Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Modern Social Skills Questions  (Read 3258 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Modern Social Skills Questions
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 08:31:40 am »

Yes, I guess this has become less about social skills questions a more a debate about modern communication. I read these replies this morning before going to work, and on the way there I had a big realization. I'm right on the line of a generational gap, and since communication has changed so dramatically so quickly, communication between the two generations has degraded to the point where they live in separate internal universes. The rules of what is normal and what is acceptable are not just different, as they are between any 2 generations. It's so different as to be nearly impossible to reconcile.

I was born in 1985 and I am, by age, part of the generation "Y" (one of its older members). However, as a child, I never associated with other children. My friends were always far older than me - usually teachers and other adults - and their culture is the one I grew up feeling was my own.

So here's the older generation. Generation X, I guess, and what I'm trying to describe goes even deeper for the Boomers and older folks. All of these people grew up at a time when your personal information was YOURS. It wasn't simply that no one was allowed to take it without asking you, or that it was impossible to "research" someone the way you can easily do with a Google search these days. It was also that you didn't WANT to give out that information. What you thought, how you felt, what your opinions were, what you did in your spare time, these things were all YOURS. You could choose to share them with whomever you wished, or you could choose to keep it to yourself. If you wanted to get to know someone, you had to EARN that from them somehow. You had to talk to them, and persuade them to trust you enough to open up to them (which meant you had to learn some serious social skills and learn to deal with anxiety and other issues that only exist in face-to-face contact). Personal relationships were valuable and something to be proud of. It was worth writing a letter and paying to put a stamp on it to keep in touch with a friend who had moved away. Saying someone was your friend always MEANT something, something deep that everyone understood.

Fast forward to the younger part of generation Y, starting with those who are in college now. These kids mostly grew up with the internet. By the time they were teenagers, Facebook was already pretty ubiquitous. There was never any of this feeling of your personal information being sacred and treasured. There was a web site sitting right there, something everyone else was already using, asking you what you were doing or thinking or feeling right that second. You typed it in, with a guaranteed audience, and you got your first Like. It was a good feeling. That's the standard that these people have grown up with. You get a Facebook account and you enter every possible detail of personal information, because that's how your new friends will find you. That's how people will get to know you. Most people don't even stop to think about why they're entering the list of every movie they've ever seen and whether they thought it was good. It's just what you do. It's what everyone does. It's fun to go to other people's pages and see what movies they like. You can find new friends that way, by common interests. And why *wouldn't* you want everyone to be able to know everything about you? The idea has never really been suggested to most of them that there should be any reason to keep your personal information to yourself, and share it with only a select few. They never went through life having to work to get to know someone, and knowing how it feels to succeed and develop a friendship the hard way.

As I said, I'm on the line. When I was a kid, there was no personal internet. I grew up and learned my social skills during a time when if you wanted to know someone, you had to walk up to their face and get to know them. It was difficult, especially for me (being autistic and undiagnosed), but when I succeeded, that was something to be proud of. I had three friends in high school. Three. Those relationships were significant. Those people were real. They were there, standing in front of me, asking to copy my homework, or trying to persuade me to join the marching band, or passing notes in class, or going hiking in the woods and climbing trees, or having sleepovers. If I wanted to talk to them and they weren't there, I had to stand in the kitchen where everyone in the house could hear me, call their house, and hope that they were home to answer. Communication was a valuable commodity, and so communicating was a significant act, one that made a tangible difference in my life every time I did it. Secrets were even more valuable, because there was no readily available way to transmit them without meeting up behind a tree and making sure no one was listening. Being entrusted with a secret felt like being entrusted with someone's very life.

That feeling has never left me. It's what I grew up with. I can say with absolute conviction that over the course of my entire life, comparing all the friendships I've ever had, including the real-life ones with people who don't use the internet much as well as the online ones with people with all the same interests as me, the real-life ones are always more fulfilling by a landslide. Even if you share every detail of your life with someone you met online, discuss and debate everything, even talk each other out of suicide when you're depressed, and even if you meet each other in real life and become meatspace friends, it's never even remotely the same.

Facebook came out when I was in university. I heard about it and laughed at the idea. You sign up for a web site, type in all your personal information, and people can just look at it and know all about you, without even ever talking to you? RIDICULOUS! It sounded like some kind of bad joke. But inevitably, a few people talked me into giving it a try. They pointed out that you could find study partners on it, and join university groups you might otherwise not know about (keeping in mind that it was college-only at the time). They promised me that it was really private. You had to have a uni email address to sign up, and no one could look at your profile without your permission. I gave in.

