Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 48

Author Topic: BYOR 12 - Game Over: And That's Why They Call Them Mafia  (Read 107292 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 12 - Day 1: Murder At The Docks
« Reply #270 on: November 06, 2013, 02:11:09 pm »

Cheeetar:
The sad thing is that your case against him could be completely destroyed if Iqovian could be bothered actually defending himself, instead of acting as uncertainly as he has. Have more confidence in yourself, Iqovian!
What.  The.  Fuck. 

What's up?
Why do you feel the need to be Iqo's guardian and cheerleader?

I'm not being a guardian- Nerjin was being legitimately scummy in the way he confirmed Iqo as '100% scum'. Encouraging Iqo to post more, however, is something I'm comfortable owning up to.

Nerjin, you're answering other people's questions- could I have a response to my most recent post on you, or really any reason to not vote for you? You still supposedly take Iqo's joke to be rock solid proof that he's scum, and even though we're in an extension you're voting Birdy over him?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 06, 2013, 02:38:08 pm »

Quote from: Cheetar's Most Recent Post
Nerjin, you're answering other people's questions- could I have a response to my most recent post on you, or really any reason to not vote you? You still supposedly take Iqo's joke to be rock solid proof that he's scum, and even though we're in an extension you're voting Birdy over him?

Firstly, sorry for the way I have to quote you. My internet is being a dick right now.

No, I won't answer your questions. You're obviously not reading the things I say except as far as it takes you to trump up some false charge on me. I've stated MULTIPLE times that I'm voting Birdy51 to avoid a tie. As of last vote count Iqovian has 2 votes [one was mine] and Birdy had 2 votes. So I broke the tie. I switched my vote from My #1 scum pick to my #2 scum pick to insure that we wouldn't have wasted a fuck ton of time on day 1. If day 1 ends in a no lynch we learn NOTHING!

As for reasons not to vote me? I don't care what you think. You've made up your mind that I'm scum. I have more important things to do than to make sure every single other player thinks I'm scum. Especially when said player refuses to make any attempt at seeing the truth that claiming something was a joke after the fact doesn't make it a joke.

I hope you get raped with a knife.

[Tons of posts later after saying it and several of my own posts later]

I was just kidding guys. Gosh. Why do you take things so seriously!

See why I might not believe him? Has it occured to you that he could EASILY, and I mean really easily, be fake-claiming that it was a joke? No, I don't buy it was a joke. His play after the joke might have convinced me but it hasn't. He's played poorly and hasn't scum-hunted anyone other than, surprise, the guy voting him [if you could call an OMGUS scum-hunting]. He's done NOTHING to convince me that he isn't scum and yet circumstances force me to use my vote on Birdy.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 06, 2013, 02:42:08 pm »

Cheeetar:
Cheeetar, do you feel more protective towards The_Iqovian than you do most other players?

I'd be happier if he turned out to be town than scum, and I'd be glad if he started playing earnestly (he's been somewhat busy in real life, as have a few other people in this game)- that's not my reason for attacking Nerjin, though. If Iqovian does start acting legitimately scummy I'll vote for and pressure him- it might seem that I'm letting him off easy, but I know his style of writing a bit more than other people do.

Do you feel differently, and more strongly, about The_Iqovian than you do most other players?  There appears to be a connection between you, more one from you to him than from one from him to you.

I'm seriously time pressed so no hunting for links atm, but others have asked you about defending him and also about advising him.  For my own eyes, as I've looked over play, you do appear to respond to and react to him a bit differently than the rest of us.  I'm not sure what I'm seeing is Scummy, but if you could explain what that reaction you have is/comes from I could use it as part of my reasoning as to what I see means.

If you really need links to know what I'm asking about say so, and I'll put extra time into finding them asap.

The_Iqovian:
I'm a reasonably new player, I've played a few mafia games before and had decent amounts of fun.
The 'nor do I have any reason to go after any of you' was essentially my way of admitting that I really had no reads on anyone at the time. It wasn't a philosophical statement, it was sheer pragmatism.
I feel like he's scummy because he's taking the one thing he 'has' on me (a joke, as I and others have said) and just running with it like it's a football and he has a clear shot at a try.

Great to know about your experience - you do know that the Scum are out to kill the Town and hide while they do so (and there could be other malific third parties too, who also don't want to be noticed while they persue their wincons that conflict with Town's - the majority of us being Town).

