GM has pulled the 'the monsters can hear everything you're saying' card on the players. V is probably the wrong class for the telepathic stuff and Haley certainly has her methods of covert communication.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: November 05, 2017, 12:26:02 pm »

Not sure how Mind Blank effects telepathic communication. One of those "poorly worded, oh god we're letting the GM rules-lawyer it?!" things.

How about Hide from Undead? Minrah can conceivably cast it. Granted, it might not be perfect since they're surrounded, and it ends for everyone if anyone touches an undead.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: November 05, 2017, 12:51:29 pm »

Mind Blank blocks all mind-affecting effects and all forms of Divination.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: November 05, 2017, 02:28:33 pm »

Not sure how Mind Blank effects telepathic communication. One of those "poorly worded, oh god we're letting the GM rules-lawyer it?!" things.

How about Hide from Undead? Minrah can conceivably cast it. Granted, it might not be perfect since they're surrounded, and it ends for everyone if anyone touches an undead.

Seems more useful as an escape method rather than in a fight, though it could conceivably be used to set up an ambush..... Or perhaps to keep the vampires from being able to listen to them plan things out.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: November 06, 2017, 05:27:20 pm »

I just realized something that I could have rule-lawyered earlier. The vampires are incapable of attacking anyone but Vaarsuvius. Because they were specifically ordered to kill V first. They, or at least Sandstone, have the freedom to plan and take actions to that goal, including defensive buffs and picking targets after their primary one, but their specific target is Vaarsuvius. Even when Sandstone tried to dominate Minrah, it was in an attempt to get her to attack V.

Maybe they can repeat that trick with the Silicon Elemental - neither Durkon or the vampire controlling him witnessed that tactic.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: November 06, 2017, 05:51:03 pm »

That would not work. Even if they are still thralls, they are far more free-willed than a summoned elemental is - from in-comic evidence alone, note that Durkula was moving and acting without orders while still Malak's thrall, and he was fully capable of deciding that summoning an ally was a good idea even if he sought permission first. Durkula would have had to phrase his orders in a narrow and very convoluted way for "wizard keep away" to be a workable tactic.

If we ignore this, or find a way to reconcile the observed behavior and assume that "enslaved vampires" operated as per Dominate Person, this problem would still be easily avoided. Durkula would be aware that the vampires are in combat, and be able to dip into a thrall's mind to observe the action once every round. He could also change the orders by remote control.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: November 06, 2017, 06:03:14 pm »

Doesn't mean that the wizard wouldn't be a tactical priority since you'd want to take out (or at least disable) the biggest and most dangerous damage dealer as quickly as possible. The two biggest damage dealers here are V and Roy, one is a tank and one isn't, seems obvious which one you'd want to take out first regardless of whether the vampires can change tactics on the fly.

Durkula told them to take out V first because he knew V is dangerous enough (and probably wouldn't have had to take a memory dive to recognize that) to warrant targeting first at all costs.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: November 06, 2017, 06:03:58 pm »

Even at maximum rules-lawyering, they could also incapacitate and the damage the other characters, as long as they're trying to ensure the wizard is the first to die.

As pointed out, even vampire spawn are far more intelligent than an elemental.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: November 13, 2017, 04:16:25 pm »

Today's comic made me wonder if it had a reference to dwarf fortress.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 313