Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Help me get Loincloth fit in ten months (serious)  (Read 9851 times)

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
Re: Help me get Loincloth fit in ten months (serious)
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2013, 06:51:06 pm »

Draignean, we all wanna hear a fucking update!

How the hell is Physical Training going?
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2013, 01:31:28 pm »

Also, run run run run run!!! Cant stress running enough!!!!

You need to run at least 4-8 Miles a day. EVERY DAY, take one day of the weak as an off day.

Running is worst possible way for weight loss, bad for joints and huge time sink. And for overweight people it's almost manslaughter. Negatives so huge it's not even funny. It's a cardio in its finest and designed for hearth health (debatable here as well) and increasing VO. Not for weight loss. Calories burned is negligible and no post effect at all.

I don't know where you getting your information, but it's like half century outdated and bad advice in general. There is PLENTY credible information, full of beochemistry geekness and awesomness to be found on net, ignore all that prime coaches with videos and paid stuff and go all the way to pure science. It's hard read, but it's full of gold.
I don't want to look up it again, but I did my math already. Long story short. Again. Anaerobics kill aerobics for weight loss, period. It's harder, but faster. It's challenging, but worth it.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2013, 04:38:52 pm »

Draignean, we all wanna hear a fucking update!

How the hell is Physical Training going?

Incredibly Short update.

Measured start weight 313 (Little worse than I thought I was). Current weight, 292 pounds. So I'm down 21 pounds over fifty~ days. Which is, from what I've heard, pretty decent. I'm happy so far.

My weight was decreasing faster, but college has put me back into bad habits. Not actively going out and exercising much. (I haven't gone to the gym in two weeks and change), I eat once a day again (hardly healthily), so I'm sure I can do better. However, between stress and my schedule, I'm actually doing a lot better than I expected.

I have given all forms of soda entirely, and my one meal of the day is now lunch instead of dinner. Those are really the only two changes I've made stick completely.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2013, 07:35:37 pm »

How much do you weigh gogis?

How much do you run gogis?

How often do you even excerise gogis?

Cause I weigh 135 - 5'7"

I run 6 miles a day.

I exercise 4 hours a day.

I used to weigh 180.

I used to run nothing.

I used to never exercise.
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2013, 07:36:34 pm »

Good Job Degain,

sodas are definitely hard to quit.

And you seem to have something thats working for you!!

-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2013, 07:37:59 pm »

Well, its better than some of us. Good work! Lucky sod...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2013, 08:11:24 pm »

Cause I weigh 135 - 5'7"

I run 6 miles a day.

I used to weigh 180.

I used to run nothing.

Muscle burns fat.  :)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2013, 09:36:33 pm »

Having an energy deficit burns fat. It doesn't matter what you do to create that deficit. 500 calories burned from jogging is the same as 500 calories burned from lifting weights, which is the same as 500 calories burned from cycling. As long as you're eating less than you're burning, you're burning fat. The opposite goes for gaining weight.

As for what's easier or more efficient, the best way to do it is combine a variety of exercises. Jogging alone can get you results, but not as easily as jogging and weight lifting alone. No single exercise is the complete workout, but if you were to just do one, I'd recommend Zumba (Cardio dancing). I wish I were kidding.

And I believe Draignean already mentioned that jogging is out of the question, and I'm inclined to agree. The more you weigh, the more potential there is for joint damage. If I remember the numbers, the typical jogger drops about three or four times their body weight on their knees. I can't remember how much force our knees are designed to take, but folks weighing 150 - 200 don't have a lot to worry about as long as they aren't stomping on the ground. People who weigh more have to change their natural jogging stride or risk joint damage. Generally, the quieter you run and the less of a jolt you feel while landing, the less pressure you're putting on your knees.

In any case, Draig's making pretty good progress on what he's got, and he's losing weight at a healthy pace. Keep up the good work!

Out of curiosity, have you noticed any energy/mood differences since you started?
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2013, 09:49:26 pm »

Out of curiosity, have you noticed any energy/mood differences since you started?

I have an unending feeling of acute inadequacy, perpetual exhaustion, and a growing sense of general apathy.

I think that's engineering college though, not the weight loss. :P
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2013, 06:10:10 am »

Having just read the OP, I feel the need to pipe up.

If you're willing and or able, get/use a bicycle. They've done wonders for me, both emotionally from all the endorphins flowin', and physically. It's fairly easy on your heart, especially if you use a geared bike - i usually ride between 10 and 30km in a given day, and it makes me feel great.