Your "nor do I have any reason to go after any of you" is troublesome, because Scum usually don't find themselves.  Arguably, if you're playing this game, you have a reason to try and find Scum, or at least look like you do - Most of us because we are Town and will lose if we don't succeed at exposing the Scum - and the rest of us because if someone don't look like they share that majority goal, that person is going to be pretty easily found.

I don't mind your vote on Nerjin, but I'd like your case well better if it amounted to more than 'he attacked me and the attack is bad'.  I'd also have liked it a lot more if you'd stated that instead of saying instead

It looks to me like he's trying to get rid of me - a laudable cause to be sure - but I think his motives this time are more along the lines of 'killing all the townies', than de-scumming the docks.

That's a strong claim, that you think his motives are killing Town as opposed to hunting Scum, and claims like that should be backed up by details supporting why you see this happening - without that, your words make you look more suspicious.  If someone is Scum, you don't have to paint them red or Scummy - that can make you look Scummier - instead you can highlight what they're doing that is Scummy, invite them to explain and discuss that and their motives, explain how and where their logic or details given contradicts other known (usually posted earlier) details.  Sometimes Scummy-looking stuff isn't Scummy.  Other times it is.  If you'd rather lynch Scum than just Scummy, it may be important to try and differentiate between the two, and that probably can't happen only inside any one player's thoughts.

I'm not convinced that Nerjin is trying to get rid of you or not - I suspect he's trying to investigate you and expose your motives and reactions more clearly.  That doesn't confirm your alignment or his - but I think how you react and how you try to Scumhunt (or not) can be meaningful in determining your role.

One thing to consider, comedy tends to involve saying things, but not saying what you mean.  If much of your posting (more than one or two rare, and ideally clearly defined jokes... you can even use /joke and then say what you really think!) consists of not saying what you mean - that's likely to confuse us, and what purpose does it serve towards identifying Scum?  One very wise IC (player in a newbie game, playing with the purpose of teaching others) once said that 'Everything you do, everything, should be done to help you catch Scum'.  A lot of your posts appear to not be directed towards Scumhunting, and that is worrysome.  I hope your future posts show your motives more clearly.

notquitethere:
Spoiler: OOC on usage of 'note' (click to show/hide)

TolyK:
Numbers added to the quote by me.
Your whole argument, basically:
 [1] - My style of asking people questions, analyzing posts and such is disagreeable.
 [2] - Moreover, I haven't been asking many questions at all, due to low activity.
 [3] - And I haven't been answering the semi-rhetorical questions asked, either.
 [4]- I replied about a possible serial killer and/or cult once, in reply to a question of "what should we look out for?"

You are so far off the base in what you describe as my argument I don't understand how it's possible.

1 - I never call your style of questions and analysis 'disagreeable' - it is not Scumhunting and was being used as a distraction.  Asking one question, then spending 5 days playing with that question's answers is neither satisfactory Scumhunting nor satisfactory analysis.

2 - I never attribute your lack of asking many questions to your 'low activity' - far as I'm concerned your activity is just fine - it's your 'lack of content' and the redirective focus that you are clearly displaying.  Your motives feel hostile to me, your what I call a 'show' feels deceptive and designed to hide malicious intent.  Your reaction to my challenge is redirective, your analysis of it is deeply inaccurate, and you are still not scumhunting.

3 - You dare invite me to "Ping [you] later in case I forget" because of two totally trimmed out posts of mine which you say "Neat. There's something here, but I don't have the time to look at it right now" about.  You're now calling my questions about your statement 'semi-rhetorical', and you still haven't returned to it.  Apparently your words then were also only misdirection and deception to hide your real intentions and your real lack of intention to Scumhunt.

4 - I have not challenged you on anything you've said about possible third parties - nor have I said one word about it.  Someone else has, yes.

Everything that you describe as your interpretation of my 'argument' is incorrect, some of it 100% incorrect.

There's no way I'd feel comfortable with you in Lylo with how you're posting, analyzing, and playing, no matter what your alignment is.  Your level of redirection and misinterpretation seems highly malicious.  By all means, Scumhunt.  It's your wrong focus and your lack of focus that has caught my attention so strongly.

But I've spent well over an hour answering questions (which you say I don't answer)

Wrong again, I say that you mostly only answer questions (and the other thing you mainly do is repeatedly discuss your first question's answers, drawing the most obvious and lowest level conclusions from them - a waste of time and an inflation of post count).