Fast forward to a few months ago when I realized with horror that the things I had posted back in those private university days had become automatically public when Facebook switched over to being a public site.

I want to go back to having control over my personal information. I want to go back to that part of my life where being friends with someone and getting to know them was a significant thing. I can't do that as long as I'm on Facebook, because it has become impossible.

So I see the responses to what I've written on here, and they make a lot of sense when I remember that according to the age poll that was popular recently, most of the people on this site are teenagers. Most of you guys grew up with it being completely normal to share your personal information with everyone. When I say I don't want Facebook tracking my location, don't want people tagging me in photos, etc, you can't understand why I would be so against it. It's not like anything BAD is being done with that information.

Several of you have told me that it's relatively simple to cull my friends list and change some settings so I get minimum annoyance. But that in itself is a lot of work, especially when you've had an account on there since 2006 and things have piled up pretty badly. And what is not communicating very well here seems to be that I don't think I should HAVE to do any work to keep my information to myself and to keep my annoyance down. That information is mine, by birthright, by default. My time is valuable. My friendship is valuable. I want it to be true again that if someone says they know all about me, it means they've earned my trust enough (or at least done enough real-life stalking) to learn about me. I'm happier when I have control over my information. That info is my life. It's me. If someone wants it, they should have to ask. I want it all to really MEAN something again. And that is still possible - as long as I'm not on Facebook.

I remember as a kid, adults would write books and films depicting dystopian futures where everyone was being tracked all the time. Everyone had to register, their location always tracked, their activities always monitored. That was a serious horror theme back then. But what no one ever stopped to consider was that when an entire generation grows up with those things being normal, they don't have any problem with it. It stops being a horror show and starts being mundane reality.

And before anyone gets upset and yells at me, I'm well aware that not everyone is one extreme or the other. My mother uses Facebook quite a lot. My grandparents have finally started using it, though they only use it to send messages to grandkids and look at  pictures, and they post their own long, ranty laments about what the world is coming to. Plenty of young people really do only use Facebook to keep in touch with a few people. But it is definitely the exception rather than the rule, and its getting harder and harder to do. A huge paradigm shift has occurred. It is now not only acceptable, but normal and expected that personal information is public. People who have grown up with that generally don't seem to have a problem with it. People who didn't, generally do.

And yes, I think that Facebook can be a useful tool, but in order to use it these days you have to sacrifice a lot of control and do a lot of extra work to keep it from being a chore. I'm just not willing anymore.

I'm in the genearational gap, but I can't bridge it. All I can do is choose my side. I'm going with the side that's proven to give me better life satisfaction and more happiness.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 11:54:51 am »

I'm 23.  I have lots and lots of secrets that I don't share on Facebook.  Or on the internet.  Or in general.  Just like everyone else I know.

I also write and stamp hand-written letters, as a lot of people my age I know do.  We're even from an area that experienced a serious tech boom over the past 20 years, not the country or something.  I'm not trying to say "there's an exception!  You're wrong!"  I'm trying to say that I really don't think that what you're suggesting is even close to the rule.

People are becoming more comfortable with sharing some things, things that they would have always shared right off the bat if it had been safe.  Back in the day, Christians were usually pretty open with letting you know they were Christian; heterosexuals were pretty happy to inform you that they were heterosexual.  The real difference is in traditionally dominated groups.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2013, 02:00:17 pm »

I'm going with the side that's proven to give me better life satisfaction and more happiness.

That's the best anyone can do.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

whatever1works

• Bay Watcher
  • *Flips table*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2013, 05:01:38 am »

Hey! I'm an expat too, and i know what you mean about facebook. Before i moved oversea's i used to use it regularly, then I moved to China, it's blocked there, so at first i was soo frustrated and used to complain about it. Eventually i got used to not using it (as well as youtube; that was tough), and i when i found out about proxy's and the such.. it was too late, i really couldn't give a dam about it, i'd lost my habit. I've tried 'getting back into it' since moving out of China, but its.. just.. so depressing, everything about it feels so pointless, and i kinda feel lost as to what to do with it. I don't use it to keep in contact with my friends in China because they don't have it, we just email every now and then. My friends joke about me because i don't use it, but i'm like whatever. The thing that gets me the most is that i feel like i've changed so much since going overseas, so much experience and things that i've learned, and when i go on facebook, the same people are still talking about the same stupid irrelevent things; nothings changed back home. It just overwhelms me with a sense of futility.
-anyway good luck in the future!
"Do you want some fish balls?", "No thanks I'll have a steak please"

