Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38

Author Topic: So, erm, GTA5 is OUT  (Read 52583 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, erm, GTA5 is OUT
« Reply #510 on: May 01, 2015, 08:29:07 pm »

I get a feeling I'm skipping a bunch of stuff. I'm not especially interested in the DM type stuff, more of a co-op or objective based person. I'm rank 11 or something but most of that was because I wanted to do flight school stuff (and discover how ass the controls for aircraft are, it feels like they are constantly fighting against my control inputs, especially helicopters). I did do a couple of heist 'set up' missions and even got to tag along on the actual heist (prison break) as the 'demolition' guy. Thankfully despite not being able to read the briefing at all thanks to a forced tutorial that held everybody up so they kept leaving I did alright, but I keep screwing up the controls when on foot and it gets me killed a lot. I got to fly a helicopter though so I was pretty pleased with that (I am so glad vortex ring state isn't modeled in this game).

So basically, I've only done the 'tutorial' deathmatch, one or two races, and the rest of the time I'm accepting nearly every heist invite in the hopes that people don't just drop out during the menu which, for whatever reason, Rockstar decided required an additional loading screen.

How can I tell when crew members are on and am I too low level to do anything meaningful with them?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 01, 2015, 08:56:35 pm »

Grand Theft Time: Load Santos.  Get used to long waits.
Shoes...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 01, 2015, 09:22:39 pm »

Oh, apparently auto aim got enabled somehow and the option to disable it is greyed out? =/

Either the deadzone for my controller the game puts on it is atrocious or my controller just generally has a terrible deadzone...

EDIT: Is there a way to sell a property I no longer want?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 10:14:59 pm by OzyTheSage »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 01, 2015, 10:39:44 pm »

No.

But there's not much reason to sell them either.  Are you playing singleplayer?  Without giving too much spoilers, if you play your cards right you'll have basically unlimited money when you beat the game.  Just don't do the Lester assassination missions for Franklin until the game is over.

And when you do them, don't forget to properly do all the stocks.  The stock you're benefiting might go up 30 to 50% but the stock you're killing will rebound for up to 300% on some missions. 
Shoes...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 02, 2015, 12:34:44 am »

Nope, multiplayer. I asked because when I bought a new property it said something about a resale or transfer but I chose 'empty' instead of my old garage... so I don't know what that was or what it did.

It's a bit annoying that I have to do races to unlock parts for my cars. Not because I have to race, necessarily, but because every race I've joined has been using the "super" cars setting and in order to unlock stuff for my muscle or sports cars I need to actually play in those kinds of cars...

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 02, 2015, 12:48:47 am »

Nope, multiplayer. I asked because when I bought a new property it said something about a resale or transfer but I chose 'empty' instead of my old garage... so I don't know what that was or what it did.

It's a bit annoying that I have to do races to unlock parts for my cars. Not because I have to race, necessarily, but because every race I've joined has been using the "super" cars setting and in order to unlock stuff for my muscle or sports cars I need to actually play in those kinds of cars...
You can only own 3 properties in online.  When you buy a new one you are given the option of what property slot to replace/put the new property in.  You get half the purchase price back when replacing a old property.

Also on upgrades and races, ignore the whole "# of races won in class".  It's broken; I can't confirm which things it only counts within class but for engine, brakes, transmission and turbo you can win in ANY race.  Me winning 2 bike races gave me what I needed to start installing turbo on all my cars.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 02, 2015, 12:54:01 am »

What classifies as a 'win' anyways? Do you -have- to finish first place? If it's just qualifying then I can test out if this is true.
Just did a rally race as the co-driver which was pretty fun, we both had headsets so we pretty much crushed everyone else.

EDIT: Google search says yes they do count...

As an aside, is there a way to make it so the portrait shown next to your name in notifications and such sin't just a blank face?

More edit: I just found this neat google doc which is basically a thing that should have been in the game to begin with... like, show the stats of a car when you get in, or something... this is the next best thing (with comparison options to-boot)

More editing hooray. So I found out that while in the garage you can hit Z or D-pad Down to get quick stats on cars in your garage, but unfortunately it doesn't work on cars just driving around in the world. It'd be nice to be able to know what kind of car something is without kicking the guy out of it or breaking into it first because I'm terrible at identifying cars.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:41:49 pm by OzyTheSage »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 05, 2015, 06:12:28 pm »

So, having barely played any GTA game and disappointed with the previous ones (except my phone version was good). Think I'd like this?

I bought GTA SA I think it was, on my phone (it was only 99 cents lol) and it was a lot of fun. I loved it a lot, and it had a lot of laughs too. Like the start of the game you get a bicycle and me and my wife laughed like hell lol. Except I got bored super quick because no mods. Cause, my favorite games tend to be moddable (like Skyrim, Fallout 3, New Vegas are my favorites. Witcher 2 is okay but not good modding so easy to get bored. And actually games that allow epic mods with huge modding capabilities tend to be...Bethesda games...and...Bethesda games...and...not much else that I can think of lol). Maybe medieval 2 total war/Rome total war (first one) allow pretty epic mods...but thats a different genre. Of course Dwarf Fortress...but as far as high end games go, not really anything moddable like Bethesda games :(

I bought GTA 4 on Steam and instantly regretted it. GTA SA on my phone was literally 1000 times better and it was only 99 cents lol. The camera and movement controls for GTA 4 were the worst things I've ever seen in a game and I quit out and emailed steam for a refund and they refused :( So I called my bank and did a charge back (I wanted my 40 dollars back), cause heck wasting that much money on a literally unplayable game. Biggest waste of money ever lol. At least I got it back and Steam didn't care :P They did take it off my steam game list obviously.

