Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suggested Embark-Items?  (Read 2471 times)

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggested Embark-Items?
« on: August 02, 2013, 05:05:30 am »

Using the Lazy Newb Pack (Dwarf Therapist only, might I add.), with 50 points left, what items should I send with my dwarves?

Do note, that the place has a mountainside, plentiful trees and plants, and soil and clay, flux and metals along with a river.

¤MASTERWORK¤ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Suggested Embark-Items?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 05:08:08 am »

50 points isn't much, it's enough to carry some ores and coal, though. What goal do you have in mind for the fortress? I usually just fill excess points with wood so I can ignore woodcutting for a while, and it allow me to be able to drill through aquifier without stone.

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 05:17:44 am »

I actually plan on trying harder this go around. Last time I just followed the guides, which was okay, but if I keep doing that then where's the fun?

I think my goal this time, is to try and get more clothes for the dwarves to make them happy mainly. That's really the only change this time. And different booze. Mainly booze.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 07:01:28 am »

Then more seeds is what I'd go with with that goal in mind, with aim toward expanding clothing and farming industry as much as possible for practice :D

Maybe with an eye on potash fertilizing, but normal farm already overproduce routinely and it takes a lot of wood to keep up.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 07:10:13 am »

Knowing you have 50 spare points isn't really much.

What is that your trying to accomplish with this fort? What are you spending your other embark points on?

Keep in mind, you can cut a lot of edges with the kind of stuff you bring with your initial dwarves in order to have more points to spend on stuff you actually need.

I.e. I usually have plenty of points to bring the tools I need, cats + dogs, poultry (9 chickens + 9 turkeys including cocks), some wood, lots of seeds/meat/booze and basically everything else I need to bootstrap a functional fort in relatively little time.
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

Juxtap0se

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 07:34:35 am »

turkeys. if you have those already, 1 coke and some coal. if you have that already, seeds. don't forget 1 each of some unusual things (1 cloth of each kind, leather, glass, etc.) for the unexpected early strange mood. oh, and cave lobsters for their shells
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three.
Elayne Boosler

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 07:44:05 am »

The main animals I get are breeding pair of dogs (Just one, dogplosions), breeding pair of cats, and turkey gobblers and hens.

For the items, I don't get a lot of seeds (Which is a stupid thing to do).

For what I want to accomplish is actually surviving for the first Goblin siege. I've never undergone a siege yet.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 07:47:16 am »

The main animals I get are breeding pair of dogs (Just one, dogplosions), breeding pair of cats, and turkey gobblers and hens.

For what I want to accomplish is actually surviving for the first Goblin siege. I've never undergone a siege yet.

Simple survival isn't difficult, bring some rocks to make mechanisms out of, chop down trees to make walls and bridge, seal yourself in. Actually outright defeating them involves traps if military's not very good.

Siege only comes at 80+ population and decent wealth and trade, at least that I've found.

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 08:03:19 am »

Simple survival isn't difficult, bring some rocks to make mechanisms out of, chop down trees to make walls and bridge, seal yourself in. Actually outright defeating them involves traps if military's not very good.

Siege only comes at 80+ population and decent wealth and trade, at least that I've found.

My main problem with survival is alcohol. I live near a river and all, but water doesn't keep dwarves happy for long.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 08:13:17 am »

My main problem with survival is alcohol. I live near a river and all, but water doesn't keep dwarves happy for long.

I'm guessing you keep runs out of barrel/pot or forget to brew? I have a dedicated stockpile for only drinks and dedicated stockpile to collect empty barrels and pots so I can see at a glance if I need to brew more. It also goes hand in hand with farming, bigger plant stacks means more booze in the keg in one shot, which means longer before it's emptied out. I try to keep booze stockpile filled to more than half of fortress' population in numbers of barrel/pot.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 09:10:54 am »

Okay, so I'll rather give you a few general tips rather than specific embark set-ups.

I'm with what Automa said, you should definitely keep a closer look over your food/booze pipeline. Remember you can use the Status Screen (z) to very easily check how your stocks are doing at every point in the game (you'll need a bookkeeper to have exact figures though, although that's hardly a need while your fort is still young).

