Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Handless Dwarf?  (Read 3081 times)

Mods

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Handless Dwarf?
« on: August 02, 2013, 12:10:39 pm »

I figured my poor marksdwarf was done for, he came into the hospital with most of his limbs broken or smashed open while missing 2 hands. But a few years passed and Stodir Tongsgirders the handless marksdwarf is back in the field with no less than 5 splints and 4 pieces of thread stuffed into his body.
Now my question is, what can I do with him? I mean, considering his divine recovery, Armok surely must have some divine purpose for him right?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: Handless Dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 12:21:12 pm »

Well, he can still Kick, Bite, and Wrestle . . . these skills are surprisingly effective in DF, so don't write him off just yet. On the other hand, you really want to make sure that he doesn't get blood on him, because a dwarf who gets bloody, must bathe. A dwarf with no hands, cannot bathe. So you might want to make sure that the next fight he takes part in . . . is a fight from which he does not return. A slain hero is still a hero.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 12:28:15 pm »

I checked the wiki for what limitations Stodir will have to face now that he has been crippled. While the most obvious thing is that he can no longer hold things, he should still be able to work at workshops, gather crops, and feed himself, but will be unable to haul.

Though he will no longer be able to clothe himself. Then again, neither can most able-bodied dwarves, so he's not at too much of a disadvantage. Since he is military, he is likely wearing armour, which will not rot away. I'd recommend leaving him in his current squad, he should be fine once he gets some decent skill in biting.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 12:29:55 pm »

Handless? Put him in front line to eat anything that comes close and die standing and use dwarven bath to clean him up if he keep surviving :D

I don't think handless civ creatures lasts long with not being able to wash themselves or dress themselves, really, but they can still make sure none passes.

I checked the wiki for what limitations Stodir will have to face now that he has been crippled. While the most obvious thing is that he can no longer hold things, he should still be able to work at workshops, gather crops, and feed himself, but will be unable to haul.

Though he will no longer be able to clothe himself. Then again, neither can most able-bodied dwarves, so he's not at too much of a disadvantage. Since he is military, he is likely wearing armour, which will not rot away. I'd recommend leaving him in his current squad, he should be fine once he gets some decent skill in biting.

Most workplaces aren't viable since they have to haul things into it, they can feed themselves by eating off floor our out of barrels like military does. I've heard that a lot of jobs that apparently don't need hands ( book-recording and broking ) apparently does in practice.

Mods

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 12:57:44 pm »

Well, he's armoured for the most part. He's lacking pants, but he doesn't seem to mind.
I guess it's decided then, the word shall tremble before Stodir, the cripled pantless wrestler. May Armok have mercy on the goblins, for Stodir will not.
Can he still take off his clothes though? Because I'm worried he'll strip naked when I move him to a melee squad.   :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:07:11 pm by Mods »

Mods

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 01:56:59 pm »

double post
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 11:11:59 pm by Mods »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 04:31:28 pm »

Hauled items aren't actually "held" in the hands. When you look at a dwarf hauling, it won't say chalk boulder (left hand) it will say chalk boulder (hauled). The dwarf should still be able to haul.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 04:34:51 pm »

Hauled items aren't actually "held" in the hands. When you look at a dwarf hauling, it won't say chalk boulder (left hand) it will say chalk boulder (hauled). The dwarf should still be able to haul.

Hauling and holding thing need [GRASP] which are the hands in default dwarf body structure. It probably don't says which one because even one is enough.

Well, at least my handless dwarves never manage to haul and always spams error on trying to. Same for those with motor nerve loss to both of their arms or grasp impaired on both of them.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 04:39:28 pm »

He should, but before a dwarf hauls, the game will check to see if they has the ability to grasp. If they do not, it will not allow him to haul, even though hauled items exist in a magical alternate dimension alongside things that have been caged.

Can he still take off his clothes though? Because I'm worried he'll strip naked when I move him to a melee squad.   :)

Likely, as you can still remove equipment in adventure mode even without arms.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 04:42:38 pm »

He should, but before a dwarf hauls, the game will check to see if they has the ability to grasp. If they do not, it will not allow him to haul, even though hauled items exist in a magical alternate dimension alongside things that have been caged.

Likely, as you can still remove equipment in adventure mode even without arms.

Forget to answer this one, dwarves will 'drop' things when it's unassigned. They can't put things back on without functional part with [GRASP] though.

If one don't mind temp cheat to slap stuff back on, could add grasp to the mouth or something in the raw. Not familiar where it would go but it don't need regen.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 07:35:20 pm »

Clearly you need to remove his legs also, so he has to worm around to get anywhere.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mods

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 05:45:02 pm »

Clearly you need to remove his legs also, so he has to worm around to get anywhere.
There's no need, upon further inspection it appears his sensory nerves in one of his legs were severed. So he is, indeed, worming around everywhere :p

Also, I've discovered a use for him, he'll be a legendary biter before I'm done with him!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 06:21:28 pm by Mods »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 06:14:07 pm »

Thank you for making my day.  Fight on, Stump Lord, FIGHT ON!

Goes back to mad giggling...

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 11:54:08 pm »

Magnificent. Seems like his injuries don't hamper his dodge skills. Feed him some more aggressive animals and he'll probably become legendary dodger. At which point you can unleash him upon the goblins or lone megabeasts.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 12:37:42 am »

I've had a veteran marksdwarf who lost his grasping abilites by disabling shots to both of his arms. I retired him. It was really saddening to watch him try to wash himself with soap he couldn't pickup. He dehydrated two years later, because he could not pick up any new clothes.
Pages: [1] 2