Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealing With The Aftermath of A Battle  (Read 1047 times)

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
Dealing With The Aftermath of A Battle
« on: August 05, 2013, 02:05:36 am »

I had a siege a while ago, along with a Mega Beast and 3 ambushes all within 30 minutes of each other. I lost almost all of my livestock (which I honestly don't care much about) but did not lose a single dwarf. There is a Giant Golden Racoon carcass, about 60 goblin corpses and about 40 of their mounts are dead to. How do you all deal with the aftermath like that? Just let it rot? I have OCD so I kind of want to clean it all up. I have a population of about 320 so I have plenty of dwarfs to do the work. Any suggestions?
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing With The Aftermath of A Battle
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 02:12:48 am »

Butcher all the dead invader mount or wild animals corpses. Smash or magma the sentient invader and tame animal corpses. Dump the rest of stuff in battlefield somewhere inside to be processed at reasonable pace once everything's inside.

At least that's how I does it, even with less than half as much dwarves. The corpses'll rot before you're done cleaning up unless you focuses on large scale butchering and tanning first, so I don't worry too much about it. If you feels strained for time or manpower, then leave the corpses outside and grab everything metallic to melt down first and work your way down, invader corpses, tame corpses and foreign clothings last.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 02:48:30 am »

It's basically impossible to clean up sieges shortly after. It takes my dwarves almost one year to haul away all the goblin crap and some stuff lies around for ages.

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 03:30:52 am »

Hm. Thanks for the input. I'm actually thinking about installing/creating/inventing a minecart system that deals with it. I think I have a decent structure of a schematic in my head right now... I will have a track system in a tunnel (covered) that runs to the area near the outside of my gate, where there is a -1 Z level pit covered by a hatch linked to a lever in my control room. I can send a cart there, then tell the dwarves to dump as much stuff in the cart as possible that I want gone. Once I feel it is ready to go, I will send it off towards a stop right in front of a downward hill into the firey depths below. I then get a dwarf to push the wooden cart down the ramp, and everything in it, along with the cart, is incinerated. I then use a basic cart re-loader to pump another cart onto the track and prepare it to load up on more siege junk to destroy. I will have a completely different track system that simply runs a cart back and forth getting and dumping the things I like near the smithy area, the clothier shops, or the food production area. Should work fine, as long as no dwarfs decide to stand in front of a speeding cart full of dead goblins and their rotted mounts...
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 05:26:29 am »

I came up a with a simple system for my own fort which can save a ton of time. When you deconstruct a wall, you may have noticed that a bunch of items teleport to the spot where the deconstructer was standing. In fact, every item in that 16x16 region will teleport to that spot. The trick is to make a dwarf deconstruct a wall while standing under an atom smasher. You can try something like this:

BBO
OXO
OOO

O = Wall
X = Wall to be deconstructed.
BB = bridge, raises to the left or right. For best results, raise before deconstructing wall.

Of course, you'll probably need to build several of these, depending on the size and shape of your killing zone.

grody311

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 07:13:14 am »

How do you possibly manage 320 dwarfs?  I recently hit the 200 mark the other day and was impressed with myself, but, like, 120 were in the military so it was really only 80 to manage.

As for the siege aftermath, I think there's a proven way to clean it up.

http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/Update%201-18/

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 07:52:25 am »

d, b, h

Out of sight, out of mind. ;)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 10:52:25 pm »

I came up a with a simple system for my own fort which can save a ton of time. When you deconstruct a wall, you may have noticed that a bunch of items teleport to the spot where the deconstructer was standing. In fact, every item in that 16x16 region will teleport to that spot. The trick is to make a dwarf deconstruct a wall while standing under an atom smasher. You can try something like this:

BBO
OXO
OOO

O = Wall
BB = bridge, raises to the left or right. For best results, raise before deconstructing wall.

Of course, you'll probably need to build several of these, depending on the size and shape of your killing zone.
This whole time, I have been getting angry at my dwarves for randomly making quantum piles for no reason in absurd places. This is why that happens?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 03:20:06 am »

BBO
OXO
OOO

O = Wall

This whole time, I have been getting angry at my dwarves for randomly making quantum piles for no reason in absurd places. This is why that happens?

Yeah, it's a relatively new bug, probably even just the latest version. When a construction ( wall or floor ) get deconstructed, stuffs in a specific square area get teleported into dwarf's square. It was intended to fix issue of things falling on dwarves or dropping things onto dwarves going under it, from what I understands, and got too eager.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 04:00:56 am »

Once I feel it is ready to go, I will send it off towards a stop right in front of a downward hill into the firey depths below. I then get a dwarf to push the wooden cart down the ramp, and everything in it, along with the cart, is incinerated.

You can also send the cart across a track stop with dump definition right by your magma source. If the dump direction is towards the volcano/magma chute/deep red sea itself, that's where everything will get tossed. Saves you the effort of sending an extra dwarf for the disposal (and conserves the minecart for later use, in case that matters).

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 07:43:10 am »

If you're using dfhack (comes with the LazyNewbPack), you can designate them all for dumping, use the "autodump" command to gather all of it to where you cursor is (ideally near stockpiles), unforbid them, and the dwarves will haul them away to where they should be.

It's cheaty yes, but imo, far better than having your fort industry come to a standstill while hauling goblinite for years.

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 08:17:43 am »

I try to have LONG running forts, so I have to keep item count low -> hiding/ignoring the stuff is sadly not an option. My current approach seems to work nice so far:

1. There's some pretty damn big walled space outside my mine gate, that can be closed/opened with bridges from the inside. The bridges are usually open, I try hard to keep all the fighting within that space. When the fighting is over, I close the area, remove the civilian "stay inside" alert and let the dorfs collect the Goblinite.

Everything outside is designated "dbc" (collect) -> "dbd" (dump it all) -> "dbm" (melt items, overwrites dump, so items to melt go pretty straight to the Smelters. The active dump point is on the roof, and is designated as 1-tile refuse pile, so most of the stuff will rot away automatically (I really only want the metal). At that point, I cheat and dfhack the remaining items away - but an atom smasher would probably do exactly the same.

2. Cage traps. Animal stockpile is close to those roof stairs. One cage built right next to the stairs. All captives get assigned to that cage. dbc / dbd / dbm -> all non-metal items will be stripped and dumped (as above). When done - make ONLY ANOTHER dump point available. dbc / dbd again, all metal gets dumped there. When done, dbc/dbm on that pile -> off to smelters.

The now naked prisoners get pitted through a floor hatch into some danger zone - spike traps in the beginning, into the training barracks later, currently into the room with the 2 Hydras (they LIKE_FIGHTING). That room is drawbridge-sealed while this happens (Trolls and stuff, I only had a door first time, and the Trolls managed to destroy the door before the Hydras were done with them ...)

Once all invaders are dead, I open the bridge, and remains get hauled to Refuse pile. With the Dwarfen Higher Learning mod installed, my Hospital team makes good use of body parts to train stitching them up. Or, Atom smasher.

Generally, I try to win invasions by fighting them, but there's lots of cage traps between my military and the main fortress, in case somebody gets through in the heat of the battle.

Obviously, Cage traps are overpowered (Giant? gotcha. Cyclops? another Cyclops? a tameable Hydra? Dragon? All caught without without and dwarf getting into danger). So adjust to your playstyle, in my case I wanted to be foolproof on the surface because this is not the issue/goal of the current fortress.