Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40

Author Topic: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]  (Read 84659 times)

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2014, 11:48:58 am »

will carrier be more tuneable this time around?
Carriers will likely be handled differently to avoid unnecessary micromanagement -- however, at this time I'm afraid I can't say anything specific about them as they've yet to be nailed down in the design.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2014, 02:51:22 pm »

may i ask something here, i've never played the first game but from what i have researched about it sounds really interesting, i want to know, if players can destroy orbital bodies, would they be able to create them?, im not talking about terraforming of course, that is only part of the idea, is about creating an star system from scratch using resources (suddenly memories about Titan A.E and Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy)

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2014, 03:00:05 pm »

if players can destroy orbital bodies, would they be able to create them?
Out of nothing?  Nah, that's a little too 'out there'.  You might be able to reconstitute broken worlds -- that's about as far out there as we're willing to go for 'natural' objects.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2014, 03:01:51 pm »

in the first one you could build ringworlds, no sun nor planets iirc

edit: ninjad

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2014, 03:02:44 pm »

if players can destroy orbital bodies, would they be able to create them?
Out of nothing?  Nah, that's a little too 'out there'.  You might be able to reconstitute broken worlds -- that's about as far out there as we're willing to go for 'natural' objects.

im talking about gathering resources and then manufacture a whole system, like taking nebulae with huge harvesting ships of gargantuan sizes and use that gas to induce a fusion reaction, thus starting the creation of a star, the rest is matter of time.....

rebuild planets would be a good idea too, but the idea is about making systems from cero, using gathered resources..

think of it like what happens in 2010: Odyssey 2, where the aliens use monoliths to increase the mass of Jupiter until it enters in fusion reaction.....something like that but gathering the resources from asteroids and gas clouds.....
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:04:18 pm by xaritscin »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2014, 03:08:48 pm »

Out of nothing?

What about...out of something? :P

Joking a bit, but xaritscin does raise an interesting point - if there's planet/star destruction, why not creation?
Sure, it would need a very specialized, resource consuming, massive structures, but might be challenging...

Of course, question arises how would you actually implement this in the game in some sort of a sensible matter. What would be the point, the benefits, time & resources vs. total output etc.  :-\
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2014, 03:19:40 pm »

Out of nothing?

What about...out of something? :P

Joking a bit, but xaritscin does raise an interesting point - if there's planet/star destruction, why not creation?
Sure, it would need a very specialized, resource consuming, massive structures, but might be challenging...

Of course, question arises how would you actually implement this in the game in some sort of a sensible matter. What would be the point, the benefits, time & resources vs. total output etc.  :-\

well, its more of a feature i never see in space games, everybody wants to make a Death Star and start pew pewing planets and erradicatare systems but i've never seen a game where you get a tech lvl so high that you can create a Titan device and construct planets whenever you find it necessary, the ringworld idea in Star Ruler seems to be the only case of this, taking in account a Ringworld (or a Dyson Sphere for that matter) is possible in sci fi, in SPORE we got a device that terraformed and induced life in planets, but i would prefer to go as extreme as that and put a machine that can allow me to construct planets and complete systems if i see it fit....its more of a show of power, i have the power to destroy, then i should also have the power to create...

as for other ideas, im wondering if ships in star ruler could have a nomadic style, no, not talking about planets with engines, but non planet bound empires which use spaceships and stations as structures for their manufacture and research....

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2014, 03:25:05 pm »

Of course, question arises how would you actually implement this in the game in some sort of a sensible matter. What would be the point, the benefits, time & resources vs. total output etc.
Yep.  All valid queries we've asked ourselves.

non planet bound empires which use spaceships and stations as structures for their manufacture and research
I've wanted to do a migrant fleet style empire for months but it doesn't seem to be in the cards.  Maybe later when we have more time to consider/test it -- but right now it would defy pretty much the whole balance/economy.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:27:59 pm by Firgof Umbra »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2014, 03:51:58 pm »

I've wanted to do a migrant fleet style empire for months but it doesn't seem to be in the cards.  Maybe later when we have more time to consider/test it -- but right now it would defy pretty much the whole balance/economy.
BSG FTW!!! We really need a space game in that trope....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2014, 03:56:26 pm »

BSG FTW!!! We really need a space game in that trope....

What, you mean like BSG? Already exists as a game.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 13, 2014, 04:00:09 pm »

Posting to watch.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2014, 04:17:39 pm »

So in the first one you could put thrusters on your planets and send them off into deep space to do stuff. Still around this time? And can this be weaponized? Colony Drop style I mean.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2014, 04:21:45 pm »

Still around this time?  And can this be weaponized?
We'd like them to be, yep!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 04:23:43 pm by Firgof Umbra »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2014, 04:25:55 pm »

acording to the livestream they havent reached that part yet, we have yet to see what happens this year, but the game looks good already...

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2014, 10:25:44 pm »

well, its more of a feature i never see in space games, everybody wants to make a Death Star and start pew pewing planets and erradicatare systems but i've never seen a game where you get a tech lvl so high that you can create a Titan device and construct planets whenever you find it necessary, the ringworld idea in Star Ruler seems to be the only case of this, taking in account a Ringworld (or a Dyson Sphere for that matter) is possible in sci fi, in SPORE we got a device that terraformed and induced life in planets, but i would prefer to go as extreme as that and put a machine that can allow me to construct planets and complete systems if i see it fit....its more of a show of power, i have the power to destroy, then i should also have the power to create...

Hmm, Master of Orion 2 had that - Death Star a planet, create new Artificial Planet from the debris.  And Space Empires IV had components that could create stars, or create planets out of asteroid fields.  And ways to construct ringworlds or sphereworlds around a star (massively unprofitable use of resources, but hey :D)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40