Out of time - Hapah and anyone else I've missed, I'll respond to you when I next get a chance.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 06, 2013, 03:11:21 pm »

Imp, I react differently to Iqo insofar as I actually have a better read of him than the other people in the game so I can understand when a joke is a joke (although it is very suspicious that Nerjin's sense of humour is so very particular), and I'm frustrated that somebody who I recommended the game to in the hopes that they'd put a decent amount of effort (posting! etc) in isn't able to do so.

I have more important things to do than to make sure every single other player thinks I'm scum.
He's done NOTHING to convince me that he isn't scum

Seems a bit hypocritical here, unless you'd care to elaborate (I don't have to prove myself to you, but Iqo has to prove himself to me!)

You keep bringing up things as if you're 'forced' to vote for Birdy. No, you aren't! There's been an extension, bud, the deadline isn't looming, so you have no excuse for not voting the person who you think is definitely scum.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 06, 2013, 04:41:13 pm »

TolyK:
What do you say? A giant roadside scum attraction? You mean, thing that attracts scum? Possibly, I'll keep that in mind, thanks Shakerag.

Why couldn't this have been a vote, considering you're not voting anyway?

I'll just be honest at this point and say I haven't come up with any real leads.  I'll keep looking, but I'm currently having trouble focusing on this game.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 06, 2013, 04:53:12 pm »

Birdy
Normally, you are pretty damn studious my friend.  Yet, you've yet realize that you were the only person that I didn't address an RVS question to.

In fact, I've only actually been in contact with you once, and that was because you asked me a question. What gives?
I pressed you for inactivity here:

Toaster, Tiruin, Hapah, Birdy, TolyK—
The lynch vote is the weapon of town, without it we can't win. It's getting pretty close to the end of the day: are you going to use your vote?

And I've been waitijng for you to get online. My time is a bit more constrained in general (I'm doing Nanowrimo and I'm active in another game) and full analysis with this many players takes hours, so I'll try and squeeze it in before the end of the day or, more likely at this stage, present a full analysis of Day 1 on Day 2, taking into account who pressed for what lynch etc.

We're none of us getting younger. Have you still not voted or did I miss it?

Note, I have only been in contact with you once, not you. Semantics I realize, but still.

If you will also note, I mentioned nothing about your reads or your current views of me or others, nor did I ask for any excuses as to why you are busy. I understand you are busy, but my question asked you nothing about any sort of inactivity on your end. The real basis of why I FOS'd you is the fact that you never noticed that you were the only one I never leveled a single question towards. There is something odd about that fact.

So, I shall say again. What gives? Did you simply not notice?

Also, before you say that I dodged your question, I have answered it, if only in an obtuse manner. Quoting be damned, I was stressed to hell at that point in time.

I learned this morning that I will be attending a funeral here pretty soon. Family died on Sunday and I did not hear about it until early this morning. To those paying attention to this post, count it is as a double reason for not voting. I don't think I can be fully involved in this game right now, and voting anyone right now would be a bit irresponsible.

Regardless, for now I will set forth my Replacement Request, as well a request for a vote count. I'll stick around until either I am dead or someone can take over for me.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 06, 2013, 05:06:22 pm »

Vote Count
------------------------
birdy51 - Deathsword, TheWetSheep,
Cheeetar -
Deathsword -
Hapah -
Imp -
Nerjin - Cheeetar, The_Iqovian,
notquitethere -
Shakerag -
The_Iqovian - notquitethere, Nerjin,
TheWetSheep -
Tiruin -
Toaster -
TolyK - Shakerag, Imp,
No Lynch -

Not Voting - Tiruin, Toaster, TolyK, birdy51, Hapah,

7 To Hammer. Day ends Monday 8 PM Central.

4 of 7 to Extend.

If I missed your vote, let me know. My eyes ain't what they used to be.

Could we get a new update?

Best I can tell, votes look like this now:

Nerjin:  Cheeetar, The_Iqovian
TolyK:  Imp, Shakerag
Birdy51:  Nerjin, TheWetSheep
The_Iqovian:  notquitethere
Shakerag:  Hapah
Cheeetar:  Deathsword

Currently unvoted:  Birdy,  reasons given for unvote at time, later cites a death in family, requesting a replacement but without bolding request (might want to do that, Birdy), (PPE I see you have while I typed this), has said cannot really play.
Never voted:  Toaster, Tiruin, TolyK

Tiruin and TheWetSheep last posted 41 hours ago.