I'm 5'11, 6'0 or something (180cm) and 85kg (i dunno, what... 170-190 lbs roughly?), and I've found, by far the best and simplest way of getting energy out of cheap food is brown rice, as was stated earlier, or quinoa. Both of them have very high protein by weight - and are pretty easy to make delicious with basic supplements (chili, tofu, stuff like that). They both cook very quick too, and keep a coupla days when refrigerated after cooking.

As to actual musculature, I'm so-so- I can hardly lift weights, but i'm not weak - i have shoulder injuries, so I limit myself to bicep curls.

I find the endorphins from cycling offset the exhaustion - plus cycling on my commute gives me time to think, and feel more energised than catching the train.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2013, 01:36:32 pm »

Cause I weigh 135 - 5'7"

I run 6 miles a day.

I used to weigh 180.

I used to run nothing.

You are way underweight right now  ;D

For starters, I dont care your stats/BFP. And I don't care my stats, and I dont excercise, I smoke, I drink, I eat unhealthy and lead sedentary lifestyle.
But luckily, I made my homework, and I had great results, when I cared. I had 2 years of gymnastics, 3 years of olympic weight lifting and 5 years of soccer and then 4 years of weight lifting. I just can't stand sports anymore and I carelessly live my life now. But, I am also scientific and analytical person with degree in computer science. I can't stand bad approach. And your approach is bad. Suboptimal, to say least.

I just stated that jogging is inefficient and potentially injuring excercise. Period. It's pure science. You run 6 miles and excercise 4 hours EVERY DAY? 30 min 3 times a week of weight lifting will put you into same level of energy expedinture. I am not even talking about how dangerous jogging for overweight person. Bad advice is always bad advice, and your stats here is not changing anything.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2013, 09:05:59 pm »

Several experts have stated that while running can cause joint damage if done improperly, most people who claim running causes joint damage have previous injuries or arthritis - Neither of which are caused directly by running, but are sure indicators that a person shouldn't be running. That doesn't make running bad for people who don't have those problems. In fact, running may help people who are in danger of developing arthritis later in life.

You're also wrong in that weight lifting burns more calories. This weight calculator even puts jogging over "vigorous weightlifting" for calories burned. Other sources drop running a mile at burning about 100 calories for every mile. I found one good article on calories burned lifting weights here, which puts lifting weights at burning 250 - 450 calories an hour depending on the intensity. If you run about a mile in ten minutes, you'll burn 1000 calories in an hour. That's two to four times the number of calories burned, and a ten-minute mile isn't considered all that fast. You won't look like the Terminator if all you do is run, but there are worse things you could do for your health.

Concerning sub optimal workouts, that last article also mentions this: "... research has indicated that combining cardio with regular weight training burns more fat " - IE Calories - " overall than if you just performed weight training alone, or only cardio." So yes, his workout isn't optimal for burning calories. Just not in the way you're claiming.

Also, BMI isn't the way determine whether someone is a healthy weight or not. There's a lot more factors than BMI takes into account. Sure, BMI is an indicator of health, but it doesn't tell you how healthy you are. It ignores heart health, diet, and doesn't differentiate between fat and muscle. Rather than stressing over your BMI, it'd be better to just focus on being healthier in general - Aim to keep your fat levels healthy, exercise, eat well, and you'll be alright. Your exercise and diet shouldn't start and end with making your BMI "ideal". This article talks a bit about it.

It's pure science - Now with citations.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2013, 06:51:47 pm »

PTW - especially the final preacher/loincloth pics :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2013, 12:33:35 am »

Well, think of what most people have for breakfast.

Eggs, pancakes, syrup, sugary cereal, milk, orange juice, maybe some coffee with sugar and cream... Even the healthier meals are high in carbs and they tend to get a lot of sugar added to them to make them palatable. Most yogurts have more sugar in them than soda does. Even those handy-dandy breakfast bars are hunks of pure calories. I don't have the numbers handy, but you might as well eat a Snickers if you down a breakfast bar - And breakfast bars are smaller.

If you balanced your breakfast out and added some more proteins, fewer fats, and less processed sugar, you'd probably be alright. The standard Western breakfast is a hard habit to overcome, though.

The only thing I don't recommend is downgrading to low-fat milk, because that's just nasty.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2013, 12:35:14 am »

Is that seriously what most people eat for breakfast?  I usually have beans and brown rice, or an egg with a slice of whole wheat toast.  And water.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7