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2013, 07:46:17 am »

If it's worth anything I rarely feel satisfied and am not particularly happy and I don't use Facebook. So it's not particularly fair to blame it entirely for people being fucked up.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2013, 08:58:58 am »

Out of the people in my year at school, I think I have the third least FB friends. Literally everyone has a facebook page, and so it's incredibly handy for keeping in touch - that said, i have 25 'friends' on it, and they are all actual friends. And i still never put anything private on there. I basically only use it as a free means to text, and then rarely, as i never really got the hang of the whole conversation thing. ironically, what you could glean from my facebook page is less than you could from this post. I still don't get the attraction in facebook, and most of my closest friends don't.
 The thing is, that the part of my generation that uses facebook as you describe is the part that is in the public eye. hence most people joining the social community see this, and assume that's how it's done. And this self perpetuates. Which leaves a tiny group of us who are effectively isolated, because people no longer try to make friends in the tangible way often.
 (I've now completely forgotten the rest of my point. Damnit :/ )
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2013, 11:23:31 am »

I don't really want to keep responding to this thread because I don't want to argue with people about facebook. People have their opinions and they can keep them how they are, that's fine. My goal was never really to persuade everyone that facebook is bad, just to express my own opinions and reasons for feeling the way I do.

Graknorke, I never said facebook was the sole cause of all the unhappiness in the world. just a major cause, for a particular group of people.

I have always been confused by this, actually. Perhaps I can sneak one more "modern social skills" question into this thread: why is it that when I make an assertion, especially in written form, which I think is clearly stated - "Scientific studies have proven that all this modern communications technology is causing a decline in social skills and increase in social anxiety", for example - many people reading it end up interpreting it as an absolute statement, like "Facebook is the sole cause of all the unhappiness in young people today"? At what point did I say it was "entirely" to blame? This happens to me all the time, mostly on the internet but occasionally even in real life. Make a general statement and people will read into it a way to be offended, to feel they are being accused of something, even when no accusation was made? This is a serious question. I have never understood it. Maybe some of you can enlighten me.

sjm9876, I suppose it's true that it's not the entire generation, just the part I see most often. I made my statements with moderate confidence because they are based on my real-life experience, particularly with my younger sisters. That's 3 young women who I have seen grow up and change as more technology is introduced. The youngest is borderline neglectful to her 2 children because she obsessively updates her Facebook status with complaints about how much laundry she has to do and accusations that family members are not supportive enough because they don't "like" her statuses and pictures often enough, and she is cutting them off from seeing the kids until they show more support. She's 21.

Whenever I explain my opinions and arguments to someone older than me, they generally agree with me. When I explain them to someone younger, I am usually met with resentment, anger, and strong resistance. People seem to take what I say as a direct accusation towards the individual reading it, which is not at all what I meant. these are general observations based on real-life situations. I'm not a believer in absolutes and of course I don't believe that every single young person in the world is spending every moment of their lives on facebook.

I still firmly believe that I experienced a large part of culture growing up that no longer exists for young people, and that has shaped the way I see things like facebook and the attitudes of teenagers these days. The value of privacy has been diminished. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it's definitely happening.

I really do believe that while not everyone behaves in the way I described, there has been a massive paradigm shift in the way communication works, and in the values instilled in people as they are growing up. And I still believe that, by and large, it will lead to big problems in the future as meatspace social skills and relationships decline. I have seen it firsthand. Another story about my youngest sister: I was visiting my mother once, sitting with her in the kitchen chatting, and she had facebook open on her computer. she got a message from my sister (17 at the time) who was in her bedroom: Mom, I'm pregnant. This is a real thing that happens all the time now. People get break-up text messages. People get fired from their jobs by email. It's less and less socially necessary to do certain things face-to-face, and so the skill of doing so is being lost.

Equally, I believe that there's not a damned thing I can do about it. I think things might be better if Facebook didn't exist, but it does exist and it's not about to stop. All I can do is remove myself from it and at least be a little bit happier with my own life.