No one's asked for another Extend yet that I can see, so I'll start the requests this time - looks like day ends in about 5 hours.

We have a three way tie in votes right now.  I'd really prefer not to change my vote from TolyK, the way he's acted throughout the game seems seriously off to me.  I have concerns about
Birdy (from before his family emergency; odd behavior, uncertain significance),
Cheeetar(odd behavior, uncertain significance),
The_Iquovian(different odd behavior, uncertain significance),
Deathsword(not much posting to read),
Tiruin (not much posting to read),
Hapah (not much posting to read),
TheWetSheep (game to WetSheep!  At least ask for an extension?) and
Toaster (where's the beefvote?)  (PPE even with low focus, and 'not coming up with leads', there's the cases others have made.  Not voting seems better to you than any use of your vote?  And I note you've asked others about their not voting.  Are you focused on votes?).

I have little time but I'll check on the thread throughout the day to see how things change.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 06, 2013, 05:14:53 pm »

Imp:  Votes are a good place to look, unless some slacker doesn't have enough time to post one.

Early request for an Extend.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 06, 2013, 05:34:24 pm »

Ugh, could day 1 just end already? With half the players not even, y'know, playing it's just a waste of time. PEOPLE! GET IN HERE AND PLAY!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 06, 2013, 06:20:16 pm »

Cheeetar:
Here's a question for you: You think a scummy thing about Iqo is how passive and inactive he's being in the face of these accusations- do you think your inactivity is as scummy, or not?
Inactivity is not scummy. Passivity is. Iqovian does nothing but respond to Nerjin. He doesn't ask any questions that could be used to gleam information from others, not even Nerjin himself. All he does is answer and accuse Nerjin of overreacting to what he claims was a joke. And that's when you are not jumping in to save your buddy.

Was it a joke? That is hard to say. A new player is more likely to slip horribly than an old one. In my second BM a player's first post was him asking me to prove that I wasn't scum. That is a horrible, horrible, slip. Guess what, he was scum. This kind of stuff happens. I am inclined to believe Iqovian did a mistake, being new to forum mafia.

His statement aside, there is the matter that he simply does not hunt scum. It is as if he has no motivation to do so.

What is more worrying is that you time and again intervene in his favour. Not for a single moment have you ever done any scumhunting towards him, unless you count a half-hearted FoS asking him to explain his "joke".
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 06, 2013, 06:23:03 pm »

Ugh... I detest voting what is now essentially a hammer vote, being a hypocrite, and going against my words. But as it stands, if the day were to end right now it would be a No Lynch, which is arguably a pretty poor arrangement.

So, given that I'm not overly bothered by TolyK and I won't vote for myself, I'll throw my vote on Nerjin. I do agree with her though. With as many people who aren't active, it may be a good time to move onto Day 2. This time there will not be an extension from me.

That said, if one passes, I'll revert to no voting, and let those who are still actively participating take care of business. But at some point we do have to move forward.
BIRDS.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 06, 2013, 06:25:36 pm »

I see. Very well. Mind telling me what I've done that is more than TolyK? Was it the actually trying to find scum that put you off? That being said I'm even more certain that you Birdy51 are scum along with Iqovian.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 06, 2013, 06:37:51 pm »

Actually, fun fact, I find your case absolute fucking bull crap Birdy, and as such... You've played horridly and all things considered I think I'm right by voting:

Birdy51, Birdy51

I've elaborated on my reasons before and adding this to the fact that you're ONLY voting to save yourself. Yeah.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 06, 2013, 06:45:39 pm »

What case?

I haven't made any case at all at this point. I'm working off general reads here.

To add onto this, the same exact argument you just made could be applied to you. What is stopping your vote from being one to save your own rear and pull off a No Lynch? Regardless, if I do get lynched, I suppose it really doesn't matter. I'm going to be out the door pretty soon regardless.
BIRDS.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 06, 2013, 07:02:54 pm »

Meph, can we please get an updated vote count/extend count/day end count?

We actually haven't had one since before the previous extend (and every vote change that Nerjin's done has happened SINCE that one)

I'm now wondering if Nerjin's got one vote, 2 votes (he actually used two, in a way in his first first voting post, once inside the spoiler, once outside.), or maybe even 4 votes - He used an unvote once, but since then he's voted for Birdy 4 times across 3 different posts.

Nerjin, is there anything you'd feel comfortable about claiming about your use of votes?  I presume we're about to find out, but I am highly curious.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 48