Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The most dwarfish Deity you've ever seen.  (Read 1883 times)

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The most dwarfish Deity you've ever seen.
« on: August 03, 2013, 09:05:41 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's practically Armok. Usually any Deity I get is just a line or two of something generic but this one describes DF in a nutshell. I bet his beard menaces with spikes of slade.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
Re: The most dwarfish Deity you've ever seen.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 10:18:12 am »

Everyone knows Armok has a candy beard and that the candy we have is pieces of his beard.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Yerv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 11:42:11 am »

That is no god! It is the war general of Armoks army of one thousand dwarven demigods.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 12:03:08 pm »

Has anyone ever had a god dedicated to plump helmets?
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 03:27:36 pm »

Not that I'm aware, but it would be hilarious.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 03:31:42 pm »

I don't think Plump Helmets are a sphere, but you might be able to get a deity represented as a plump helmet man.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 07:06:43 pm »

I don't think Plump Helmets are a sphere, but you might be able to get a deity represented as a plump helmet man.

If only, then I'd have a "proper" reason to expose my dwarves to the many cavern monsters in the slim hope of capturing some adorable little mushroom men, to then store in the safest part of my fort at the expense of the ugly beardlings  :P . Alas, the most interesting god I can remember was an undead female dwarf associated with dirt, disease, death, and fortresses. Second place goes to a bumble bee worker associated with muck. I usually look through my masons on embark to see who has the most interesting gods, then consign a poor mason to waste his life making statues to fill the shrine I feel compelled to build (regular upkeep through sacrifices of blood and valuables optional).

By the way, am I imagining things, or do gods of "good" things (like peace, light, happiness, etc) tend to curse people more often than others? Whenever I do my mandatory embark god check the "good" gods tend to have a huge list of curses, but also more "recieved worship" entries, do you suppose the two things are related?
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 09:20:24 pm »

I once had a male god who took the form of a hoary marmot and was associated with rainbows. I've always wondered how that sphere got assigned to dwarves anyway.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Yerv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 09:46:47 pm »

I once had a male god who took the form of a hoary marmot and was associated with rainbows. I've always wondered how that sphere got assigned to dwarves anyway.
They cause very bad things to happen, just look at the NES movie licensed titles.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 08:31:14 am »

If only, then I'd have a "proper" reason to expose my dwarves to the many cavern monsters in the slim hope of capturing some adorable little mushroom men, to then store in the safest part of my fort at the expense of the ugly beardlings  :P . Alas, the most interesting god I can remember was an undead female dwarf associated with dirt, disease, death, and fortresses. Second place goes to a bumble bee worker associated with muck. I usually look through my masons on embark to see who has the most interesting gods, then consign a poor mason to waste his life making statues to fill the shrine I feel compelled to build (regular upkeep through sacrifices of blood and valuables optional).

By the way, am I imagining things, or do gods of "good" things (like peace, light, happiness, etc) tend to curse people more often than others? Whenever I do my mandatory embark god check the "good" gods tend to have a huge list of curses, but also more "recieved worship" entries, do you suppose the two things are related?

From memory, curses are dealt out for defiling their temples in some way during world gen. Since good gods are going to get more worship (presumably), they're going to have more places of worship and thus an increased likelyhood for worship and cursing to happen.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 10:49:27 am »

From memory, curses are dealt out for defiling their temples in some way during world gen. Since good gods are going to get more worship (presumably), they're going to have more places of worship and thus an increased likelyhood for worship and cursing to happen.

That makes sense.

In other news, I have a new favourite god.  "Utost the Chartreuse Incenses ... takes the form of male dwarf and is associated with pregnancy and marriage." For some reason I find this amusing.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 11:29:57 am »

I think I had the same thing back when I first started, was a bit odd yeah.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 07:32:21 am »

That makes sense.

In other news, I have a new favourite god.  "Utost the Chartreuse Incenses ... takes the form of male dwarf and is associated with pregnancy and marriage." For some reason I find this amusing.
Ever see that wooden figurine of that African god with a massive schlong?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Ora_the_Owlish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PFUDOR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 08:33:21 am »

My favorite thus far was a male Tortured Being (Masterwork) associated with rainbows. Nothing else. Just rainbows.
Broseph Stalin, "The Increasingly Tragic Tale of Dumplin", a narrative
This is a narrative. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of feels.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 09:37:33 am »

Everyone knows Armok has a candy beard and that the candy we have is pieces of his beard.
Are you saying that dwarves cut Armok's beard when they mine adamantine? Small wonder he hates them.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.
Pages: [1] 2