Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can I stuff a dwarf in a cage?  (Read 3514 times)

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
Re: Can I stuff a dwarf in a cage?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 02:05:06 pm »

Couldn't you just trap her in an ordinary cage, build the artifact cage in the desired location, and then assign her to the artifact cage afterwards?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 02:08:21 pm »

Couldn't you just trap her in an ordinary cage, build the artifact cage in the desired location, and then assign her to the artifact cage afterwards?

Dwarves aren't assignable, just unassignable from the cage, that I've found.

Though now I wonder about using justice system for it?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 03:12:32 pm »

Since you can build the artifact trap as furniture, and then allocate a room, maybe.

However, certain kinds of cages won't get the (j) enabler. Wood for instance, can't be used for justice, nor can a glass terarium.

Personally, I LOVE "bottled goblins", but to each their own.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 03:15:10 pm »

The problem with that is that her sentence would eventually be up and someone would let her out. Unless you wall her in, but then what's the point of the artifact cage?

apparently artifact cages cannot be used in traps  >:(
Huh. I've never noticed that before. I usually just build any artifact cage I get and use it as a super-valuable zoo. You might have discovered a bug.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 03:19:27 pm »

The problem with that is that her sentence would eventually be up and someone would let her out. Unless you wall her in, but then what's the point of the artifact cage?

Huh. I've never noticed that before. I usually just build any artifact cage I get and use it as a super-valuable zoo. You might have discovered a bug.

I thought I've had dwarves not get let out if I undesignate the cage that was used for justice. It's been a while for me, though! And I imagine the artifact exclusion from cage trap is intentional since it'd have to be coded that way, probably in expectation that player would want to use it for decoration.

Juxtap0se

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 05:17:15 pm »

well perhaps we have opportunity to explore here. The base material for the artifact cage is glass. From what I've read, only metal cages can be used for jail (i'm still very new to this game and haven't set any justice up yet in any fort). For any cage trap I've tried, my common glass cages can be used, as well as any wooden ones I have, both in the spot I want and also in miscellaneous spots. The artifact cage cannot be used in any of the same trap spots the other cages work. I can set it up as a stand-alone cage for display. This leads me to believe the artifact cannot be used in any cage trap.
If this is a bug, I understand (although I did have my heart set on a leech in a gilded cage). If this is an undiscovered bug I kinda feel it is my duty to find how it works. Any thoughts/suggestions? Please keep in mind I'm pretty inexperienced at this game.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three.
Elayne Boosler

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels breath: Seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 05:51:06 pm »

I guess you could try to buy a hopefully equally awesome cage from a caravan. It wouldn't be an artifact, but from how things look, I doubt you'll ever get her into the one you originally intended. Artifacts are just meant to exist, not be used.
"Anything man can imagine is a possibility in reality."
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 06:13:07 am »

Related due to vampires/eventual use of the caged dwarf.

I recently had the idea of making a vampire a dedicated undertaker in the fort. I'm just not sure if it's possible to deliver dwarf corpses via minecarts (I seem to recall that they do gather them in corpse stockpiles at least if there aren't any tombs assigned to that dwarf, or empty built coffins). Drop/wall in the vampire in an area with unmined stone, along with a pick and a bed and whatever other furniture you feel like. Might also be a good idea either to give him a small clothing supply or outfit him in leather armor (armor, leggings, high boots). Corpses are delivered via non-pathable minecart route (eg. 1-tile "open space" gap in the track), or dumped in from above (at least manual dumping should definitely work). Have it mine out the catacombs for the burial, and dump in coffins (or have the vampire make the coffins using the stone he mines out) for it to build. The vampire could also smooth out and eventually engrave the catacombs if you want. Of course noble tombs etc. could still be built elsewhere if you want dwarves to be able to admire them.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 06:17:06 am »

I recently had the idea of making a vampire a dedicated undertaker in the fort. I'm just not sure if it's possible to deliver dwarf corpses via minecarts (I seem to recall that they do gather them in corpse stockpiles at least if there aren't any tombs assigned to that dwarf, or empty built coffins). Drop/wall in the vampire in an area with unmined stone, along with a pick and a bed and whatever other furniture you feel like. Might also be a good idea either to give him a small clothing supply or outfit him in leather armor (armor, leggings, high boots). Corpses are delivered via non-pathable minecart route (eg. 1-tile "open space" gap in the track), or dumped in from above (at least manual dumping should definitely work). Have it mine out the catacombs for the burial, and dump in coffins (or have the vampire make the coffins using the stone he mines out) for it to build. The vampire could also smooth out and eventually engrave the catacombs if you want. Of course noble tombs etc. could still be built elsewhere if you want dwarves to be able to admire them.

Doable, I know dwarves will cartdump their own corpses, I've done it accidentally. I'd recommend using minecart dumping instead of trying to jump the cart through, mostly because it's easier and have less time for them to rot. And yes, leather armor outfit would suit them fine for non-decaying clothings.

Sounds like pretty good idea for self-maintanting catacombs :D

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 06:36:18 am »

Doable, I know dwarves will cartdump their own corpses, I've done it accidentally. I'd recommend using minecart dumping instead of trying to jump the cart through, mostly because it's easier and have less time for them to rot. And yes, leather armor outfit would suit them fine for non-decaying clothings.

From what I remember, push orders and a track as follows (S for stop, = tracks, . open space) work just fine:
S=.=S

That really is all the track/route you need, I think. Both stops highest friction, or at least high enough to stop a pushed cart, catacomb stop dumps in some direction (or not, since I guess corpses don't give off miasma while in a minecart?... you'd have to set unload orders in that case, though). Loading stop needs load orders from a (dwarf) corpse stockpile, obviously.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 06:40:16 am »

From what I remember, push orders and a track as follows (S for stop, = tracks, . open space) work just fine:
S=.=S

That really is all the track/route you need, I think. Both stops highest friction, or at least high enough to stop a pushed cart, catacomb stop dumps in some direction (or not, since I guess corpses don't give off miasma while in a minecart?... you'd have to set unload orders in that case, though). Loading stop needs load orders from a (dwarf) corpse stockpile, obviously.

Corpses does gives off miasma in minecart, and they still rots, which gives unhappiness hit, which's why I suggest using dump instead of cart jumping. Not that it won't work, but it's not the best method. I uses cart jumps for pretty much any isolated spaces where I can expect things to be barreled or doesn't rots.

Required Information

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 08:22:43 am »

Build 2x2 room with an office, a bed and a statue. Carve fortifications, designate statue garden from inside
Pages: 1 [2]