If you guys want to keep debating facebook, go ahead, but I will probably duck out of the conversation now.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2013, 04:11:42 pm »

I have always been confused by this, actually. Perhaps I can sneak one more "modern social skills" question into this thread: why is it that when I make an assertion, especially in written form, which I think is clearly stated - "Scientific studies have proven that all this modern communications technology is causing a decline in social skills and increase in social anxiety", for example - many people reading it end up interpreting it as an absolute statement, like "Facebook is the sole cause of all the unhappiness in young people today"? At what point did I say it was "entirely" to blame? This happens to me all the time, mostly on the internet but occasionally even in real life. Make a general statement and people will read into it a way to be offended, to feel they are being accused of something, even when no accusation was made? This is a serious question. I have never understood it. Maybe some of you can enlighten me.

I love this bit from Cracked.com that I think really sums up why people react like that.

"After all, if you had a choice between reading a sentence in such a way that's personally insulting or believing there was no insult directed at you, who would choose to be offended? Well, the answer is just about everyone."

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-things-you-learn-quickly-about-internet-hate/

Take, for example, this thing that you just wrote:

Whenever I explain my opinions and arguments to someone older than me, they generally agree with me. When I explain them to someone younger, I am usually met with resentment, anger, and strong resistance.

I don't know how old you are and don't care to check your profile. But that sort of generalization makes people feel resentment. Even if it's not a hostile or demeaning one, the way you phrased it (compare/contrast between a negative trait you've seen a lot in one group and a positive trait you've seen a lot in another) is pretty much asking for someone to come in and say, "HEY! I'm [maybe] younger than you! And I don't feel resentment for you at all! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Like you said, those are general observations based on real-life observations. They're true for you, but the way you broadcast them is going to make someone come in and feel riled up because those generalizations either aren't true for them or they feel like you're making a negative generalization about a group they mentally/emotionally are a 'part of,' even if it's just an age group.

It's exactly the same with Graknorke's knee-jerk reaction. He likely saw you heaping hatred on Facebook and bemoaning the negative sides of the medium and chose to interpret it as "wow, this person believes Facebook is the root of all social inhibition!" Or some similar thought.

If I hadn't read your whole essay, I would probably skim it and think the same thing. Your entire writing style reeks of a preacher or extremist or conspiracy theorist or some other fringe character. I agree with a lot of your points and don't believe that's true, but people tend to react very hostilely to that sort of writing.

If your goal is to not have people be offended at you for invalid reasons on the Internet, don't go on the Internet. If your goal is to have less people offended at you on the Internet for invalid reasons then... write differently, maybe? I don't know. I don't really care how many people I offend because I offend people all the time. Like you said, those same people also lend me money when I'm broke and play laser tag with me.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2013, 06:22:02 pm »

See that's the thing... she never pointed a finger at anyone or mentioned anything about anyone in particular. It was just a big, long statement of opinion based on subjective personal experience. It looks more to me like people were seeking out a reason to be offended, and the only way to avoid that would be to tread carefully around anyone who doesn't share your exact beliefs/life experience (that'd be everyone). From my perspective, most of my... eh... "life education" is a good term, comes from being challenged and working out the basis of someone else's views. Most people have valid points, at least for them, and their difference doesn't threaten me. That's not really a vibe I get anymore, even on Bay12. That was the point I was getting at with the Fry quote earlier... people seem quick to take personal offense when someone just says something they disagree with, whether it's directed at anyone in particular or just a statement.

Beliefs of any kind should be examined, challenged, and either changed or made stronger through re-examination. It's hard to do that when you're offended that people don't automatically agree with everything you say just because you said it. +1likes/thumbsup/reddit/subscribed/tweeted/retweeted/approved.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2013, 07:47:39 pm »

I partially blame the media for this. They need to run with anything that causes strong emotions, usually negative ones, to generate attention, clicks and revenue. This is why you usually read headlines like "X is the worst thing ever, likely to cause downfall of humanity" instead of "X is slightly problematic, but will probably not concern you". In a way we are now conditioned to react strongly to everything we read or hear in the news and I think this has bled through to internet conversations in general, probably because we see the written word as more important and less dismissable than something that somebody just says. Bay12 is usually not like that, but a huge part of the internet is just an outrage machine. "You don't like X? HATER!!!"  ;)
Also people who take part in online debates are probably more opinionated than people who don't, and thus more likely to react emotionally and be offended.
I can't find it now, but a while ago I read on slate.com that their users mostly only read the headlines or the first paragraph of an article. That's probably the same kind of low attention span that leads to posts like "I didn't read the last 20 pages, but OP is completely wrong".

