Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 38

Author Topic: So, erm, GTA5 is OUT  (Read 52551 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: So, erm, GTA5 is OUT
« Reply #420 on: April 17, 2015, 03:17:18 pm »

Got a chance to play for an hour.  With some fiddling with the settings I've got it almost to 1080p 60fps and it looks amazing.  Huge stuttering when driving at high speeds, working on fixing that right now.  Aside from that it's awesome.  I like the sound of the heists, GTA's gunplay isn't the best but it's a lot better than Payday's and the gunplay is the main thing I'm looking for in that.
Shoes...

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 17, 2015, 03:18:20 pm »

Patch 1.01 has been released.

Also, from what I've heard, the 36 GB repacks lack the GTA Online assets, some of which are used in the single-player game. As a result, many missions become completely unplayable. There's a torrent of the missing files available on some trackers.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 17, 2015, 04:07:41 pm »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 19, 2015, 03:49:19 pm »

So, peasant confession time.  I can't see the difference between 60 and 30 fps.  I can see it in a gif made specifically to showcase it but in the course of actual gameplay I can't see it.  Maybe my eyes need to get used to it.

Tons of fun but some things I think it does worse than GTA 4.  Enemy models were more reactive to being hit in GTA 4 and their wound states were more, uh, granular?  There were more possible situations, I dunno how to put it better than that.  Like you shoot a cop four times in the gut with a pistol and he'll react to each shot and fall down realistically, but he won't be dead, he'll squirm around and call for help.  That still happens occasionally in GTA 5 but not nearly as often, almost always when a guy goes down he's dead.  Also most civilians are killed in one shot by sucker punches.  Like dead dead.

And there's no patrolling cops which is strange.  I mean in GTA 4 there were two or three cars on every block but GTA 5 is completely deserted aside from scripted events and locations. 

And uh...  The satire sucks but that was in 4 too.  GTA subscribes to the new school of satire where you just say things about a person with no actual punchline and that's the joke.  Most of the radio jokes are like this.  It would've been just as funny if the devs just sent you an email that said "You know, hollywood people are shallow and have plastic surgery."

And I feel like each game has managed to fit more and more padding into the game.  They at least don't force you to go play darts with people but there's still a ton of forced filler that isn't fun at all.  Like I'm doing the flight school for the second heist right now and it's the most boring thing in history.  You go from shooting your way through a morgue and escaping from the FBI to learning how to fly a cessna to holding up a liquor store to playing tennis, there's a real schizophrenia to the gameplay of GTA games. 

They alleviated that a bit with a character it makes sense to play like a lunatic with and I love him.  Trevor's awesome.  For maximum rad I dressed him up like Anton Chigurh and gave him the silenced shotgun.
Shoes...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 19, 2015, 09:08:03 pm »

Personally I usually only notice framerates below 60 but above 30 when turning or spinning in a first/third person game without motion blur (It's much easier to see when the scene is rotating), and/or the framerate is varying wildly, or when vsync is off.

I've noticed that if I turn off the motion blur (which kicks in while spinning the view) in the Witcher 2 the sub-60 framerate is annoyingly obvious, but if I leave it on, it looks smooth.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 19, 2015, 09:58:27 pm »

I'll give that a try and see if it changes anything.  My game goes from 45 or so when shit's going on to 60 or more while idling.   

Trevor was the best idea they had.  He's kind of a weird character but he really helps alleviate the jarringness of the gameplay.  Multiple characters in general.  I love dropping stacks of cash on a ridiculously pimped out whip but that doesn't seem like something Michael would do.  That's okay because I can do it on Franklin instead (is that racist? Oh well, it's a pretty fucking racist game).

Likewise, neither Franklin or Michael seem like the type to rampage across the city but of course that's all Trevor does.  So I can roleplay Michael choosing not to cause a huge scene every time he leaves his house without feeling like I'm missing out on the mayhem the game provides, and I can go nuts with Trevor without making the game's various elements feel schizophrenic. 

Right now I'm playing through Michael's blowout after his family leaves.  He shaved his head, grew his beard out, started dressing like Max Payne 3, and bought a muscle car so he can sit in parking garages and headbang to rock and roll.
Shoes...

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 20, 2015, 03:50:19 am »

Apparently 2 GB of VRAM is not enough for GTA V's High texture quality settings, so I had to go over the limit to make the game look not shitty. As a result, I have to deal with very annoying jittering, especially when driving. After setting most graphic settings to High or Normal, the resolution down to 720p and DirectX version to 10.1 the jittering became more tolerable.

Still, Rockstar did a very good job on optimization - besides the jittering, the game have always worked smoothly for me so far. I had a CTD once after trying to throw a grenade and then shoot from a car.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 03:54:36 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 20, 2015, 04:27:25 am »

I have a confession: I miss GTAIV's driving. Not so much that I want to go back to it nor to say that I think it was particularly good (it took some getting used to). All that intense practice translates into GTAV, and when coupled with the arcade-like handling makes for a fairly unchallenging drive. I can survive for ages on the motorcycles while holding w down like a madman, and dodge through absurdly tight spaces at speeds where it just looks absurd. Highways are particularly boring, and you might think that that's expected considering slab of pavement hundreds of miles long but when you're speeding at 180mph and not almost dying every second it doesn't feel very real or exciting.

