Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 560027 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick: 966 About Town
« Reply #1020 on: October 30, 2014, 01:07:02 pm »

That's a good point. Still, I like his wit.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: October 30, 2014, 03:51:04 pm »

So portions of the dialogue only make sense from a retroactive author's perspective, he has no idea how anything in his own comic works unless he absolutely needs to and even then he's not going to explain it, and vampires are common/famous enough for everyone to know what they are and how they work but also rare/mysterious enough that nobody knows how they work internally, except for that they "go against the natural order of things" even though the reasons why are the things nobody knows about.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: October 30, 2014, 08:42:10 pm »

Just egotistical grandstanding from where I'm standing. You don't have to go to twitter every time you do something moral.
Isn't that only one instance? o_O and...not everything moral he did?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: October 30, 2014, 09:47:06 pm »

Just egotistical grandstanding from where I'm standing. You don't have to go to twitter every time you do something moral.
It's more of a trend of people doing this sort of thing that annoys me. "Ooh, look at me being so progressive and affirming of LGBTQI+ publicly. I'll make a snappy retort at some bigot and let you the people decide how to react." It's the same vein as all these "97% of people won't repost this..." on Facebook and "Bring on the downvotes, because I say [very popular opinion]" on Reddit.

Everybody who does stuff like this knows going into it the reaction they're going to get. It creates a circlejerk around the subject for being oh so principled. It's done to feed their own egos, both the original poster and everybody who swarms around it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: October 30, 2014, 10:29:11 pm »

Eh. It's a good social trend anyway - it's how you get people internalizing the attitude, anyway. One of the things that perpetuates bigotry is people getting exactly this kind of reinforcement for saying bigoted things, and this is kind of a direct counter to it. I don't particularly care to speculate on his motives, given the increasing trend toward grandstanding in personal interactions in general.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: October 31, 2014, 02:09:17 am »

It's more of a trend of people doing this sort of thing that annoys me. "Ooh, look at me being so progressive and affirming of LGBTQI+ publicly. I'll make a snappy retort at some bigot and let you the people decide how to react." It's the same vein as all these "97% of people won't repost this..." on Facebook and "Bring on the downvotes, because I say [very popular opinion]" on Reddit.

Everybody who does stuff like this knows going into it the reaction they're going to get. It creates a circlejerk around the subject for being oh so principled. It's done to feed their own egos, both the original poster and everybody who swarms around it.

In this case, the person he was responding to tried to bully his publisher into not publishing OOTS material. Not only that, but he got a huge amount of flak from some of the forum members for "shoving a lesbian into the narrative for the sake of political correctness", with a few of them acting if a female character casually mentioning an ex-girlfriend was "Ooh, look at me being so progressive and affirming of LGBTQI+ publicly." (Can't link to the posts in question, when someone gets in trouble over there the posts get scrubbed.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1026 on: November 03, 2014, 06:26:31 am »

That would have been useful information for Rich to include in the Twitter post. It really does come across as a circlejerk.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: November 03, 2014, 07:27:41 am »

In this case, the person he was responding to tried to bully his publisher into not publishing OOTS material. Not only that, but he got a huge amount of flak from some of the forum members for "shoving a lesbian into the narrative for the sake of political correctness", with a few of them acting if a female character casually mentioning an ex-girlfriend was "Ooh, look at me being so progressive and affirming of LGBTQI+ publicly." (Can't link to the posts in question, when someone gets in trouble over there the posts get scrubbed.)
Strange...those forum members are inclined to make unwarranted assumptions as if there was malevolent intent with the dialogue and...the intent in general.

...Or maybe its just me in seeing a single out of the many. I really don't get this 'ooohh, look at {x}' thing >.> Attention grabbing?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: November 03, 2014, 08:47:47 am »

That would have been useful information for Rich to include in the Twitter post. It really does come across as a circlejerk.
Dude, it's Twitter. 140 characters. If you're looking for nuance and context, you're in the wrong place.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: November 09, 2014, 04:43:38 am »

How dare Rich not use Chinese!?!
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: November 10, 2014, 03:51:57 pm »

New one is up.  So that answers that question.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: November 10, 2014, 03:59:52 pm »

New one is up.  So that answers that question.
* 4maskwolf begins to chortle with laughter

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1032 on: November 10, 2014, 04:35:03 pm »

The Elf makes no misunderstandings.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: November 10, 2014, 06:08:37 pm »

Apply ice to burn.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1034 on: November 10, 2014, 06:19:22 pm »

If the target doesn't hear the burn does it still burn?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 313