Whenever I explain my opinions and arguments to someone older than me, they generally agree with me. When I explain them to someone younger, I am usually met with resentment, anger, and strong resistance.
I'm older than you and I tend to agree with most of what you said. It is probably pointless though to try to debate that with teenagers who never experienced a reality before modern media. To them it must seem like grumpy old people complaining about the most normal thing in the world, like cars or electricity or something.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2013, 10:29:52 pm »

How do you know when a party or other event is a "dressy" kind of event? How do you find out how you are expected to dress when it's not explicitly stated in the description?

Asking is always cool, but really the place is your best guess. Who owns it, what kind of people they are, ect... also what kind of party is a good indicator. When people actually like, make a party notice, it's usually better to dress up a notch or two. No holes in your clothes, something other than your everyday tshirt, clean shoes ect...

How the hell do you know that before you get there?

Part of it too is your mentality. There's slightly undressed, and I feel like that's not worth apologizing over. I down dress everywhere and people expect that out of me.

Seriously under-dressed though? A decently planned party will state that. If it doesn't, chances are you can rely on your knowledge of where it's going to be/who is holding it to inform you. Party being held at a public place? Dress up. Party being held at a public restaurant? Use the restaurant as your measuring stick. Bar? Dress down. Restaurant? Dress up.

Does everyone in the universe now spend all their lives on Facebook, checking every detail of everything that happens on there? Is this genuinely expected of everyone? Was I actually in the wrong here, or are my friends being unreasonable? Should I be making announcements on Facebook just to alert people of the fact that I don't use Facebook very often, and if they want me to know something, they have to actually tell me?

First off, no, everyone does not use Facebook to manage their social lives.

Second, it really comes down to why you came to know these people and what the context of your acquaintance is. For the longest time, I told people "do not text me, because I won't get it. You want to talk? Call me." I even went so far as to disable texting on my newest phone. Result? I didn't hear from a lot of people anymore. Which really underlines who wanted my company and who didn't. Facebook is like that to me. I've friend a lot of people I know from high school, have seen occasionally at parties, or are friends with their friends. I may even have some of their phone numbers. Those are acquaintances. And so I only pay attention to what they're saying on Facebook or what they're doing if I feel like it.

So yeah. I've made it a point to make my close friends contact me in ways other than Facebook. If they weren't interested in doing so, they're acquaintances, not friends. That's my line of demarcation.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2013, 02:37:44 am »

Wow, thanks for all the thoughtful answers, friends. I love Cracked. People can dismiss it as a humor site as much as they like, but I have learned an incredible amount of social skills and made many tangible improvements to my life thanks to David Wong's articles and others like them.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-youre-accidentally-making-everyone-hate-you/
http://www.cracked.com/article_15231_7-reasons-21st-century-making-you-miserable.html

In fact, his articles are one of the primary influences behind my realization that Facebook was making my life less happy and damaging the lives of those around me, and deciding to get away from it. If my writing style in my little rants sounds "preachy" (which is a big surprise to me) it's probably because it's influenced by those articles. They are looking for more writers right now - maybe I should do one on "6 reasons to quit using facebook" : )

I will never understand how people act on the internet, I suppose because I have different reactions than normal people (same as in meatspace). When I see something I disagree with, I do have a short initial burst of "that's not right!" like all humans do, but it's always closely followed by "Well, but maybe it is, so I'd better pay attention to their argument." When I discover something I've been wrong about all this time, I don't get angry or resentful, I'm just relieved that I won't be wrong about it anymore. That's why, when I present my own arguments on something, I'm always careful to back everything up with explanations and evidence, so people will see that I really have something of use to contribute and I'm not just giving knee-jerk reactions. And a big thing I notice when people react with anger to things I write is that they almost universally never respond to my support and evidence. They completely skip over addressing my reasons why I believe what I believe, and go straight to the "you're WRONG and totally UNFAIR to say [extreme version of thing I said, which I didn't actually say]."

