Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 559754 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick: 1000 Hel Polls for Thee
« Reply #1395 on: August 29, 2015, 12:42:36 am »

Damn, I was idly hoping that comic 1000 would have the vote of the gods going for destroy and the comic ending at such an auspicious number. Oh well.
The last panel being the players and DM, with the players offering to start buying pizza.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: August 29, 2015, 01:41:24 am »

Damn, I was idly hoping that comic 1000 would have the vote of the gods going for destroy and the comic ending at such an auspicious number. Oh well.
The last panel being the players and DM, with the players offering to start buying pizza.
hey this isn't Full Frontal Nerdity.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: August 29, 2015, 05:48:47 pm »

I keep seeing in places that Roy got some spell disruption feat while he was dead. I don't know of any such feat, but I do know you can declare a readied action to attack when someone starts casting a spell - which forces a Concentration check to avoid losing the spell.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: August 29, 2015, 05:55:40 pm »

I keep seeing in places that Roy got some spell disruption feat while he was dead. I don't know of any such feat, but I do know you can declare a readied action to attack when someone starts casting a spell - which forces a Concentration check to avoid losing the spell.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0600.html

The consensus is that it's probably some variant of Mage Slayer, which makes it impossible to avoid the Attack Of Opportunity for casting by casting defensively.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: August 29, 2015, 05:56:48 pm »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: August 29, 2015, 06:03:23 pm »

The barbearian (sic, bear-totem) in my dnd group had a feat "mage slayer" from Complete Arcane which prevented mages from casting defensively.  It worked sorta like this, except that we were interpreting it very wrong.
(...not surprising, for reasons.)

It's a bit weird, and doesn't really match what happens in OoTS.  A mage threatened by the character (in this case an ogre with like 40 reach most times) automatically fails all concentration checks to cast defensively.  Losing the spell but not provoking.

What we somehow missed was that a threatened mage is always aware of this, so there's no reason for them to try (they can still cast normally and hope to concentrate over the damage).  Which makes it not match the OoTS feat.  (We played it as they aren't aware, and then they even provoked on the failed attempt, which is doubly wrong)

Also when the Barbearian gained the ability to cast corrupt spells as a full-level caster, we forgot to penalize his caster level by 4 as per the feat.  But, that was about when I quit in disgust anyway.  That wasn't even the reason, but it didn't help...

In short I have no idea what the feat is.  I kinda assumed it was homebrew, but Mr. Burlew seems pretty good about sticking to official material.  Probably since so many people work hard on theorycrafting.

(I failed my spot check against ninjas)
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: August 29, 2015, 06:46:24 pm »

Another interesting thing I found while re-reading stuff was this where dwarves who die of alcohol-related disease do NOT go to Hel. Look at the last few visible lines on that letter.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: August 29, 2015, 06:57:45 pm »

While the other priests cannot directly attack Durkon, does anything stop them from, say, buffing or healing Roy until he eventually wins?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1403 on: August 29, 2015, 07:04:14 pm »

ROY VS SUSPICIOUS URIST

PLACE YA BETS
I bet Belkar
Hang on, isn't it in the prophecy that Belkar dies for good?

Could it be that Belkar takes down Durkon but by the laws has to be killed?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: August 29, 2015, 07:10:19 pm »

Another interesting thing I found while re-reading stuff was this where dwarves who die of alcohol-related disease do NOT go to Hel. Look at the last few visible lines on that letter.

Just apropos nothing, or are you saying this has some kind of connection to current goings ons that I am not picking up?
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: August 29, 2015, 07:10:55 pm »

ROY VS SUSPICIOUS URIST

PLACE YA BETS
I bet Belkar
Hang on, isn't it in the prophecy that Belkar dies for good?

Could it be that Belkar takes down Durkon but by the laws has to be killed?

Belkar is officially Durkon's bodyguard, same as Roy. If Belkar had to be killed, so would Roy.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: August 29, 2015, 07:15:50 pm »

Unless he engages-distracts the clerics who are buffing Durkon.
She/they

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: August 29, 2015, 07:16:48 pm »

Just apropos nothing, or are you saying this has some kind of connection to current goings ons that I am not picking up?

No connection as far as I'm aware, just pointing it out. On the other hand, Durkon(not the vampire) does not know his grandfather is dead. The two might meet in the afterlife after the vampire is destroyed.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: August 29, 2015, 09:56:53 pm »

No connection as far as I'm aware, just pointing it out. On the other hand, Durkon(not the vampire) does not know his grandfather is dead. The two might meet in the afterlife after the vampire is destroyed.
Also, "Both of his livers".

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: August 31, 2015, 11:54:23 am »

Oh man.  I'm betting Roy's ability to snap out of Durkon's mind control is somehow taken from his experience with Girard's pyramid.

Edit: ooh, r/oots pointed out that this strip mentions Roy's ability to throw off Domination.  With some nice Hel vs. Thor foreshadowing to boot!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:56:44 am by Remalle »
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 313