Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 561188 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #2550 on: October 30, 2017, 04:50:03 pm »

Belkar said that Haley's aphasia was "good new for fans of cryptograms." Is he just noting that her words are incomprehensible, or...has anyone tried running them through frequency analysis yet?

They're a simple substitution cipher, the exact substitution changes between strips but it's easy to just find the "you"s and "the"s and extrapolate from there. You still have to do it each time, but it's kinda fun once you get into the groove.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: October 31, 2017, 11:53:31 am »

They've all been translated. Here's one rendition, which is probably easier than the forum threads on the subject (Rich does NOT like people editing his art, so those are just a "In panel 1 she says this, in panel 2 she says this" format).

Do you know the only cooler thing that Rich could have done there? Instead of random ciphers he could have coded a message into that itself.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: October 31, 2017, 12:05:53 pm »

Since when did "cooler" = "more nerdy"?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: October 31, 2017, 01:05:06 pm »

Since always among the kind of people who read a stick figure webcomic about Dungeons and Dragons.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: October 31, 2017, 01:05:30 pm »

Point noted and accepted.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: November 03, 2017, 04:18:42 pm »

Update: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1104.html

I almost want this to happen in my group, some time.  We're usually pretty good about it, but when things get desperate...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: November 03, 2017, 04:51:59 pm »

So, according to the SRD, even though the cage looks relatively to the characters much larger, it only has 10ft long edge.
That ruins the idea I had about V just flying high, so that any vampire wanting to attack him would have to go to bat form.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: November 03, 2017, 05:05:51 pm »

Talking is a free action. Talking and understanding it is a DC10 Listen check.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: November 03, 2017, 06:22:39 pm »

Free action, but it's still canonically 6 seconds :P  One of our group actually enforces that occasionally, when GMing (we're allowed to think about it, then try to describe our plan in the 6 seconds).  It's kinda fun.

Enemies never hear us though, hehe.  Yet.
(Sometimes NPCs ask what we're whispering about)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: November 04, 2017, 05:13:41 pm »

I can't help but think the Grease spell will be useful here.

Lube up everyone but Roy and V and position them so they intercept anything going for V - because their master ordered them to, they will go for V. Greasing someone adds +10 to avoid/escape grapples. That should keep pressure off Vaarsuvius for at least one round so s/he can start casting again. If necessary, everyone should take defensive actions to avoid getting hit by the vampires' slams and avoiding level drains. Otherwise, everyone but Roy or V should focus their attacks on Sandstone - I suspect he's a full vampire and not merely a spawn. Roy or V should focus on clearing the spawns out to avoid getting mobbed.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: November 04, 2017, 05:25:58 pm »

V can't case Grease, because it barred Conjuration. Elan technically could, but him learning it is a questionable idea.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: November 04, 2017, 07:52:42 pm »

A situation like this would definetly call for an inventory check, I didn’t play DnD, but even when I’m playing adventure games, I find myself with lots of stuff that I simply picked up some time back and forgot about, I assume the same is true of DnD players.

It’s a possible outlet for a deus ex machina or something.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: November 04, 2017, 08:10:03 pm »

Sure, emptying out your Bag of Holding sounds like a great idea until you discover you're now trapped in a force cage with the 500 different kinds of sharp and pointy objects you kept in there.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: November 04, 2017, 08:21:13 pm »

Sure, emptying out your Bag of Holding sounds like a great idea until you discover you're now trapped in a force cage with the 500 different kinds of sharp and pointy objects you kept in there.

You know I don’t literally mean empty your bag of holding. :P 

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: November 04, 2017, 08:50:24 pm »

I dunno, emptying your bag of holding to distribute tons of sharp objects might be a decent idea. Especially if you, say, use an Explosive Runes spell(which V definitely has) to send it all as shrapnel towards your attackers.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 313