Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Drowning in steel; Axes or swords?  (Read 3438 times)

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drowning in steel; Axes or swords?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2013, 08:31:02 am »

If it's a military research project, you should arm different squads with different weapons or create squads divided between two kinds of weapons. With enough soldiers, you could get some halfway reliable data on what weapon has the lowest death rate faced with different threats. Arena testing can never simulate real DF combat.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

deepdowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFMigrant]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 04:55:06 pm »

What an undwarvy question, ANY real dwarf knows that the only true fighting skill is charging at your enemy while being drunk, screaming a beardmuffled "WAAARGH" and felling them at knee height.
"So you're staring at the Matrix while memorizing every key combination for twelve hours a day....every day?"

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 05:02:33 pm »

Axes.
Discs.
Ballista arrows.
I'm curious as to what happens to a bronze colossus when impaled by a giant steel arrow. Nothing, something, hilarity?
Ballista arrows do blunt damage so it'll be like hitting all over with a hammer.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 05:17:44 pm »

What an undwarvy question, ANY real dwarf knows that the only true fighting skill is charging at your enemy while being drunk, screaming a beardmuffled "WAAARGH" and felling them at knee height.
Some kind of dwarf-ork hybrid? Or instead of dwarves, maybe I should call them squa
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 05:24:15 pm »

I've made enough full suits of armor and war axes for all adult dwarves to use at the moment. (Only 50 or so adults atm.)

I have barely scratched the steel stockpile.

(Still 2k+ bars steel, 1.5k iron. Over 1k flux remaining. Out of charcoal. Out of wood. Wood grows back, so I just need to wait.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 05:29:29 pm by wierd »

shinyarceus4

• Bay Watcher
  • Catbombs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 06:48:00 pm »

Bolts. Lots and lots of crossbow bolts. Be sure to have tons of marksdwarves.
Plus, assuming you ever run out, you can melt individual bolts down into bars.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 06:50:13 pm by shinyarceus4 »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 06:52:56 pm »

At this point is I'd think your best option is to simply floor the entire outdoors in steel.  Then roof it.  Then start thinking about the joyous evil you can visit on sieges.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 07:03:43 pm »

I think I will make Axes, Swords, AND spears at this point, along with giant serrated discs, giant spiked balls, and enormous axe blades.

Dwarven whipmaster 9000 seems about appropriate at this point.
(I think this fortress will be much more interesting to adv mode players now...)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 07:05:54 pm »

Are swords versatile in game?

Axes can chop, Spears can stab, but a sword can do both, and should be able to handle creatures with dismemberment or organ piercing attacks.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2013, 04:08:51 am »

Are swords versatile in game?

Axes can chop, Spears can stab, but a sword can do both, and should be able to handle creatures with dismemberment or organ piercing attacks.

Sword are very versatile, it's just I find dwarves using them rather badly compared to axe and spears. I'd really replace axe with picks, since pick is like super chopper in DF.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Weapon#Native_weapons

Mostly because of variety of attacks and combat AI isn't really intelligent about using attacks well. Highly skilled dwarves manage to get around it by just blending everything in the way with their strength and speed, most enemies get felled by pain of broken bones, too.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2013, 02:11:52 pm »

Picks are good if your dwarves are inexperienced, because its way easier to train miner than axedwarf, but (I may be wrong) I believe that legendary axedwarf beats legendary miner.
I am personally partial to hammers, especially in tunnels/caverns; enemies tend to break fairly quickly when they are sent flying into a stone wall.

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels breath: Seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2013, 09:35:14 pm »

At this point is I'd think your best option is to simply floor the entire outdoors in steel.  Then roof it.  Then start thinking about the joyous evil you can visit on sieges.

This would certainly use up a good quantity of the excess metal, but how about we not bother with the entire outdoors. Instead let's build something... more intimidating.

Build a giant looming steel block wall hammer statue, immediately over your prisoner pit. Design it so that the head will crush the damned souls who live in its shadow. The wrath of Armok shall be ever present overhead.

Useless, but damn sweet.
"Anything man can imagine is a possibility in reality."
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

NotaPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2013, 10:18:04 pm »

Manly fists.

Alternatively, the pickaxe because it's the dwarfiest weapon and easy to train.

Legendary/high ranked miners seem to train their other skills much quicker, including another weapon you can have them crosstrain with.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2013, 02:09:36 am »

Idea! Build dorf mechas out of steel.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2013, 03:47:00 am »

I am gonna build the whipmaster 9000 Dwarven Death Device, with repetitious hallways filled with weapon traps loaded with steel spikes, Spiked balls, serrated steel discs, and enormous axe blades, then Misc weapon traps filled with the dregs from weapon manufacture.

I will install them in both the hallway to the cavern layer, AND in a perimeter defense system near the above ground entrance.

Whatever's left over, I will spam armor until I have nothing but masterwork gear, then recycle the rest.
Pages: 1 2 [3]