Kind of a boring example, but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7SxKt_01RI

Now that I think about it I had installed handling re-balances, top speed increases, x2 damage for vehicles, and a first person mod for GTAIV. These had a few effects:

1. The vehicles were all realistically powerful in that your average sedan could accelerate to fairly dangerous speeds, while superbikes were almost guaranteed suicide until you really got the handling down.

2. First person was difficult to control without boosting your mouse sensitivity to absurd levels. Combined with effect number 1, meant I had to struggle to drive down the street, much less evade police at speed.

3. The A.I. was not made for those speeds, let me tell you. . . Highways in particular were always hilarious to observe. The NPC would accelerate upon entering the freeway like normal, but since the game didn't know to expect the realistic speeds the hapless AI would smash into the rear of slower cars and drive itself over barriers.

I hope to find similar mods cropping up soon.

The new wanted system will take some getting used to. I'm not too sure how to escape from a 4-star wanted level with three helis chasing me. I shoot one and another, but before I kill the third the others return and I'm suddenly out of ammo and then I'm dead.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 20, 2015, 05:31:41 am »

About being wanted and escaping, I think that the most obvious solution is to escape, not kill.
I've had 4-5 stars a few times (I like to explore the city and usually end up in a military base :p ), and I've only survived by racing really fast on highways, or with a truck on train tracks (so you can get hit by SMGs and survive long enough to get away from roads and get into a tunnel if the helicopters won't stop following you).

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 20, 2015, 01:04:07 pm »

This might be a stupid question, but here it goes anyway. How do you throw a grenade? I hold left mouse button like it says I should and then I press the right mouse button and all he does is pull the pin. All I can manage to do is drop it at my feet. I'm sure there's something simple I'm missing. 

edit : nevermind I figured it out. I was doing it backwards
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:12:47 pm by Wiles »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 20, 2015, 01:09:11 pm »

The driving does feel easier and safer but GTA 4 driving was terrible.  I don't remember who I'm stealing this from but GTA 4 cars drove like they had a second car taped to the roof.

That's another area though where I feel like GTA 5's destruction is less granular and fun.  Like when I get out of my car as Trevor and just light up an approaching police car with an extended-clip assault rifle, the windows break and the guys inside die but I feel like that's it.  There's no hissing and tilting as the tires deflate, I don't see the bumper fall off, the car just steadily fall apart as I put a million bullets into it.

Though I may be thinking of Mafia 2 now that I think of it.  It was always fun to shoot up a car with the thompson in Mafia 2.

Despite the weaker mayhem in some areas GTA 5 is still consistently fun and hilarious when it comes to trashing things.  Like the time I was driving a semi truck and ran a redlight as two motorcycles were crossing.  One stopped in time, the other splattered himself against the side of the truck while his bike slid under it.

Also Scooter Brothers.
Shoes...

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 20, 2015, 01:13:56 pm »

This might be a stupid question, but here it goes anyway. How do you throw a grenade? I hold left mouse button like it says I should and then I press the right mouse button and all he does is pull the pin. All I can manage to do is drop it at my feet. I'm sure there's something simple I'm missing.
IIRC, RMB to aim and then release to throw or press LMB (I don't remember exactly).

Also, after doing that, do not try to shoot out of the car window when driving - it crashes the game. This bug is yet to be fixed by Rockstar, both legit and pirated copies of the game have it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:18:39 pm by Guardian G.I. »
and that is terrible
Sigtext

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 20, 2015, 01:30:59 pm »

There's a middle finger button in this game. It is the best drive by weapon.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 20, 2015, 01:36:02 pm »

IIRC, RMB to aim and then release to throw or press LMB (I don't remember exactly).

Also, after doing that, do not try to shoot out of the car window when driving - it crashes the game. This bug is yet to be fixed by Rockstar, both legit and pirated copies of the game have it.

I kinda want to buy the 7 dvd hard copy but 5gb necessary updates kill it. Come on Rockstar. Reissue in a month when you've figured your shit out.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 20, 2015, 02:22:04 pm »

That's another area though where I feel like GTA 5's destruction is less granular and fun.  Like when I get out of my car as Trevor and just light up an approaching police car with an extended-clip assault rifle, the windows break and the guys inside die but I feel like that's it.  There's no hissing and tilting as the tires deflate, I don't see the bumper fall off, the car just steadily fall apart as I put a million bullets into it.

Though I may be thinking of Mafia 2 now that I think of it.  It was always fun to shoot up a car with the thompson in Mafia 2.

That sounds like the Saints Row games too. You can shoot out the tires, knock off the bumpers, etc, in those.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 38