Do they still have debate clubs in school these days? I think it should be mandatory for all kids to go through some kind of debate-learning process in school. I certainly had to do it when I was a kid. You're GIVEN your side in an argument, whether you believe it or not, and you have to argue for it no matter what. You have to respond to everything the other side says, considering their support and evidence and finding a way to disprove it, and you have to provide your own support and evidence, and it can never be anything personal, only objective facts and information. In this process I learned that, first of all, you really can always argue both sides of an argument. No matter how firmly you believe one side is true, you have to recognize that there will always be reasons why the opposition believes what they do - otherwise no one would believe it. You learn to respect varying viewpoints. Second, and maybe more importantly these days, you had to learn to analyze all sides of an argument and come up with a response for all of it. You couldn't just ignore one of the arguments from the other side, or you'd lose points. And you had to support your own arguments with evidence. You can't just say "your point isn't true for me and therefore it isn't true for anyone and you're completely wrong and you're probably a judgmental simpleton for saying it in the first place." You've just lost the debate.

And finally, when debating, you learn to detach yourself from the argument. You might not even agree with your side, but you have to argue it anyway. It's an exercise in logic and rhetoric. Arguments do not have to be about you, personally. You learn to see an argument as just a discussion of opinions and facts rather than personal attacks. If someone disagrees with you, it's not about you as a person - they're just disagreeing with the points you're making. I think that is missing more and more these days. I don't know if it's because it's being taken out of schools, because people don't have to do it so much in real life, because the internet and media encourage extremism, or what. But it's definitely going away, and I don't see that being a positive thing for anyone.

I'm certainly glad that I don't have to feel offended every time someone says something I disagree with. That must be exhausting.

EDIT:

Ah, now I'm re-reading David Wong (and similar) articles... I always read them and go "oh holy shit, I never realized that / never thought of it that way before!" And then I change my attitudes and behaviors a little bit and try to get some tangible benefit in my life from them. But I always see comments from angry people who attack the author as a person and ignore his message because it suggests that they might have to change something about themselves.

Here's a few of my favorites, if anyone is interested:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/
http://www.cracked.com/article_18544_how-the-karate-kid-ruined-modern-world.html
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-emotions-invented-by-internet/

Actually, these ones are directly related to the current discussion:
http://www.cracked.com/article_19109_6-things-our-kids-just-plain-wont-get.html
http://www.cracked.com/article_18861_5-internet-life-lessons-parents-need-to-start-teaching-kids.html
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-obnoxious-personality-flaws-that-internet-makes-worse/
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-anger-management-tips-internet-could-really-use/
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:51:47 am by Sappho »

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2013, 04:01:31 am »

sjm9876...
Apologies, I was in no way intending to belittle your point. Honestly, I agree with it to a major degree, I just know a large number of people who make blanket statements genuinely believing it applies to everyone, and have been treated like absolute crap because of assumptions that simply aren't true, thus leading to a touch of defensiveness whenever they aren't directly acknowledged.

FAKEEDIT: Rereading this it seems rather aggressive, but it isn't intended to be. This is a genuine apology, I just can't seem to phrase it any better.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2013, 05:53:20 am »

I have one pretty big reason why I tend to paint things people say as extreme; and it's because I am awful at having opinions. Or more aptly, I am awful at filtering out valid and not-valid opinions. I could be listening to an argument between two people, hear Person 1 make a point and think "Yeah that guy's totally right the other guy's a moron", and then hear Person 2 make a point and think "Yeah that guy's totally right and the other guy's a moron". This is probably related to the fact that I had basically no social interaction outside of places I have to be in literally ever. Until I was 8 or so I lived in a place where there was so much crime that letting a child out of the house unguarded would be fucking stupid, and after that I never really got used to making the effort to go out to places.
I am pretty socially incompetent and only function in society at all because I pass it off as aggressive overconfidence.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2013, 12:58:08 pm »

I have one pretty big reason why I tend to paint things people say as extreme; and it's because I am awful at having opinions. Or more aptly, I am awful at filtering out valid and not-valid opinions. I could be listening to an argument between two people, hear Person 1 make a point and think "Yeah that guy's totally right the other guy's a moron", and then hear Person 2 make a point and think "Yeah that guy's totally right and the other guy's a moron". This is probably related to the fact that I had basically no social interaction outside of places I have to be in literally ever. Until I was 8 or so I lived in a place where there was so much crime that letting a child out of the house unguarded would be fucking stupid, and after that I never really got used to making the effort to go out to places.
I am pretty socially incompetent and only function in society at all because I pass it off as aggressive overconfidence.

. . . Wow, it's like we're the same person.  Howdy, bro!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4