Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 40

Author Topic: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]  (Read 84533 times)

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2 [7/18/14 - Early Access Launched!]
« Reply #255 on: August 04, 2014, 09:28:36 am »

Nice list.

I would add that Moo2 also a good planet value system. Just the right balance so you aren't screwed over by a bad start(most of the time) and likely enough to throw a few treasure planet that are sure to spark some tensions between neighbors.

I would also add Sword of the Stars
Pro - Excellent tech tree, decent space combat, good AI (after a bunch of patches), interesting FTL travel diversity
Con - Awful interface, bad audio, bland planets.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 04, 2014, 10:14:09 am »

A few comments on those games:

MoO 2's biggest problem, IMHO, is that the AI isn't smart enough to deal with the player doing anything clever. For example, building a fleet composed entirely of ships which capture the AI's ships. It's obviously possible to mitigate this strategy by modifying your ship designs, or sending fleets composed of lots of tiny ships instead of a few larger ships, but the AI does not do either.

Also, I don't the interface in Sword of the Stars was anywhere near awful. Unless, of course, you're talking about SotS II, in which case I fully agree. I can't fathom how it went from an intuitive interface in SotS I to one that constantly fights to keep you from doing what you want to do in SotS II.

(I didn't read the rest of the thread, so I have no comment on it. I was really looking for news on SR2 on the last two pages. :V)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 14, 2014, 11:13:58 pm »

We've pushed another patch out to the stable branch.  Patch notes available here.

To celebrate the launch of our third patch here are three redeemable keys for Star Ruler 2.  Be courteous to your fellow Dwarves/Elves/Humans/Goblins/Terrifying Beasts of Yore and please post whenever you've taken one and which one you've taken.  We hope you all enjoy this update to the game and look forward to reading your feedback and reactions.

IMFKH-D86XR-JYLE6  Urist McScoopBeard has obtained the book 'The Second Star of Ruling'.  Urist McScoopBeard has learned a new skill: Planetary Destruction.
QFF9E-QT7H8-7A0TJ On the Key is an image of TripJack laughing.  The Dwarves cower in fear.  The Planet is exploding.
Z8D6Q-PFEV2-68QIW "Thief!  Protect the Horde from the Skulking Filth!"  A nameless kobold has stolen the last key from our hold!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:13:32 am by Firgof Umbra »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 14, 2014, 11:21:48 pm »

First one taken, sorry folks!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 14, 2014, 11:46:47 pm »

Thanks, grabbed the second.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 15, 2014, 12:07:10 am »

Well that was fast!  I hope y'all enjoy the game, such as it is.
There are many more updates to come and tomorrow those of y'all who weren't lucky enough to have been on to snag a key but wanted to check the game out are nonetheless in luck!

Tomorrow (August 15th) at 4PM EDT/10PM CEST we will be holding a Free For All match as part of a new thing we're starting: "Dev-astation Fridays".  Each Friday we'll host a game where y'all can play with us devs.  The rules and so forth will change each week and be announced at the top of the Steam Community Discussion board. 

Though the game will be closed to spectators who wish to watch from inside Star Ruler 2, we will stream it through our official Twitch channel as well.  We will also post the match to YouTube -- which gives us extra incentive to be at the top of our game! :D

We hope some of y'all will drop by and/or participate - with Drasca and SanderB (both of them are A-list players in the community at this time) both potentially playing in the game it's going to be one hell of a match.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 15, 2014, 06:46:31 am »

•Empires now need to make first contact before doing diplomacy.

O.o *hugs Firgof* YOU DO LISTEN TO MY SUGGESTIONS! :D
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 15, 2014, 10:22:57 am »

Of course we do.  Not all suggestions will make it into the game though.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 16, 2014, 06:19:25 pm »

We've sent out another Star Ruler 2 update to be transmitted into space by wifi routers everywhere. Read about some of the highlights below, or click this link for a full detailed changelog.

Major New Stuff!
* Ships are no longer constricted to predefined hulls.
* We have introduced a Game Settings tab to the New Game window, allowing you to further customize your game universe.
* Community tab which lets you upload, comment, download, and rate other people's designs.
* A victory screen, complete with a statistical breakdown showing how the universe ended.
* Planets have gained "conditions" - unique properties which add to the planet's natural resource(s).
* A new galaxy type: Dumbbell

We've also updated the AI to be a stronger challenge against players and taught it how to understand more of the game and removed the distance cost from Fling beacons (now it only costs an FTL amount proportionate to the ship's size!)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 18, 2014, 07:45:12 am »

Glad to see this is still updating, though admittedly I'm still entirely unimpressed with the technology stuff. Any ETA on a overhaul?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #265 on: October 22, 2014, 05:09:43 am »

We've sent out another Star Ruler 2 update to be transmitted into space by wifi routers everywhere. Read about some of the highlights below, or click this link for a full detailed changelog.

Major New Stuff!
* Ships are no longer constricted to predefined hulls.

I still can't wrap my head around this.

I mean, I'm blown away. This is simply bat-shit insane awesome, if I understand it correctly.

So what you are telling me I can basically create any (2D) shape I want, and the game will translate it to 3D (well, add depth, no more than that I guess; spherical ships are forever out of favor in 4x games), apply appropriate textures and voila, a new ship? 

I like it. A lot.:o
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 22, 2014, 09:22:12 am »

Nope.

Just double checked. You can change the hull design (weapon placements, maybe make an arm somewhere with a supply storage), but it isn't reflected in the 3D model. However, the design layout still matters for combat (arcs of weapons + directional damage).

"The engine will automatically select the ship model from your shipset closest to the shape you drew. "
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #267 on: October 22, 2014, 09:26:30 am »

Aaaaaaaah.

Oh well, it sounded too good to be true. Thanks for clearing it up.

Still, this game seems to be coming along quite nicely and I'm well pleased with that.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Trevasaurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 29, 2015, 07:14:36 am »

Just bought this game today and it is awesome! I played a bunch of hours on the first star ruler and while the idea of huge procedural galaxies and unending research trees sounded really cool on paper the game itself felt like it lacked anything to really draw the player into what was going on. Everything was a little too abstracted away. Star Ruler 2 seems to have changed things in all the right directions. I have only messed around in one game so far but I've been having a great time with it. I am a big fan of the way you upgrade planets by setting up trade routes to bring them ever increasing amounts of resources from across your empire. In addition you can build mining facilities on asteroids to add bonuses (extra population, more labour) to planets. By the time I was working on upgrading to a level 4 planet I really felt a connection to the little interstellar empire I was building.

I haven't messed around with combat too much yet but I like the idea of having flagships as the anchor to fleets, cutting down on the micromanagement aspect, which can return to friendly space to rearm and replace any losses of the smaller fleet ships without a lot of direct involvement from me. The auto-building system defense fleets are also a nice touch and help to reduce the micromanagement levels again by providing a protective buffer to your systems while you are focused on the other side of the galaxy.

One last note, I was messing around with the galaxy generation to create a slightly larger map for a more serious game now that I have the basics down and created a galactic cluster of 10 separate galaxies each one home to between 50 - 100 star systems. While I'm sure my computer would melt trying to play a game with such a huge amount of real estate the mere fact that the generator can handle HUGE (think billions of systems) galaxies and even better multi-galatic environments is really cool.

Props to the developers, this is already a lot of fun to play I cant wait to see what it's like once it is finished.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #269 on: January 29, 2015, 09:42:25 am »

I'd be up for a multiplayer game of this some time if anyone else is interested. Some of the new stuff added is interesting, like unexportable resources which give bigger and bigger bonuses the more you upgrade the planet they are on.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 40