Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 40

Author Topic: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]  (Read 84624 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2013, 02:20:09 pm »

Hell yes I'd like to see an MP match!
Good to see this is still here.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2013, 02:25:01 pm »

Yeap yeap! But make sure to store it for future reference!

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2013, 02:40:17 pm »

Good to see this is still here.
I'm glad as well.  I am concerned that at some point I'd come back to this thread and it'd have been locked for inactivity; I guess I have a guardian mod/admin to thank for that.

But make sure to store it for future reference!
Is this even an option on the internet anymore?  Can something not be recorded for effectively eternity automatically?

I do intend to save it if we do one, aye.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2013, 02:41:20 pm »

Threads here don't get locked for inactivity, they just slumber eternally.

Ia Ia forum ftaghn.
Sig! Onol

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2013, 02:44:15 pm »

Can I recommend that when the bullets that are designed to miss a target then they will go wide in all directions instead of just one? besides that, it looks pretty good.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2013, 02:59:47 pm »

That's 'I'a!  I'a!  Forum ftaghn!' I'll have you know.  :D
That's good to know, Xantalos; for some reason I was really certain that the bay12 forums locked inactive threads.

Can I recommend that when the bullets that are designed to miss a target then they will go wide in all directions instead of just one? besides that, it looks pretty good.
The guns have something like a 30-degree cone of accuracy at the moment; even when the bullets are 'off-target' they'll still impact and deal damage to whatever they strike (excepting friendlies).

Ah, I should probably bring that up; perhaps I failed to earlier?  So projectiles in SR2: they're physics-based this time around.  In SR1 it was pre-deterministic but in SR2 unless a bullet collides with something, it doesn't do damage.  I imagine you'd prefer bullets to be going in the general direction of what you're aiming at when your gun doesn't make a perfect shot -- it might hit something else at least. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 03:02:15 pm by Firgof Umbra »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2013, 03:04:19 pm »

I messed up a Lovecraft quote? Shame on me.

If it's left without replies for 120 days it asks you to confirm before replying, but it doesn't lock except if the OP wills it or Toady had to do mod things.

Also loving the fact that bullets are dynamic now.
Sig! Onol

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2013, 05:04:56 pm »

The guns have something like a 30-degree cone of accuracy at the moment; even when the bullets are 'off-target' they'll still impact and deal damage to whatever they strike (excepting friendlies).

Ah, I should probably bring that up; perhaps I failed to earlier?  So projectiles in SR2: they're physics-based this time around.  In SR1 it was pre-deterministic but in SR2 unless a bullet collides with something, it doesn't do damage.  I imagine you'd prefer bullets to be going in the general direction of what you're aiming at when your gun doesn't make a perfect shot -- it might hit something else at least.
ok, I was under the assumption the spray of bullets that were going wide was due to misses, but i take it one or two of the ships were intentionally shooting off target?
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2013, 05:16:31 pm »

i take it one or two of the ships were intentionally shooting off target?
Not intentionally, no.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2013, 05:36:57 pm »

Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch in space!

Might friendly fire be an option? Would be interesting when you try spraying an enemy with bullets, and accidentally vaporize half of your world that just happened to be right behind them.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2013, 08:03:59 pm »

There would be unfortunate implications: ships don't currently care about ships that are in front of them.
So it'd be more likely that you'd accidentally vaporize half your fleet before you vaporized half your world.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2013, 08:42:08 pm »

Ok so quick question: I personally have the first game, but I am UNGODLY terrible at it. I literally can't keep up with the trivial AI.
I have done test games where I would for example, make a 1 system galaxy, and focus my planet entirely on research. The AI will quickly out research me in this scenario inexplicably.

In essence, Star Ruler HATES MY GUTS. I know how irrational it is to assume malevolence from a computer game, but it really is the only explanation at this point.

I found that Star Ruler looked fun, and that it would possibly have been the BEST 4x game of its time, but I simply cannot play it. For whatever trick of psychology or something has left me totally unable to grasp the mechanics in a productive way.

So that said, is there any hope for me in SR2? Is the game still balanced effectively the same? Or will I finally be able to start a game without the certainty of defeat.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2013, 08:48:45 pm »

well sir, you are not the only one who felt that way. SR1 was ridiculously fast paced for most people, I believe Firgof here mentioned the SR2 would be significantly easier to handle!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2013, 08:56:38 pm »

well sir, you are not the only one who felt that way. SR1 was ridiculously fast paced for most people, I believe Firgof here mentioned the SR2 would be significantly easier to handle!
It wasn't that it was "fast paced" it was that I just inexplicably FAILED AT EVERYTHING.

Its not fun to play a game when you know for certain you will lose.
Also I (and everyone reading this, have lost the game)

But yeah, like I said it wasn't even anything TANGIBLE, I approached my failure with THE FUCKING SCIENTIFIC METHOD and that revealed that the game more or less cheated me, despite me not having "cheating ai" on.

Its like this: I make a new ship, that is bigger, more advanced, and in every possible way BETTER then what the AI is using....and the AI wins.
I have no problem with losing (well that's a lie, but I can DEAL with it) but losing for no reason whatsoever is just horrible.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2013, 09:10:49 pm »

Also I (and everyone reading this, have lost the game)

D: ...you dick!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 40