If you're having a hard time with food/booze, it's worth bringing more with you at embark time. With experience and time, you'll get a feel for the minimum amount of stuff you need to take depending on the embark location, but in the mean time you don't need to put yourself in a worse spot than you need to, so just bring whatever amount makes you confident.

I would suggest bringing 5 to 9 seeds for every crop available. Also, be sure to disable cooking of plump helmets, as eating and brewing leaves a seed behind, while cooking doesn't.

Setting up a farm to produce all the food/booze you need is actually very easy. I like building 3x3 plots, as this way I can have multiple plots producing the same crop or change my mind and add more diversity on a whim, without having to build more plots. In the very beginning, you only really need a single 3x3 plot producing plump helmets all year round to feed your initial dwarves, but you do want to add more over time to keep up with the growing population and also the ability to grow different crops for various things.

Just keep checking how your doing with food/prepared meals and booze every once in a while and you'll soon be able by just looking at the pattern if you need to farm more stuff or to add more cooking/brewing jobs.

As for the rest of your embark points, you can actually free up more points by being clever with what you pick to bring.

Since you're embarking in a place with lots of wood, I suggest you go without a xbow and bolts. You can very easily produce those on site. I suggest you still bring 2 to 3 quivers though, as leather is not that plentiful a resource until the first caravan arrives or unless you opt to rely on hunting. Once your dwarves hit the land, just enable the bowier and woodcrafter jobs on a dwarf of your choice and make a couple wooden xbows and a few stacks of wooden bolts. You can very quickly set up a primitive metal industry to produce metal bolts and equipment if you really need to (chances are you wont, unless you need to face very aggressive wildlife).

Furthermore, you can save even more points by taking the cheaper cave spider silk thread/cloth/bags/ropes in place of the default pig tails equivalent.

I'd still bring 5 emergency logs from the embark screen (you never know).

As to surviving until the first siege hits, it shouldn't really be that hard if you focus on food/booze production and basic defense. Just pick a strategy you like (I suggest long corridor full o' traps leading to the inner fort or fortified wall perimeter with marksdwarves on top). You don't absolutely need to rush building defenses, or the military, in spite of everything else your fort needs, but you do want to keep in mind having some working defense is a goal you want to work towards as more migrants arrive.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 09:23:07 am »

Oh and btw, producing wooden stuff (splints, crutches, buckets, wheelbarrows) on site rather than buying those in the embark screen will help you spend more embark points on other useful stuff too

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 10:47:28 am »

Thank you Bandreus, that will really be handy. I guess I never really thought of doing that.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 10:56:06 am »

Since you're embarking in a place with lots of wood, I suggest you go without a xbow and bolts. You can very easily produce those on site. I suggest you still bring 2 to 3 quivers though, as leather is not that plentiful a resource until the first caravan arrives or unless you opt to rely on hunting. Once your dwarves hit the land, just enable the bowier and woodcrafter jobs on a dwarf of your choice and make a couple wooden xbows and a few stacks of wooden bolts. You can very quickly set up a primitive metal industry to produce metal bolts and equipment if you really need to (chances are you wont, unless you need to face very aggressive wildlife).

Furthermore, you can save even more points by taking the cheaper cave spider silk thread/cloth/bags/ropes in place of the default pig tails equivalent.

I'd still bring 5 emergency logs from the embark screen (you never know).

Leather are cheaper to bring in uncrafted form, setting up leather shop will allow bags and quivers to be made from at least twice as much leather with same embark point. Ropes will still need threads, so the silk advice works :D

Though buying and using some animals are even more economical still, but with some set-up, to provide food and leather and bone can be made into bolts. Bone bolts are somewhat more effective than wood bolt. I don't usually buy animals out of laziness, but extra dogs and birds wouldn't hurt.

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 10:58:47 am »

Current layout of items -

2 Copper Picks
Iron Anvil
3 leather quivers
one training axe
15 plumphelmet spawns
17 pig tail seeds