Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Zombie mod?  (Read 3117 times)

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF Zombie mod?
« on: August 02, 2013, 12:51:22 pm »

I play cataclysm alot. I think that DF would be a good base for a great zombie mod. Wonder if one exists. I would think when sites come out, it might give you a base to mod them for survivalist towns or zombie infested cities. Could be great in roguelike mode. Would need to make the world more dense. Probably a denser smaller world. Since one too large would run into FPS hell.

just wondering if anyone thought to work on this? Im not a C progammer. So modding this is not really practical for me.

just curious...

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Zombie mod?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 01:32:05 pm »

DF modding is not about C programming.
Zombie mods pop out from time to time, but they're mostly about one-two creatures and a pair of syndromes. Nothing game-changing.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 01:36:44 pm »

Gen older world with more wars, necromancer tower's the closest that could be from what I've seen in adventure mode forum :D

Evil biomes with resurrection works for fortress mode, too.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 01:57:21 pm »

Judging by him saying "cataclysm" he means zombies similar to L4D, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, etc.

All I know is that Corrosion (by IT000?) has "infected" which is similar I guess to zombies

Your Best bet would  be to strip DF down to the basics (try downloading my RTS mod in the "Mod Releases")
And try your hand at making some zombies.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 05:47:10 pm »

C progammer.... modding

Ha, I wish. Maybe that way we'd have more ability to mod. Still, I respect Toady's choices of how he wants his game to be made and presented to the world far more than my ability to mod.

Anyway, Here you go, it's way simpler than C.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 07:15:43 am »

Embark inside a town near a necromacer tower and hope things go terrible wrong - for the townsfolk at least.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 02:33:55 pm »

Outside evil biomes or towers, you can play with the world gen setting to make a full evil world. You should get more zombies that way.
Perhaps you can multiply necromancer towers too.

Otherwise, all is left is to make a zombie civ strong enough to take a bite at the other entities.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 02:58:52 pm »

here is the mod you are after Zombie Mod 0.9
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 10:11:34 am »

For those of us who don't know, Cataclysm DDA is a post-apocalyptic indie rouge-like about surviving in a zombie apocalypse. It uses ASCII graphics just like DF and is actually quite enjoyable. Its been occupying some of my time while I've been waiting for the newest DF release. That being said; there is no Cataclysm DDA mod... but I've been thinking a lot about making one. I'm just not sure if it's worth it to do when there is a new version on the horizon...
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.