Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Silly dwarf  (Read 1055 times)

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Silly dwarf
« on: August 05, 2013, 02:33:34 pm »

On my embark, the perimeter of the map has been channeled so that any goblins that come to visit first have to take a tour of the grinder array. However, in one corner of the map a river cuts though and I decided to treat the river as part of my perimeter as regards channeling. So the little bit of land between the river and the corner is inaccessible to all and sundry... or so I thought ....

Recently did a happiness check using Dwarf Therapist and looked in at unhappiest dwarf. Then zoomed in on said unfortunate soul. And saw that she was on the above mentioned corner of land. That's inaccessible to all. Looked at her recent history and saw indications that she had been in the fortress proper at some point in her past because of the meal she ate in the dinning hall.... But recently she's been having to live on vermin because she can't get back to the fort. I'm currently engaged in a rescue mission building a bridge across the river so she can get back home...

But ... The real question .... HOW IN THE NAME OF ARMOK DID SHE GET TO THAT SIDE OF THE RIVER?!?!?!?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Silly dwarf
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 02:43:20 pm »

All too clever dodging into water and swimming the wrong way. It's happened to me, they're not... Very smart about getting home.

Was there some dwarves out last time or two invaders were around?

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 03:15:41 pm »

The better question is, if the dwarf was stupid enough to get stuck, why are you rescuing them

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 03:19:52 pm »

She's a ranger (aka. 'I get beat on by wild life....') The rescue was successful and I think I should turn on the central stairwell waterfall for the happy thoughts it generates. Been a year or so since the most recent siege. And that was weathered without any causalities on the part of the dwarves. Gotta love goblin grinders. Thinking on making a grid of 3 of 'em on each edge of the map, but have other projects working at the moment such as getting magma to the surface for weaponization. (the forges and smelters are doing fine 120 Z levels below the surface. But if you want some magma landmines for building destroyers, you gotta get the magma to the surface. Debating on how I'm gonna penetrate the aquifer for the pump stack. Can either do the conventional dig from below and build walls to keep out the water or possibly since I do have access, dig staircases over the entire area the pumps would need to be plus a 1 tile border, build the aquifer level pumps, clear out the area and fire up the pump stack. I think that should nicely encase the pumps in question in obsidian and should be easier to manage than the wall building.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 06:50:13 pm »

You think that's bad. Wait til you get one of the lovely "dodged into a wall and, having nowhere else to go, decided to dodge on TOP of the wall." Happened to me once. I got a message about a missing dwarf and, after searching for like twenty minutes, found her corpse on top of my gatehouse. There hadn't been any ramps or stairs to access that for three years prior to that event.

I was, needless to say, baffled. It was kind of sad too, she dehydrated. And the gatehouse was mere feet away from a river. She died looking down longingly at the cool, clear, refreshing water that she couldn't get to considering she had only temporarily learned to fly and subsequently forgotten.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 07:05:30 pm »

I am suddenly reminded of the "did you ride the goose!?" Comment in the "dear Urist" thread.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 07:11:17 pm by wierd »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 11:24:14 pm »

This happens a lot and it often can't be explained by dodging. I think that there's some kind of difficult to replicate glitch involving construction or mining.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 06:32:21 am »

I've lost several well trained militia during the first year or two after they decide to dodge onto the temporary wildlife wall I usually setup. Always annoying. It can happen with animals too if they start biting each other.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 08:37:53 am »

Birds sometimes CAN move dwarves to places they couldn't get by themselves. Some position-swapping glitch.
I now always build a ramp near every wall. Helps getting flying pets down as well. Or their arrow-pierced corpses.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 08:45:48 am »

Birds sometimes CAN move dwarves to places they couldn't get by themselves. Some position-swapping glitch.
I now always build a ramp near every wall. Helps getting flying pets down as well. Or their arrow-pierced corpses.
But can it be weaponized!?! Or !!Weaponized!!?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 08:47:50 am »

This happens a lot and it often can't be explained by dodging. I think that there's some kind of difficult to replicate glitch involving construction or mining.

It does happens from time to time with dodging, but I mostly see it with flying creatures, it might be position swapping dodging like someone mentioned. It's still pretty weird and gets me to put ramp anywhere my dwarves might teleport to.

Sure, just send some undesirable noble or mayor after birds :D

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 12:48:09 pm »

One-tile-wide pathway into the fort with one-tile walls on either side. Pasture flying war animals (will have to be modded in of course) along the tops of the walls, protected from outside archer fire by more walls -- otherwise the first marksgoblin squad to show up will destroy your whole trap -- and with access locked off by bridges or something. When goblins start running down the hall, the geese will jump down to attack them, possibly place-switching with some and leaving them stranded on top of the walls until you have time to deal with them at your convenience.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.