Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 40

Author Topic: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]  (Read 84639 times)

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2 [9/23/2015 - Expansion Announced]
« Reply #480 on: October 21, 2015, 12:34:20 am »

Yep.  In vanilla they're just 'an invisible part of the ship' which has static performance across all ships.

You could even call it a 'side effect' of the ship being well ... a ship.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 12:43:45 am by Firgof Umbra »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 21, 2015, 02:11:33 am »

With sensors, I like to imagine that the ships have windows (which some visually do) or that the sensors are abstracted away into the base design.

I'm not sure how I feel about them being required, but it is a side-effect of playing the mod.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 28, 2015, 02:23:09 pm »

Still not much to report about the expansion other than it's getting bulkier and bulkier.  We recently pushed a large graphical overhaul into the game's models and shaders so it should look a lot prettier by the time that expansion hits.

We've also improved some stuff like how the AI builds its ships and responds to diplomacy as folks have been asking for that - that'll be included in a patch for the base game that'll be put out around the same time as the expansion.

In the meanwhile, the game is currently heavily discounted for those who're still sitting on the fence.  It's presently 60% off ($9.99) and'll revert back to its normal price on December 1st.  I'll let you guys know about any other developments regarding the expansion or the studio's future as things develop.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 02:57:42 pm by Firgof Umbra »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2 [11/28/2015 - 60% off until Dec 1st]
« Reply #483 on: November 29, 2015, 12:30:57 am »

I'm eagerly awaiting some new content for the game. Not really one for playing against other people, but that AI can leave much to be desired on some fronts.

I would ask for the ability to turn off annexing from game options, though. It's annoying when a roughly equal sized enemy empire decides to vassalize themselves to another enemy. But in the end it usually doesn't matter all too much.

I have a few friends that are big fans of similar fare, and am trying to get them to purchase this, if not now then during the inevitable Winter sale.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #484 on: November 29, 2015, 01:02:37 pm »

Did you push the update on GoG too? I've got it through GoG Galaxy and it doesn't look like it's updated anything.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 29, 2015, 01:17:47 pm »

You may need to manually update the game if you're on the GoG release.  All that's necessary is allowing SR2 to go online and then telling it to check for updates.  It should detect the new patch, download it for you, and so forth.

If you're on version 1.0.3 you're on the current version.  The version I discussed above won't be released until the expansion hits.

Edit: Oops.  1.0.3 - not 1.0.2.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 01:37:25 pm by Firgof Umbra »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #486 on: November 29, 2015, 01:35:25 pm »

Something I have wondered for a while, and wanted. Do you guys have any plans on putting in point defense systems or fighters or any other kind of submunition systems?

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 29, 2015, 01:44:32 pm »

point defense systems or fighters or any other kind of submunition systems
I dunno.  That would depend on what you define as 'submunition' I suppose.

Active point defense probably won't ever be in the cards though - it's just too computationally expensive against our current targeted hardware specification.  At least, not in the form folks would like it to be (actual munitions tracked and fired from actual subsystems fired against actual incoming munitions which actually get hit/deflected/damaged/explode) as because beyond even HW issues it'd occasionally 'not fire on incoming projectiles', or choose the wrong projectile to fire at (firing at the railgun shot a million miles away rather than the torpedo that's about to strike) due to how our targeting algorithm works.

(For those interested on how the targeting algorithm works: http://www.befuddlement.org/blog/2015/1/14/fast-approximation-of-nearest-neighbors)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 01:58:02 pm by Firgof Umbra »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #488 on: November 29, 2015, 03:49:40 pm »

Are those drones? Are we getting some kind of drone system? eee

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 29, 2015, 04:59:22 pm »

Mhmm I grabbed it in the sale, but apperently I am already failing at the first possible step. In the training, I'm trying to upgrade a planet to level 1, right? So i colonize it and let the other planet (afterwards, planets) export to it, so it has its needed resources. For 2 "hours" it has now received every resource the training mission offers and is still level 0 ...

Edit: Apperently I just had to wait 3 hours...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 05:00:57 pm by ThtblovesDF »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #490 on: November 29, 2015, 05:13:38 pm »

Mhmm I grabbed it in the sale, but apperently I am already failing at the first possible step. In the training, I'm trying to upgrade a planet to level 1, right? So i colonize it and let the other planet (afterwards, planets) export to it, so it has its needed resources. For 2 "hours" it has now received every resource the training mission offers and is still level 0 ...

Edit: Apperently I just had to wait 3 hours...
Likely you needed to wait for population growth. Population is one of the requirements for various levels and exploitation of the resources on the planets.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 29, 2015, 05:27:47 pm »

And population growth is negatively impacted by having a debt, so if you're in the red then your people won't bang.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 29, 2015, 07:14:26 pm »

A new teaser image for the expansion appears!
The expansion will come with a big batch of new graphics assets and quality improvements by our peerless artist Jon Micheelsen. Some of which will also be available in the updated vanilla game, such as this new mining base shown on asteroids being mined.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 30, 2015, 03:57:47 am »

Hmm, do you think you guys will put the base game on sale again when the expansion is released? I bought the game at launch, but I have a friend who might be interested once the expansion hits. Not sure if I should just pick up the base game for him now or hold off for a bit.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 30, 2015, 03:27:02 pm »

If this game is getting an expansion which has more content than its last update, I'll pick it up again. I felt that this game could really be up there with Stardrive 2 (which is a shit game in certain ways, but one of the best TBSS games out there).

+1 on the diplomacy - it's my favorite feature by far.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 40