Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 40

Author Topic: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]  (Read 84613 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Star Ruler 2
« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2014, 08:30:17 pm »

Got some fresh screenshots for y'all.  Updating the main post with links to 'em.
Disclaimer: Most art shown not final, especially the ship, diplomacy card, and race art which are all stand-in dev-art
Looking good! That diplomacy interface is making me salivate.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:06:15 pm by forsaken1111 »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2 [5/9/14 - New screenshots!]
« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2014, 08:53:41 pm »

Hex based ship component placement?

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2014, 09:26:18 pm »

i am realy looking forward to this game!
i usually dont spoil my games by playing betas (or even alphas) - in the end, there is only so much time one can spend on a single game before it gets borring.

but i may make an exeption on this one, if only i like buying stuff from studios i like :)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2014, 02:27:09 am »

I'm hoping that the hexes will stop the piling up of all components under a giant lump of armour. How does the layout of the hexes work?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2
« Reply #169 on: May 10, 2014, 08:43:18 am »

SpaceSector has put up an interview we did over e-mail that y'all might find interesting. Included with the interview are some freshly minted shots of the game, including a sneak peak at the new iteration of the diplomacy system.

Check it out!

Awesome.

Quick question though. You mentioned the Galactic Senate. Will this exist from the start or will it form organically as races discover each other?
This was one of my gripes about GalCiv2, the idea that some galactic democracy essentially formed overnight. I mean, that should be vaguely possible, but to me it seems just as likely that it would take alien races years to come together on that scale.

It would be interesting to play a part in the formation of such a thing, as it would also be interesting to randomly stumble on a fully formed one if you slack off on the exploration.
Heck, if you really wanted to impress me then the idea of fully separate "Galactic Senates" forming in different spots of the galaxy would be pretty awesome, and be very interesting when they meet and realize they didn't vote the same way on certain issues :P

Note: I am so glad I get to run ideas by you while you develop this :3

*AHEM*
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2014, 09:20:41 am »

Hex based ship component placement?

Yes. It comes with some nice tools to make putting them together fast and intuitive.

I'm hoping that the hexes will stop the piling up of all components under a giant lump of armour. How does the layout of the hexes work?

Ship design hasn't yet been finalized so I'm not sure I can definitively say how the layouts work except that they're based on the 3D model each is assigned to.

You mentioned the Galactic Senate. Will this exist from the start or will it form organically as races discover each other?
I'll ask to see what Reaper intends but I wouldn't count on 'separate Galactic Senates'.  Whether or not races will always be a member of it at game-start is something I do not know but will ask about.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2014, 10:07:23 am »

I've a far more infrequent poster on this forum than i once was, so im late to this thread. I played this game quite a bit back when the 1st version was in beta and then released and in some respects it is my favourite space 4x game, in other respects i hate it.

I loved the ship building system, i loved the the full 3d seamless galaxy map, i loved the proper physics ship movement. It gives me that Alastair Reynolds or Ian M Banks space opera feel in away  that no other game really has.

I hated the fact that like many 4x games winning is basically a case of solving the production expansion research equation so that your empire expands faster with better tech and more monies that your opponents. The game i felt basically had a lot of great chrome, but underneath boiled down to whether you could micro manage your empire well enough to get you 3 tech levels ahead of your opposition and smash them. Often the actual military maneuvers and ship designs were slightly irrelevant if someone was a tech level or few ahead of you.

What i would like, is not to have to solve that equation at all, and basically just make strategic decisions on the direction of my economy or technology rather than good/bad decisions that effectively eliminate me from the game before the fighting ever starts.

Also i look forward to an improved diplomatic model/system.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2014, 01:41:30 pm »

What i would like, is not to have to solve that equation at all, and basically just make strategic decisions on the direction of my economy or technology rather than good/bad decisions that effectively eliminate me from the game before the fighting ever starts.
I completely agree - I always feel that 4x games have the problem of just a race to the finish with tech and just getting more production capacity - rather than actual tactics and skill. There's also the problem of getting to that sort of 3/4 endgame where you've effectively won as you will just eventually be able to out produce the enemy.
GalCiv2 dealt with this via game changing end game events (sometimes a bit annoying) and sometimes giving losing empires something random and good (a great ship, loads of resources or something) but the same problem still persisted.

All I'm saying really is that it'd be nice to have a more tactical game where victory isn't such a linear path
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2014, 01:43:44 pm »

Distant Worlds handles a lot of that nicely. You can play the game mostly hands-off making strategic and policy decisions. If you don't want to handle it, the AI will make reasonable choices on where to colonize and where to set up mining depots and even does passably well at executing wars and will autobuild the fleets as well.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2014, 02:16:14 pm »

Your strategy will be important in SR2. 

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2014, 04:05:07 pm »

Distant Worlds handles a lot of that nicely.
and yet, it fails so hard at the same time.
what makes this game unfun for me, is just event overload. especially later game, the game will spam new notifications with such an insane frequency, that it becomes almost impossible to focuss on a task or filter important notifications form unimportant ones.
and pausing the game every odd second isnt fun neither.
that certainly is something i dont want to see in any other game again.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2014, 04:46:22 pm »

Distant worlds did somethings very well. It made the galaxy most interesting to explore, and it had the dooms day weapon hidden somewhere for you to go salvage which was fun and gave the game character. Also i did like the abstraction of the tech tree and the fact that most of the economy was out of your hands. However you did still have to micro manage expansion (you could let the AI make a mess of it if you want) and you did still have to build a load of science stations around black holes.

There were a lot of things i liked about distant worlds but i still sort of found it annoying.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2014, 05:40:47 pm »

I liked a lot about Distant worlds, especially the fact that the AI could do a lot of the automation, but somehow it didn't all fit together well for me. Most of it was that late game it just had way too much minor stuff that needed doing/notifications, and also because it always seemed kinda hard to know how things were going all together.

My biggest request for star ruler would be to have it less about complete domination but more about building up a proper empire that all works. A lot of 4x games start like that, with diplomacy and a balanced start, but they always devolve into having to just dominate everything militarily/through tech. Even games like GalCiv2 which did relatively diplomacy/allies/cultural stuff quite well, still always ended in a final scrap between the last two races left.

I know a lot of people like the finalization of destroying everyone else, but I'd love to have an empire management game in a similar vein to sim city (with combat) where it's about sustaining a working empire rather than just blasting your foe to bits.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 20, 2014, 06:06:57 pm »

We have a new dev diary for y'all (albeit a bit on the short side) about Energy.
Additionally, we'll be streaming this Friday at 7 PM EDT to show off new features of the game. As with the prior stream it will also be recorded and posted in the OP when the recording is available. Our twitch page is here if you'd like to bookmark it in advance.

If there are any particular things you'd like us to go over during the stream please feel free to request them!

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 23, 2014, 06:49:43 pm »

The stream is live! Come on by and join us. 

The stream is over!

I'll edit in a link to the recorded stream in this post when it becomes available.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 08:19:06 pm by Firgof Umbra »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 40