Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: AREA GUNIN: Idea Dump, Things I Like  (Read 15917 times)

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
Re: Area GUNIN: Idea Dump, Things I Like
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2014, 06:09:10 pm »

They can be Eskimo Nazis.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2014, 06:12:27 pm »

They can be Eskimo Nazis.
Uhh, yeah.. Yeah, they could be.

Of course, they wouldn't in this context. They're simple, but not that simple, and they're meant to be a force that represents an ultimate and incorruptible good that fights for all mankind.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2014, 06:18:18 pm »

I'll give you a cookie if you change it to Eskimo Nazis.

At first glance, that seems very 2D. I would hope you would try to flesh it out more than "We are good! Anyone who hates mankind will die! Yes!"

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2014, 06:33:06 pm »

At first glance, that seems very 2D. I would hope you would try to flesh it out more than "We are good! Anyone who hates mankind will die! Yes!"
I like black and white "hi! we're the good gu-" *punch* "and we're the bad guys! Waaghahahaaa!!~" plots. I don't think there's anything wrong with them. You want some gritty, grey morality, pretentious antihero stuff? Nope, thanks, make sure you let the door hit you on the way out! :p A simple backstory with really strong characters who fight fervently for what they believe in is what I like.

Their goals aren't gonna be more complex than 'waste those commies', and I'm okay with that.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2014, 06:40:10 pm »

Ummm

No, the coldest most forgettable part of the world doesn't strike me as awesome.

As far as backstory goes...man I can't think of any thing.

Weird global warming where the ice becomes a very important material for refinery?

I like black and white "hi! we're the good gu-" *punch* "and we're the bad guys! Waaghahahaaa!!~" plots. I don't think there's anything wrong with them. You want some gritty, grey morality, pretentious antihero stuff? Nope, thanks, make sure you let the door hit you on the way out! :p A simple backstory with really strong characters who fight fervently for what they believe in is what I like.

Their goals aren't gonna be more complex than 'waste those commies', and I'm okay with that.

You know..I agree. Fuck it space commies vs. The kingdom of Antarica.

The KOA being in another planet with no space faring tech. Until we, the players, take on C com, the force to repel and reverse engineer enemy tech.

We'll keep on fighting until the communist leadership of Vladimir Lenin, Joseph Stalin, Kruschev, and whoever I missed are assassinated. Heck a forum game with an end..I don't see much of it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 06:45:00 pm by 3man75 »

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2014, 06:44:36 pm »

That's good, I honestly don't know which I would prefer. I suppose a lot of what I like depends on the world and setting - the black and white is better with fantasy than, say, cyberpunk IMHO. However, the gritty world can also go really well with fantasy if done right. Basically I suppose it would boil down to: clear cut is best with fantasy and grim dark is good with anything but best with futuristic or modern day. But yeah, just my two cents on that lot.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2014, 07:07:39 pm »

Ummm. No, the coldest most forgettable part of the world doesn't strike me as awesome.

As far as backstory goes...man I can't think of any thing. Weird global warming where the ice becomes a very important material for refinery?

You know..I agree. Fuck it space commies vs. The kingdom of Antarica.
It's not forgettable. It's a really fascinating place and the least touched by humanity.

The NSSR are jerks and they're trying to take over the solar system. The Kingdom of Antarctica, having a policy of isolationism, is largely ignored by the rest of the world until it's revealed that they have a technology based on a mysterious element that's useless until it's subjected to extreme negative temperature. This technology? Lasers! Pew pew! Or something. Cooltech is cooltech and could be anything.

That's good, I honestly don't know which I would prefer. I suppose a lot of what I like depends on the world and setting - the black and white is better with fantasy than, say, cyberpunk IMHO. However, the gritty world can also go really well with fantasy if done right. Basically I suppose it would boil down to: clear cut is best with fantasy and grim dark is good with anything but best with futuristic or modern day. But yeah, just my two cents on that lot.
I guess that makes sense. Medieval settings played straight breed dark stories because it was a dirty, bloody time. Fantasy, though? That could be anything. Look at Discworld.

When you're coming up with a story, you either see or imagine a setting and you go "I like that, I want to make up a story as an excuse to explore this setting some more and make it my own" or you imagine a story and you're all "man I could totally make this work with [blank] setting."

---

I like this thread because I can talk about these ideas without turning each and every one into a game.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2014, 07:24:35 pm »

Yeah, and you don't derail any other threads talking about stuff like this. I like it.

I can also count most of my ideas as coming from the former.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2014, 07:54:03 pm »

There ice is really....TERRA FLUID ICE!

Which the NSSR found out via illegal subterfuge can power their fleets as well as other devices.

The KOA rejected trade treaties and threats until an invasion was ordered. According to the Soviets, this was because a ship carrying a "Economic trade deal" was blown up by the Kings secret department .

Players play a secret agent who infiltrates the NSSR Military in order to: Recon with other agents, sabotage equipment, bring back Intel, procure technology, and turn the NSSR Military against itself.

All the while dodging enemy counter intelligence agents.

End.

That could be pretty uped a bit but, meh. Still using phone.

Btw gun, what's so great about Antarctica? An isn't the deep ocean the last unexplored frontier?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2014, 10:10:36 pm »

My question is why the Commies in basically every game on the forums are the bad guys, or if not the bad guys, Orwellian in feel. Why not have a setting where the good guys have made communism work?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2014, 11:21:59 pm »

Dwarves communist in a fortress. With space theme?

Plus one of the communist agendas biggest points is weariness of bourgeois influences and or decadence.

Or at least in Stalinist Russia it was.

So yeah, constant fear and hate of someone having influence is why. It's very easy to have that backfire.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2014, 12:08:29 am »

My question is why the Commies in basically every game on the forums are the bad guys, or if not the bad guys, Orwellian in feel. Why not have a setting where the good guys have made communism work?
Why? Because people don't know that all communists aren't bad unless you tell them?

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2014, 02:01:14 pm »

Why? Because people don't know that all communists aren't bad unless you tell them?

Communism or Fascism, it all amounts to people exploiting people in a different way.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2014, 03:29:24 pm »

I really need to make an aqua game.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile