Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 39

Author Topic: The mars anchor war: fighting the wyrmlings  (Read 39807 times)

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
Re: The mars anchor war: Turn 1: The sacking of earth
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2013, 01:17:40 pm »

Eleanor felt despair creep up on her as the man continued and finally found her voice
”S-so everyone we knew, everyone we loved is dead.” her voice was soft almost a whisper as she spoke these words fearing the confirmation of her suspicions. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 01:22:43 pm by Kansa »
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2013, 01:33:54 pm »

"Uhm, I don't think I'm a magic user. I've never even had the slightest strange thing happen to me. But as that thralls face can attest if he's still alive. I've got a mean right hook."
"you're were latent magic user. Your magical abilities only fully come to power once you've made your first trip through the in-between." He shrugs "Wether or not you want to train to be able to manifest your powers is up to you of course. You won't be flinging spells without some hard practice, after all."

Eleanor felt despair creep up on her as the man continued and finally found her voice
”S-so everyone we knew, everyone we loved is dead.” her voice was soft almost a whisper as she spoke these words fearing the confirmation of her suspicions.

"I'm afraid so, the war with the other planes lasted a good 100 years. So if the war didn't claim them, time will have. I'm afraid you won't recognize much when you go outside, everything's changed. As I said, russia's gone, America is now divided in the American Union and Communist Canada, all the different euopean countries have become United europa, and pretty much all of asia is under the Nihan Empire."
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 01:36:30 pm by Pancaek »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2013, 01:38:26 pm »

"Well if I'm gonna have to fight I'll stick to what I'm good at and thats using my fists. Mages are still human right? So when I start snapping limbs they're still gonna go down."
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2013, 01:47:51 pm »

Joy looks around at her... companions, she guesses? Fellow misfits, at any rate. She soundlessly mouths the words "what the fuck?" rather expressively. She didn't really have any loved ones, or even that many friends, but damn - two hundred fifty frickin' years had passed in a moment.

However, she isn't in this state of stupefaction for long, once she hears the words "latent magic user", her mind instantly rocketed back to the present.

"Am I a latent magic user? Can I learn magic?" she asks the guy.

Ask!

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2013, 01:49:42 pm »

Lilia listens to the chatter with a sullen expression.  She didn't feel terribly bothered by the news that everyone she knew is dead because... well... she barely knew anyone.  Society really went down the drain too... but she still felt no need to go back to it.  As if there was anything to go back to anymore considering the entire planet is crawling with monsters, according to these lunatics.

"This is annoying." Lilia finally responds, her voice quiet.  She doesn't really care if anyone hears her.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 02:28:23 pm by Lalasa »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2013, 02:13:14 pm »

"Well if I'm gonna have to fight I'll stick to what I'm good at and thats using my fists. Mages are still human right? So when I start snapping limbs they're still gonna go down."

"you'll be wanting to talk to either the boss or Morgan for that. They're good with the more conventional forms of combat. And yes, stab a human mage and he'll go down. Results may vary depending on species."

Joy looks around at her... companions, she guesses? Fellow misfits, at any rate. She soundlessly mouths the words "what the fuck?" rather expressively. She didn't really have any loved ones, or even that many friends, but damn - two hundred fifty frickin' years had passed in a moment.

However, she isn't in this state of stupefaction for long, once she hears the words "latent magic user", her mind instantly rocketed back to the present.

"Am I a latent magic user? Can I learn magic?" she asks the guy.
"you've made your trip thorugh the in-between, so you can now start your training. Allow me to explain how this works."
((All magic users get to choose their first element discipline at 1 point, second at 6 points, and third at 12 points. Elemental users get one of 4 basic elements at the start, and every sixth point they can either pick a new element or unlock more of their old one. fire gets electricity, water gets ice, earth gets metal and wind gets "hurricane" which is basically an upgrade to existing abilities and provides sustained flight. You can create elemental spells out of nothing, but amplyfying existing elements such as amplyfyin the electricity from a lightbulb costs less mana. Adept users get to choose their discipline in the same way, disciplines include things like mind, seer, illusions, telekinesis, etc. adept disciplines are less broad than elementals, but adepts can use single purpose spells. These are phrases or words that produce a single effect regardless if it's within your chosen discipline, but have skill penalty of -1. All magic can backfire, horribly.))
-And so, if the flux of the immaterium cannot catch the right waves, it will return to the caster and produce averse effects. got all that?"

"So that's that, as of today you're all part of the order. You will find standard uniforms in the boxes behind you, boots, shirt, jacket, the works. It is costumary for members to bring their own weapons, but I'll ask Morgan to scrounge something up to start you off. I'll be here in the briefing room if you need me. Morgan will be down in the armory, Veronica will be in the workshops and Invuss will be in the Library for all your magic needs. You will be send on your first task at oh-six-hundred hours. Dismissed."

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The mars anchor war: Mission 1: stocking up
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2013, 02:24:07 pm »

Go speak with Morgan about melee training and a good set of armor and melee weapons.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2013, 02:27:28 pm »

"Wait, wait, wait... where during this conversation did I agree to be drafted into the army?!" Lilia pipes up, her eyes widening.  "I've never even gotten in a fight before... this is insane!" her mutters continues, the young woman suddenly looking agitated and stressed.

I don't have any combat training! she screams internally. Still, it doesn't look as if she had much choice in the matter.  And clothes are clothes. 

Lilia looks for the box that supposedly hers and takes what's in it.

((I'm having issues picking what tense I should be writing in XD))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2013, 02:40:22 pm »

Joy was getting rather exasperated as the people grew insistent.

"Wait, what order are you talking about? I know you regulate some passageways, but what's this order business? And why are we required to join? I mean, I'll probably sign up, what with the magic and all, but do we have any alternatives?"

Ask!

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2013, 02:44:13 pm »

Eleanor felt tears rise up as he confirmed her fears; she had never had many friends but her family... She clutched the violin even close to her chest; it was the only thing she had left of them now. One thing that really disturbed her was how well her companions were taking it, nobody else seemed to care. She pushed the tears back down, there would be time for that later and there were more important things to consider now.

“How do you expect me to fight, I'm a musician. Even if I am a latent magician, won't I need more training than just a few hours to master that?”
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2013, 02:51:55 pm »

Go speak with Morgan about melee training and a good set of armor and melee weapons.

"training? let me give you some advice, do not, EVER, attack a kineticist in melee. They soak up the force of your blows and redirect it right back at you. the equipment you get is a standard issue combat knife and a 9mm pistol with a spare magazine, for 24 shots total. But seeing as you're dead set to beating something to death...well...I like your gusto kid, so I'll throw in something good. Do you want a machete, or a hatchet?"

"Wait, wait, wait... where during this conversation did I agree to be drafted into the army?!" Lilia pipes up, her eyes widening.  "I've never even gotten in a fight before... this is insane!" her mutters continues, the young woman suddenly looking agitated and stressed.

I don't have any combat training! she screams internally. Still, it doesn't look as if she had much choice in the matter.  And clothes are clothes. 
Eleanor felt tears rise up as he confirmed her fears; she had never had many friends but her family... She clutched the violin even close to her chest; it was the only thing she had left of them now. One thing that really disturbed her was how well her companions were taking it, nobody else seemed to care. She pushed the tears back down, there would be time for that later and there were more important things to consider now.

“How do you expect me to fight, I'm a musician. Even if I am a latent magician, won't I need more training than just a few hours to master that?”

Joy was getting rather exasperated as the people grew insistent.

"Wait, what order are you talking about? I know you regulate some passageways, but what's this order business? And why are we required to join? I mean, I'll probably sign up, what with the magic and all, but do we have any alternatives?"

"You're being conscripted into the regulators, not the army. Don't worry, you won't be send into battlezones. The reason for this conscription is that, technically, you don't exist anymore. Whatever nationality you had, That country is gone now. You have zero ties to this world left. So rather than send you on your way to die in a ditch somewhere, I'm offering you the oppertunity to work towards the balance all worlds. We offer you a purpose, a home. You are free to leave if you wish, but expect no help outside of our order. The outside world is mistrusting of strangers at best, if not outright hostile. Some species that stop in this plane are neutral towards humans, while some will kill you on sight.

As for your training, all of you will find that you've been issued a standard pistol with a spare magazine and a combat knife. All further equipment is procure on site. To train your first element or discipline, go see Invuss. And relax, learning magic is mostly trial and error, it will come naturally after a while."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2013, 03:05:08 pm »

"Well... erm... okay, then. Good to know. And we can leave at any time, right?"

Ask! Then go get equipment (and hopefully some actual clothes), then go see Invuss.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2013, 03:19:33 pm »

" Uhm Hatchet please, can I trade the gun for something a little more me? Like the machete. If I try to use a gun I'll probably end up shooting myself in the foot and I've got all the magical talent of the floorboards we're standing on.
But hacking, slashing and otherwise doing unpleasant things to people up close I can do.

Whats the limits on that kineticist ability? Can it be overwhelmed if he's hit by something suitably hard?
"
Caine's law.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2013, 03:38:44 pm »

"Well... erm... okay, then. Good to know. And we can leave at any time, right?"

Ask! Then go get equipment (and hopefully some actual clothes), then go see Invuss.

"Any time you feel like it, yes, but I strongly recommend staying with the order."
you go see Invuss "All right then, conscript, what do you want your first discipline to be?"

" Uhm Hatchet please, can I trade the gun for something a little more me? Like the machete. If I try to use a gun I'll probably end up shooting myself in the foot and I've got all the magical talent of the floorboards we're standing on.
But hacking, slashing and otherwise doing unpleasant things to people up close I can do.

Whats the limits on that kineticist ability? Can it be overwhelmed if he's hit by something suitably hard?
"
"Sorry, kid, I'm not even supposed to give you the hatchet. If I give you any more the Overseers will cut our budget even more, and we're already one of lowest budgeted outposts.

Kineticists can still be hurt. best thing is to shoot them, stab em, or put em on fire. Just don't punch or bash them, they'll soak that right up"

((just for ease's sake, everyone now has the standard clothes, a combat knife and the pistol with spare mag. So no need to use up an action to get those.))

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2013, 03:41:50 pm »

" Ahh well I'll settle for hacking his arms off with the hatchet then. After all, dead is dead. Thanks for the hatchet. "

Go speak with the boss about training in melee combat instead of magic.
Caine's law.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 39