Starforge (think that was the name) was money better spent (kickstarted it on I think indiegogo or something) and I never played it or even installed the game, cause the game sucked and was a scam. But it was still vastly better than GTA 4.

Is GTA 5 actually good on the PC? How is the controls/movement for keyboard/mouse? Cause GTA 4 keyboard/mouse was like playing with one hand chopped off and blood going everywhere and the mouse hand had a brick tied to it.

And how is modding for PC GTA usually? I saw GTA 4 had a bunch of mods, but mods I like tend to be immersion and gameplay. Like Skyrim, I make it hardcore survival kind of gameplay. Same with Fallout 3/NV. Is modding GTA good like that? Or is it more like, the game is very hard to mod (like witcher 2) and there is mostly small mods that get released that only do minor things? I know GTA 5 is too new for anything epic, but what about past GTA games?

I did like GTA SA a lot on my phone, it was hilarious. But map was actually rather small (it was a phone game, so that is to be expected. Big map for a phone game.) and since I couldn't mod it, I got rather bored :P But it was a lot of fun for a couple weeks.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:18:30 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 05, 2015, 06:31:11 pm »

I don't really know what problem you had with GTA 4's controls but GTA 5 feels about the same.  The euphoria animations do make turning and going from walking to sprinting a little sluggish but it's natural.  Car driving is so so so much better than GTA 4 though.  You can actually drive a motorcycle at high speed for more than 30 seconds without turning yourself into ravioli
Shoes...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 05, 2015, 07:19:39 pm »

I plat GTA 5 with mouse/keyboard and a controller on my lap. Driving around with the controller is fine, as one would imagine, but I have only tried using M&KB once when I was required to shoot somebody from my car, and when I did it was easy enough to hold W as I lined up my shot. Walking around using the keyboard is not actually the keyboard's fault, as I sometimes have a bit of difficulty controlling my character (typically at walking speeds) using the controller which may sound a bit odd. You're going to be using M&KB on foot most of the time anyways because screw aiming with the analog sticks.

As far as ports go GTA 5 allows fairly decent key customization. I only wish I could rebind HOME to grenade because I like grenade set as my second left mouse button. Tapping the sprint key toggles between running and walking, and holding it down makes you sprint (I bring this up because you don't see multi-functionality keybinds like this in many other games. Maybe someday we'll have games allow you to hold W and S together to sprint, like I have set in ARMA). With the gamepad you have to hold the button to run and tapping the button repeatedly makes you sprint.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 05, 2015, 07:55:40 pm »

I don't really know what problem you had with GTA 4's controls but GTA 5 feels about the same.  The euphoria animations do make turning and going from walking to sprinting a little sluggish but it's natural.  Car driving is so so so much better than GTA 4 though.  You can actually drive a motorcycle at high speed for more than 30 seconds without turning yourself into ravioli

Well, when I tried moving the camera or my character...it was REALLY weird. I had an incredible hard time moving my character and camera going all over the place and character not going where I want him to go. Like I wanted to get in a car, but the character would instead turn weird directions. I tried shooting stuff, but that was even harder than moving my character. I can play FPS just fine, just camera/movement was horrible for me. I tried for three days (first day I spent an hour, second I spent 8 hours and 3rd I spent 6 hours) trying to get it to work. But I read that a lot of people had similar camera/movement issues. So I just ended up getting my money back as there was no way I was going to get used to the camera/movement.

I read it was vastly better with a controller, but with a keyboard/mouse it was confusing as heck. It was like trying to play Dark Souls (first one) without a controller xD
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 05, 2015, 08:16:37 pm »

I have not had any issues with the camera in GTA, mouse or not. Walking around at slow speeds seems to be the only issue I've had so far as you don't turn on a dime or float around like you would in some other games. I have vsync turned off and haven't noticed any glaring camera or mouse stuttering/lag, though I did have to turn the mouse sensitivity in the game almost all the way up. Next time I play I'm going to see if there's a 'windows mouse' option because I think it's using something else right now.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 06, 2015, 03:44:26 am »

Character movement in GTA 4 and 5 is "weird" on purpouse.
They are supposed to have a delay to make the character move more humanlike so they don't do 360 degree spins in inder 1 second.
Compare it to CJ in san andreas. If you run roght and suddently change your mind and turn left CJ will turn almost instantly.
Do it with any character from GTA 4 or 5 and they will slowly turn. Not awkwardly mind you. They will turn like an actual human would but it feels disgustingly sluggish in a game.

Simply put GTA 4 and 5 are... too well animated.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 06, 2015, 03:54:36 am »

Typically the way the character moves is fine, but if you miss a door by a few inches, for example, they look really clumsy when you try to get them angled right to actually go through it.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 06, 2015, 04:06:39 pm »

Maybe it was the slow character movements/animations that made the camera and movement so horrible for me. Guess I'd have same problem with GTA 5.

Not really the most realistic thing though to slowly turn. In real life, I turn corners pretty quick and can spin around rather fast. When I went to lazer tag, people moved like most FPS games would do it. Same with other people I know in real life, they don't just slowly turn around. They usually move really quick. Maybe that is why the controls and what not were so weird to me. I guess they aimed at realism, but forgot that people can move and turn quickly :P But if its same as GTA 5, I probably wouldn't ever get used to it. That was a game breaker for me in GTA 4. I try to get in a door (like above poster said) and miss it...then it was really weird trying to get my character through the door after missing it. I try to get in a car, but again, the movement/camera or whatever was so weird I had a super hard time getting in a car. I spent 3 days trying to get used to it, but in the end, I gave up lol.

I do remember trying to find a mod or fix for the horrible camera/animation/movement or whatever the issue is...but all I saw was a bunch of people with the same issue. :(
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:08:49 pm by Vendayn »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38